Wii got six from EA

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Jul 13, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

http://wii.ign.com/articles/718/718418p1.html

Madden has tons of potential, and is the one most likely to sell consoles.

Harry Potter seemed a natural to me, given the "Wii-wand". Not as obvious as SW with a Wii-Saber, but still obvious.

Wii SSX could be lots of fun too, if they use the controller as a Wii-Board.

As for the others, wii'll see. Remember that the Capcom Six did Jack Squat for the GC, so there are no guarantees. But the fact that one of (the?) largest 3rd party developer is excited is a positive sign.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That would probably be different if:
    • The project had been started sooner
    • All six games had actually been finished
    • The three best games out of the set hadn't been ported to PS2

Um, anyway, yeah. EA generally sucks, but it's good to see how much support Wii is getting from major developers early on. This is a much better start than GC had.

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Those of you looking forward to lightsaber battles, get ready for disappointment.

You will never have an accurate sword battle in any Wii game. You will never have the resistance of blocked shots, so the motions will always be canned.

Tennis, Baseball, etc. games like that will be a blast, as you will likely control the swing completely, but sword battles, no way.

4. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Red Steel's been getting some good press because of how well the sword fights play out.

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    But they're preregistered movements, aren't they? For example, you move your Wiimote to the right and the game immediately turns it into the best offense/defense for that situation.

6. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Well, it must be really recent, because at E3 the swordplay was trashed for being akward. Not to mention that the creators have pretty much said the same thing I said, only a little more optimistic by adding "We're trying."

I'm not saying it couldn't still be fun, but you aren't going to have the complete free range of motion. The only way I see it happening is if you physically stop yourself each time you connect in the game, which would seem difficult and forced when you would be blocked on different physical planes.

7. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

First, I don't need to worry about resistance when slicing through Stormtroopers, Clonetroopers, and Battledroids.

Second, while you won't get the actual resistance, if they limited the rumble feature to ls/ls contact, it would be a lot easier for players to fake it.

Finally, Red Steel IS having it's controls reworked following the E3 feedback, but I haven't heard anything about how it's coming along.

8. funkatron101

Ebay:
    That is a good idea about the rumble feature I hadn't thought about that. The rumble may be enough to instinctively stop and pull back. I'm curious as to what would happen if that was ignored though.

Maybe the player could be punished for it, like having his guard down momentarily.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    They could also make some sort of gyroscopic feedback attachment so it would actually feel like you were pressing against something.

10. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Surely if it wasn't pre set movements unless you were trained with a sword you would get your ass kicked by the first enermy you come to

11. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think the Wii launch will be the strongest line-up Nintendo has ever had for a launch.

I so need a Wii ^_^ my GC is so getting turned into store credit... maybe... gotta see if there's a way to transfer GC saves to Wii saves. has that been brought up yet?

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think it uses the same memory cards.

13. flamepanther

Wii games don't use GC memory cards, but the two slots are there under a panel on the side for backward support, along with four GC controller ports.

14. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Flame... I didn't know that and thank you. I just messed my pants in joy.

15. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I'm most curious how Tiger Woods will turn out. The Wiimote doesn't seem to translate directly to a full-on golf swing, but who knows.

-XCN-

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

so how do you transfer Wii saves to other Wii systems....if it only can be online, then that'll suck for some.

and who knows, they might use the GC Mem slots for Wii slots too (ie. PS2 can fit a PS1 card)

and its good to see Nintendo getting back majority of the companies that left.

17. flamepanther

It has support for other forms of flash memory storage for saves, VC games, etc. My recollection is a bit hazy on what format. It might have been SD.

18. OmegaScourge

i thought too but i dont see a SD slot...the only slot i see is a GC mem and controller slot....

19. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2006/06/29/under-the-flap/

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2006/07/10/just-how-many-flaps-does-this-thing-have/

Edit: Also, if we're talking about a very slow paced star wars game where you need to worry about every little block and whatnot, I don't see why it wouldn't work. But if it gets to something of the vain of a hack-n-slash-ish fast paced game(which is really what it should be), a 3rd person game is where it's at. Use a button to get the camera on and move it around or lock on and just go nuts. And I want the swords precise.

20. OmegaScourge

WOW..that was the first time i saw the flap (didn't even know it was a flap - thought it was just the design)...LOL

and know we know....and knowing is half the battle.

i wonder when the next Sims game will show.