Wii details revealed

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by McBradders, May 9, 2006.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

http://uk.revolution.ign.com/articles/706/706158p1.html

Looks like Reggie struck gold again. I have to say, for all Nintendos "idiocy, faults" and refusal to "compete", Reggie still spins it so I get excited. Excellent decision to let the man be the voice of Nintendo.

As for the announcement? Sounds all well and good. With Sony pricing a lot of gamers out of the market, Wii could really wipe the floor this time round. We'll have to wait on Microsoft, Halo 3 and if they have price cut plans to see how this arms race is going to finish up.

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

very nice stuff there... i like the controller a lot too

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Either the other "big secret" has yet to be revealed, or it was that the remote has a built in speaker, which at this point seems like a novelty.

4. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i'm 99% sure Nintendo's got my $ for this go-round.

innovative gaming experience + downloadable retro content / likely being 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the competitors 'real' systems = the win

i'd imagine there'lls till be new PS2 content for at least another 18 months anyways...

EDIT: hey, are the Wii ( <--still hate that name ) discs standard media or are they still propriatary like GC?

5. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

I watched Nintendo's conference live on Gamespot, and I think they're on to something. :D 

Many of the games shown look GREAT to me. Red Steel looked mindblowing, Metroid Prime 3 looked mighty impressive, as did the new Mario and Wii version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Some new franchises were shown that looked intriguing, like Project Hammer, among others. Excite Truck looked fun, holding the controller sideways and turning it like a steering wheel. Same for the new WarioWare.

After the press conference, I'l officially stoked the Nintendo Wii. :thumb 

6. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Two versions of Zelda:Twilight Princess... Super Mario Galaxy... Metroid Prime 3... Excite TRUCK? (where'd the bikes go?) ... it all sounds so spectacular... but where's Kid Icaraus?

7. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

As dumb as it sounds... I think the Wii will be a hard sell to a lot of consumers in Australia. It doesn't sound 'serious' enough, too kiddy. Theres also the fact that a lot of stores in Oz don't really support Nintendo consoles much.

I understand some of the ideas are nifty etc, but somethings look too different to sell to the 'layman' that isn't huge on games. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are traditional games systems with added multimedia (DVD, Blu ray, Photos etc). Consumers 'get' that. Its not so wildly different that it looks like a gamble.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Hmn. I think its one of those hands on things. You wont get it 'til you try it.

Like Eye Toy, explaining it doesn't really work, you have to show or have someone try it for themselves.

9. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

a SNES CONTROLLER(sorta)..........

thats it no more questions ask that is gonna be mine-not in launch though

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's been said some time in the past (when it was still Revolution) that it will use DVD media, and will function as a DVD movie player.

:lol  :D  :thumb  :rock  :dj 

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Going back to the cube for a minuite, that Paper Mario platformer is what has really got me interested out of all the wares in Nintendo's E3 suitcase.

I piss and moan for years about the death of old-style mario and how great a new one would be with fancy modern hardware, then two come come along almost at once.

12. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

Not to mention the recently released Princess Peach and a new Yoshi's Island! I love the old school 2d platformer!

13. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I'm really stoaked for fire emblem and metroid prime 3 on wii. The video of metroid prime 3 was nuts.

Also that disaster game caught my attention as well looks really cool. Looks like nintendo is finally putting out some mature games again.

14. flamepanther

I think today's videos emphasized that Nintendo's strategy for the Wii isn't to avoid targetting hardcore gamers, it's to target everyone.

Did you read about Metroid Prime 3 that you can fire the grapple beam at one enemy with your left hand while shooting at a different enemey with your right? I don't think I've ever really thought of aiming at multiple targets independently before. Mind-blowing.

15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I'm pretty excited that Wii is getting a Resident Evil game. Just no details. I'm guessing it's not RE5... maybe a REmake of 2? mmm

16. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

They didn't say how much it would cost though,, and Wii Details,, woulnd't this almost be wiitails? :D 

17. DragoUnicron

DragoUnicron Dragon Master

http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11455

Just to make sure everyone sees this. That has got to be the best designed controller that I have ever seen! I love the snes controller, and giving it the amount of buttons as the ps controllers may meen that game designers won't be so against letting nintendo in all of the third party games again! Just speculation.

Also, I am really thrilled with all I have heard so far today on this system. Nintendo seems to have put some time into this technology, and I am glad they are continueing to keep some things quiet, like price. Sony has proved in the last week that they are not to be trusted with information on upcoming consoles.

So have we heard anything yet about using to controllers at once for individual aiming (like one guy using two guns)?

I can't wait to see more videos and hear reviews of people actually trying out the new controllers tomorrow!

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I love my Nintendo, but haven't played it much the last 2 years for a variety of factors. KOTOR pulled me into the XBox, and I've been quite happy with it. However, in the last few months I took a spin at Pikmin2, Metroid Prime2 and reimmersed myself in Mario Sunshine (which is highly underrated). They have greatly disappointed me this generation, but I still enjoy these games far more than almost anything on the XBox (exception: KOTOR and maybe Jet Set Radio Future).

With it's price, I'll be grabbing a Wii as soon as I can.

XBox 360? Haven't seen any games I must have yet. I'll wait at least for the first price drop.

PS3? $600? You must be kidding me. My wife's the Sony fan because all she plays are RPGs, but she has so many piled up on her shelf that I don't think she'll need to get a new system for a few years (she's STILL working through some PS1 RPGs, and barely touched her PS2 pile). As for me, I have never liked the DS controller. It's never felt comfortable in my hands, and the decision to stick with it is a big strike against the PS3 in my book (and yeah, I know I'm in the minority).

If I were MS, I would not take Sony's high price as a sign to keep the 360 cost as is. Take the chance to undercut them even more - turn that price tag into an albatross.

I don't know who will "win" this time out. Nintendo shows the potential to be either a big disaster or smash success. It's taking SUCH a different tack than the "competition" that I don't know how gamers (and potential gamers) will respond.

Sony and MS seems to be playing it conservatively, which minimizes risk. Sony may have the more powerful system, but right now those differences appear minimal, and that cost WILL turn off many potential customers for some time. Remember, Sony was in a similar situation during the first year of the PS3. Shortages of consoles, and a dearth of quality titles. It wasn't until the start of its second year that Sony kicked ass, undercutting the launches of XB and GCN with the suprise hit GTA3 (plus GT3 and Devil May Cry). If MS get a "must have" title this year, it may well repeat Sony's performance.

In fact, the odds are good the killer apps will be what decides the battles this time out. Last generation, N64 had SM64, OOT and Goldeneye (among many others), which allowed it to stay competitive with the PSX, which had fighting games, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy (which really turned the system's fortunes around).

This time, XBox has Halo, PS2 has GTA, and GCN I think has failed to have that sort of breakout hit (not that there haven't been great games - they just didn't seem to generate much excitement).

For the next generation? Hard to say. I would say if Nintendo's gimmick works well, it has a great chance to have the mold breaking game everyone will want to play, but that's a big if right now.

19. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Yep that's the big secret (you can tell it was a secret because the DS3 doesn't have it).

I thought it was a simple novelty at first too, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it, especially if it's a quality speaker. I like the idea that my gunshots will come from my gun, or that, one day, I'll hear the sweet, sweet hum of lightsaber igniting in my hands.

20. flamepanther

I think the bow and arrow is actually the best application mentioned yet. :)