Wii passes 360 as the leader.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I assume you mean Resident Evil 4 (that's the only possibility), so congrats on owning the inferior version of one of the greatest games from the last generation.

By calling the Gamecube version of Resident Evil 1 a REHASH, I believe you destroyed any chance or your posts in this topic ever being taken seriously, or respected.

also, I dont think it's smart to be a "system loyalist" or whatever. buy every system. miss out on nothing.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with you except for one thing, bro. I might be wrong on this but the Sega Saturn, which came before the N64 and their Analog (the Nes Advantage was not analog). The game Knights was the console universe's first Analog controller outing. The game required it for play.

Please don't mistake my opinion on Nintendo as a diss on them. Nintendo has and maybe will always have my favorite series, and with the exception of Majora's Mask, Zelda has always been my favorite series. But on the console side, I really haven't enjoyed a Nintendo game since Wind Waker, and before that, god I can't even remember.

The Wii has potential, but it is a potential that may not be realized for a long time, if ever. Because, yes, while a lot of the games coming out for other systems are on the Wii, they were originally designed for a joystick, and only ported over to Wii (Resident Evil 4 as an example of how to do it right), so most of the time, it isn't a fully-realized application of the system's strengths, rather a cheap attempt to make it use the wand... something that plagues the DS from time to time. So for them to suceed, they need to address every genre with a Wii-only game that is built from the ground up to take advantage of the system and is virtually impossible to play on the other systems. When that happens, I will buy my Wii back. Until then, I have plenty to play.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RE1 for GC FTW. Best version ever, though I missed the crappy acting... 'I hope it's not Chris' blood"

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Didnt require it for play, I've played it using a normal controller (and it sucks doing that). and we're both wrong. the first analog controller for consoles was for the atari 5200, which didnt self-center. there was another for the vectrex that did self-center.

nintendo was just the first to make it a standard feature, I guess. and the nintendo 64 was released about 2 weeks before the saturn 3D controller.

damn confusing game history.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

PlayStation launched with dual analogue flight sticks... it was HUGE. I think one person bought a set too... >.>

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that thing. It was like a silver circle sitting atop a slender controller with a keypad.

Someone brought back some old memories mentioning Golden Eye. Late nights with that one. Late nights! Good times... Remote mines = dead friends and a lot of bitching (with the 007 music playing in the back, and red covering the screen)

7. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

"STOP IT. DON'T...OPEN........................................THAT DOOR!"

Anyone else here still hungry for a Jill Sandwich??

I think more than anything I miss the hilariously large haircut the actor playing Chris Redfield was sporting in the live action opening. That monster coif must have added three feet to his height, plus the look of faux shock on his face when he turned to face the camera was comedy gold.

Anyway, I think what people really need to take away from this is that the Wii and the PS3 haven't even been in the market for a full year yet, there's no reason to dismiss a system so early in it's life cycle. It's also not practical to take most of the numbers out there as fact, considering the many caveats surrounding all three parent companies and their respective mindsets.

It would be nice to adopt the "buy every system, miss out on nothing" mindset, but history proves it's an impossibility. I really doubt many here owned the Neo Geo console, for an extreme example. Personally I'm holding out on a PS3 until they make a price drop that's practical, and the only thing holding me back on an Xbox360 purchase is the reported horrendous console failure rate. Besides, it's nice to go back and play old favorites, and catch up on titles you might have missed the first time around, isn't it??

-Pit-

8. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So far I'm in love with my Wii. It's probably the most fun I've had with a console in years. I'm primarily a Nintendo fan, though I did start liking the PS2... after playing the Wii once, I was more than happy to sacrifice the PS2, my PS2 game library and my Gamecube to Gamestop to help pay for the Wii.

Games you MUST play on the Wii to really get a feel of what the system can do:

The BIGS - What I call the NBA Jam of baseball games. I hate sports games. I loathe them. I can't STOP playing this. It's incredibly fun on the Wii.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - yes, another PS2 port, but the control scheme is FAR superior to the PS2 version... and if you disagree, the graphics boost is nice, plus you can use the classic controller or Cube controller to play it.

Wii Sports - just plain fun!

Metroid Prime 3 - having friends at game stores is fun ;)  Control scheme is insane. From the little I played, this is going to be the template for all future First Person style games for the Wii.

9. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

While I will never get anyone who buys a console and turns around and returns it, at least you have a decent justification for not buying a Wii. It's always about the games, and if a console doesn't satify, go with another. You have an informed opinion, and you're not pissing on the company, the system or its fans to justify your own preferences. Some people have never been able to see past the "Nintendo iz fer kiddiez" bullshit that Sony fans have been trying to pimp for a decade.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Got Xbox, Xbox 360, SNES, Genesis, Jaguar, Gamecube, N64, and PS2, and over a 100 games so please if your gonna talk about respectability, credibility or what ever else makes you sleep well at night then go ahead, your not Wiining me anything

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    does not matter. calling RE1 for GC a "rehash" negated any point you may have had.

and you just listed the jaguar as a way to prove your credibility. damn. don't have a saturn or a dreamcast, but there's the jaguar... eh, I'm just kidding around with you.

okay, seriously, I want to know how how you can consider the GC version of RE1 a rehash. I really do. please explain this.

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't believe this dead horse is still kicking.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll buy one again. I love Nintendo. I just can't afford to have 300 bucks sitting there, when I knew that Warhark, Heavenly and Lair were all coming out the same month, and that I wouldn't be able to get them, but I really wouldn't be playing anything on the Wii either (not until December).

Nintendo makes games that are kid friendly, but I would challenge anyone who hasn't already played it to beat Zelda 1 (second quest). Or Kid Icarus (That game is tough now, heheh).

Speaking of Kid Icarus. Kid Icarus, you need to accept my friend invite, that way I can say that I'm friends with one of my favorite video game characters ever.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    this is the internet. we place dead horses on altars, and beat them eternally as if it were some twisted religious ritual.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    <---- fact.

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Having had the original for PS1, GC version only gave me enhanced graphics and some extra storyline. I never said it sucked, but IT was rehashed. Resident evil 0 on the other hand was new and aside from the ending a nice addition. Jaguar I got at a flea market with 6 games and that was just the collector in me wanting to buy it; it was the first 64 bit system!

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    jaguar was 32 bit. two 32 processors does not equal 64, despite what atari wanted people to believe. were there actually any good games for the thing? I never owned or played one.

RE1 for gamecube was a completely new game. nothing about it felt old. the path through the game was changed, the story was deeper with new characters, the gameplay was improved a lot, and the new graphic engine and crimson head zombies made the game more terrifying than ever.

18. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

Nothing like old school for a challenge. :thumb 

ICARUS FIGHTS MEDUSA ANGELS - I heard the codes don't work on VC, though.

Still holding out hope for either a proper sequel or a modern update...though for now I'll settle for a long overdue appearance in Brawl.

Friend invite?? Sure. Funny though, Windcharger was my very first Transformer.

-Pit-

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And Kid Icarus was my very first game beat. If Nintendo Announced that a new Kid Icarus was coming soon with Metroid-esc play mechanics, I would go and hunt down a Wii again.

Have you heard the ridiculously cool reworked music from KI from the Wii Smash Brothers??

20. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

Indeed I have, though my favorite of the tunes released so far is a toss up between the Zelda remix and Starfox Space Armada. One of the best KI retool tracks in my opinion was featured on the limited Partena's/Palutena's Mirror JP release back in the 80s. It also had a couple of nice remixes from the original Metroid for it's "B" side. You should still be able to find them on a number of websites featuring downloadable game music.

Still love the "death" theme on the SSBB track, though. Hope he makes a cameo in the game.

-Pit-