Wii 480i vs. 480p

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MegaMoonMan, Mar 7, 2007.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Does anybody have their Wii set up for 480p and widescreen? How does it look? Is the picture a ton better than the normal 480i?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've only seen Zelda in both 480i and 480p. The 480p setup was worlds better. If you have the capabilities to do so, I highly recommend using the component cables for 480p.

3. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I do now. :)  My new TV just got delivered today before work, I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. I'm just hoping the new component cables I got cheap will do the trick - I don't see why they wouldn't. I also got some new cables for my old Xbox, PS2, and DVD player.

I also grabbed a cheap $20 component switch box. I've heard the quality on a manual switch can be bad on big TVs at high resolutions, but I'm probably not going to run anything over 480p just yet, and it's only a 30" screen. I don't think I have anything that supports anything over 480p anyway.

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The Xbox games will look really good as well. Especially if you have games like Burnout. The PS2 will vary depending on if the games support progressive scan. Tekken 5 and RE4 look absolutely stunning for PS2 games. Games that don't support progressive scan will actually look pretty bad on an HDTV.

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    How about Gamecube games on the Wii? Do you know if they support higher resolutions? I've still got Gamecube RE4 and Metroid: Echoes to beat, I'm hoping they look just as good (if not better) on the Wii with component inputs.

6. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Is it true when running Virtual Console games with the Wii in 480p it stretches the games to fill the screen?

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I believe both of those games supported progressive scan and should look much better.

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, unlike the 360, the Wii itself won't recognize when a game doesn't support widescreen (Virtual Consolr or otherwise) and will automatically stretch the game. You can just change the screen size (on your TV) to 4:3 instead of 16x9. But the games all run in progressive scan and look much improved than if they weren't.

9. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Ah yeah, I didn't think about hitting aspect on my TV. Crisis averted then. :) 

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The Metroid Prime games, like pretty much every first-party and second-party GC game, supports progressive mode. RE4, sadly, does not. The PS2 version does, but ironically it still looks worse in progressive mode than the Cube version looks in standard interlaced mode.

11. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    On a standard TV, I would agree, but non-progressive scan games just look abysmal on HDTV's, regardless of the system. I'd rather play the PS2 version on an HDTV than the Gamecube version because of how much sharper the details are. On a standard def TV, the GC version is aces though.

12. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

It runs in progressive, just unfortunately not true anamorphic. I've run the game on my Wii. It kind of shrinks the image, but it sure does look good otherwise :p 

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You should try them out before you decide that. I've played the GC version on a large HD widescreen TV, zoomed to fill the screen, and it looked fine. Playing the PS2 version in progressive mode on a similar screen just makes the lack of antialiasing more obvious. The models and textures are still less detailed than the Cube version, so the extra clarity doesn't give you anything but sharper jaggies.
    Ah, my mistake. I knew there was something it didn't support. That does explain why it can still look so much better than the PS2 version.