Wii got Homebrew

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Nov 24, 2006.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

it aint ROMS though.

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Pah, that's not homebrew. The web browser just plays certain browser-based games.

It'll come, though. I feel it in my heart that we'll be seeing a Hello World by the end of next week.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's not console homebrew in the usual sense (sorta cheating, actually), but it's a neat way to get simple games onto the Wii.

4. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

It certainly opens the doors for homebrew (though I'm not sure if flash counts since it's more of a script than a language) But given that the DS has onboard storage it's inevitable that someone will start up homebrew. It's likely that someone will port linux to it soon.

5. flamepanther

How soon is "soon"? No doubt it will happen within the console's life span, but someone will have to figure out how to force the Wii to run unauthorized code first. Playing Flash games in a licensed browser isn't a step towards that at all, but it might be a decent substitute until then.

I'm interested in whether people will be able to mess around with the Virtual Console stuff once the Wii is hacked. There was a lot of great SNES and N64 homebrew back in the day. It would be neat to see some of that old stuff resurface on the Wii without the scene having to come up with its own SNES and N64 emulators..

6. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Any chance I could get to play Penguin Baseball with the Wii controller? :D 

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

8. flamepanther

Must be the version of SNES9x made for Gamecube. I wonder if the same methods will still work for Wii-specific programs.