Wii makes the hot list.... PS3 nowhere to be seen

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mister D, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

2. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Sony gets bitchslapped! :lol 

Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo's gonna rule the Holidays this year. :) 

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

But how can PS3 be on the list?!1! Its not a toy, lol!!1! Its a cell processor based multimedia platform powerfull enough to drive the latest generation of video games and movies in full 1080p high definition!!!111 This all in one media center that will remain the centerpiece of your living room for years to come can be yours for the low low price of $599 US dollars!!!1111

I'll take one Wii please. Sounds more fun. :D 

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

This is a list done entirely by TRU to try to drive sales on those products, and there's no way that they'd put a 600 dollar console when a much cheaper one is coming out. What do you think the average parent is more likely to buy, something that costs 250 or 600, when to them it seems like they do the exact same thing? This list is hardly a judge of anything ( although yeah, the Wii will likely dominate over the PS3 this season, considering how many more Wiis are to be released at launch).

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Poor PS3, can't catch a break can it?

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Forget the rest, where are TF Classics on that list?

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I heard about that too. Not sure if it still is though.

Anyhow, am I the only one who is still going by where their favorite series is going, and not buying into the hype BS this time?

8. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    and the scalpers will now go nuts stock piling that entire list so no kids get any for christmas

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I don't think even that is a good indicator of where to spend your money, it's still buying into the hype that the next game in the series will still be good or even released. I'd wait at least a year and a half after release and take a good look at the current system price and games.

10. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Well then go the stores, and go Brock Samson on the scalpers. What it's the right thing to do.

yeah I know overboard but anyway I must laugh, GO NINTENDO!

11. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I'd wait for the reviews but generally, series like Suikoden, Silent Hill, and Rot3K tend to deliver. I don't see that as buying into hype so much as knowing the series you truly like.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Ultimately, unless your favorite series are partly or wholly owned by one of the console manufacturers, they will eventually be moving to whichever console sells the most. Even the editions planned now could be later ported to another system, or may never happen at all. Am I the only one who remembers the announcement of Final Fantasy VII for the N64? There were people who bought an N64 for that, and although I and many others like the console, the Final Fantasy fans did not get what they wanted that way.

If your hopes are in Nintendo or Microsoft brands, you've got a very safe bet on where those are going to be, as there's no other choice. Almost all of the big titles for Sony consoles over the last ten years are on those consoles only because they've had the strongest userbase. If that changes, so will where the games go. Many of the popular series thought of as "Sony" series moved there from other platforms in the first place. They migrated before, and they can do so again, despite any current announcements. Some of them appear to be in the process of migrating away from Sony already.

13. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    ...I think you're dreaming about the FFVII to N64. There was a conscious decision to move away from Carts and that is what prompted the split between Nintendo and Square. As I'm a friend to the guy who is probably the biggest FFVII fan known to man, and he's never mentioned it, along with not being able to find anything to confirm it, I don't know where you got that.

Anyhow, the fact that series can depart from consoles is why I'm waiting to see where they fall. Yes, they might move but by the time a year or so passes, most series will be where they will be staying, although they might also port to other consoles in the future. By then, most consoles will also drop some in price.

14. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure there was some early rumblings about FFVII being for the N64 very early on; before the Cart/CD split.

Anyway, I'm surprised this isn't adding fuel to the "The Wii is a worthless toy" side of the argument. heh

15. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Not sure. My favorite series have always been on Nintendo, and so that is where I will follow. The Wii itself has me excited, and I can't say whether I'd be more or less excited if another system were doing it.

The reason I got an XBox (after my GCN) was because of KNight of the Old Republic. Most other XB titles I played were multiplatform.

OTOH I've never seen a PS2 title that made me want to break down and buy the system.

16. flamepanther

I got it from following the N64 from all the way back when it was codenamed "Project Reality", and then "Ultra 64". The original list of games planned for the N64 included several infamous games that never saw the light of day (FF VII, Ghosts 'n' Goblins 64) as well as a few that didn't come out until late in the console's life (Mega Man 64, Operation Body Harvest). Square even put out a Final Fantasy N64 promotional video made using Silicon Graphics computers provided by Nintendo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE2vnL0s_9w

The split between Nintendo and Square wasn't about cartridges vs CDs. In order to preserve a "quality ramp" Nintendo wanted to stagger the release of technical info and tools for the N64 to their developers. Otherwise, Nintendo feared that developers like Square, who were known for pushing the SNES beyond what people thought it could do graphically, would hurt sales of games by other developers. Square wanted all the information immediately so that they could start squeezing everything from the system from the beginning. Nintendo refused. Square left. Getting lots of CD space to store pretty but useless FMV was only a bonus.

I'm not sure the people on that side of the argument think or pay attention enough to connect those particular dots.

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

wow....FFVII 64....if they still have the game, they should bring it onto the DS (seeing it just as powerful as the 64), but with a different name. I think it would of been a good game.

and i know there'll be a few (or bunch) that disagree...but:
    GAMEPLAY > GRAPHICS anyday.

18. flamepanther

I doubt the game was ever developed beyond just a tech demo, so I seriously doubt that could ever become a reality.
    You've uttered pure and absolute truth. Anyone who disagrees is in the wrong hobby.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Gameplay > Graphics is true, but no matter how well a games plays, if it has shoddy graphics it will almost always be overlooked by the majority. Sad but true.

The only news I'm really waiting for is news of VF5 on 360... then I won't have to be envious of PS3 owners.

20. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Incorrect. That's not a video from a planned Ultra/N64 game. It's a technical demo that Square created before it had even decided where to go with the series. Those are FFVI characters (Locke, Terra, and Shadow), not original or VII characters. Gamefan ran with that story, and a lot of others picked it up.

http://www.lostlevels.org/200510/

Again, incorrect, Sakaghuchi and Nomura have both stated numerous times that it was due to the CD/Cartridge issue.

From an interview:

A couple of other sites which back up that claim:
    http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~geksiong/papers/sts145/Squaresoft%20and%20FF7.htm

http://www.gamespot.com/features/vgs/universal/finalfantasy_hs/sec1_7_2.html