Wifey wants a small PC. Netbook or laptop?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hook, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Getting a new laptop for the significant other. She wants something small to bring anywhere, thus doesn't want something with a 15+ inches screen.

She digs those 10-11 inch Netbooks, but something smells fishy. Why is that thing a sub $300 computer? Windows 7 Starter Edition? Why do I have the feeling that thing is gonna be obsolete in no time?

I'll admit I know little about Netbooks, but they don't look like they can handle apps and data like a standard laptop.

Does anyone have a Netbook? What are its limitations? Should I stay in the laptop category and get the smallest one available?

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Depends on what she wants to do with it. Without getting technical to point that I don't understand what I'm saying, the most you should want out of a netbook is something to browse the internet on. If she's planning on running lots of programs, or playing Crysis, what have you, netbooks are not going to cut it.

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    netbooks are great for playing on the internet, some mild productivity stuff in terms of word processing, spreadsheets, etc.. and most of your average tasks. Basically it can handle ms office for the most part (though I've never been a big fan of using powerpoint on it due to the screen size). I've used it for dreamweaver though, as well as a number of other programs.

Are you going to do video editing on a netbook? not likely. The same thing goes for games. You'll probably be able to play plants vs zombies, but don't expect to be playing a whole lot more unless you're looking into a gaming netbook from razer or something like that (which will cost you).

The best advantage though that netbooks have over the average laptop though (besides the portability) is the battery life. Netbooks with led screens are clocking in with 8+ hour battery life.

Personally, I love netbooks and have no real interest in going back to a laptop as far as anything related to classes goes. In terms of home use, I've got a desktop for that, so there's not a whole lot in it for me to go to a laptop.

oh, just remember though, netbooks don't have optical drives, so anythign that will be installed will have to be done with either a downloadable version, or with an external disk drive

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I've had a, Asus netbook for about a year and a half. I use it to tkae back and forth to school for basic stuff and it's pretty awesome for that. Battery life is awesome, 6+ hours. I've got my desktop at home for anything major. If she just wants to have a convenient little computer that she can pull out and check her email, do some surfing, word processing, etc... a netbook will be fine. Mine is pre-Windows 7, so it runs XP, but from what I understand the most annoying thing about Windows 7 Starter is the inability to change your desktop wallpaper.

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    See, that right there is a deal breaker. My wife loves to change her desktop wallpaper with her flavor of the day picture. Plus the no optical drive thing won't cut it, as she'll want to watch some of her Disney DVDs on it.

Looks like we'll be shopping for a full-featured, small laptop then.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Get her a standard laptop with a 15 inch or so screen. This allows plenty of screen real estate for documents, spreadsheets, internet and the odd bit low grade gaming (facebook, flash, card games or really old games) and isn't too big to lug around and power use is pretty good.

For example:

Toshiba - Satellite L640.
    2.53Ghz CPU
    4GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    14" Screen
    Windows 7 OS (given the price point, probably home premium)

Unit going for $899 at a major electronics store here in Aus.

7. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Would one of those netbooks run windows map programs?
    I've been thinking of getting one for out on the road.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Stay away from the netbooks

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes –do that.

Look at Tiger Direct and Newegg, there are some reasonably priced laptops out there.

10. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I just got a netbook (Aspire One D225) a couple of days ago and I can say this....
    If you want to use a Netbook at its fullest, get a external DVD drive and install windows XP to use it at its fullest because Starter sucks... I haven't done that yet tho.... But I'm planning on it!

But the highest game you can play on it and get some lag is Doom 3.... Its not made for gaming basically...
    I do play Older games on here like Starcraft Brood wars tho!

And if you get one.... I suggest you get these special balls that holds the Netbook up to let it air out, or you will burn it out! (Got them at meritline - 2 pieces Mobile Devices Cooling Ball For Laptop Computers.... FYI, they can be used for any type of laptop and I think if you have a laptop and you don't want to burn it out... Get 3 dollars and get them!)
    [​IMG]

Basically the only 2 problems I have with it is Windows 7 Starter and the cooling problem but its fixed now and for less then 3 dollar! =)
    Other then that, its a perfect little pc that will be I will be using for surfing the net, school work, writing, IMing, and So on!
    Well, I use my giant monster computer for killing people in Team Fortress 2. :ev: 
    OH and audio/video editing!

Oh and FYI, you can change the background but you have to do this whole process by going in to the Regedit.
    There is always a way around EVERYTHING on computers!
    But here is a list of stuff you can't do - Windows 7 Starter Limitations?

If you have the extra money to get a laptop, go for it.... But I will say this, I'm enjoying my Netbook alot and its not as bad as everyone thinks it is and I dealt and played with alot of different computer and laptop for a while.

For 200 dollars.... I don't think its a bad little computer.
    Its better then a Ipod or carrying around a Mac!
    xD

11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got rid of an Aspire One. Learn from my mistake. Windows 7 Starter Edition, with everything set to look like Classic Windows will blow XP out of the water. The sad thing about my AOD was that it came with XP, but it was basically run in a virtual console kinda deal. It was running really, really slow and I went to restore it using the disc set I made and it loaded like Vista/7, and then proceeded to turn into XP. I tried installing Windows 7 Home Premium, because it said it could run it at the bare minimum. I never did try Starter on it's own, from a plain 7 disc. I should've, I found out. It works much better if you install the stuff from the ground up.

But, in general, I must agree with the consensus, stay away from Netbooks. Although, for surfing, it's pretty nice. And the AODs have a tremendous soundchip. It seems like a run of the mill Realtek chipset, but plug in some headphones or real speakers and you'll be surprised by the power, depth, and bass that comes out of that little beast. Puts the Realtek chipset in my laptop to shame. Plus, you can buy an external drive that runs on USB power to play and/or burn DVDs.

But, a small laptop would probably be best for your wife. However, the more compact you go, the more power you sacrifice, or if it is powerful, the more money you'll pay.

And do yourself a favor, skip Macbook anything. It's far too expensive for what you receive. You can buy a Macbook killer from HP, with basically the same specs, if not better, for half the price.

Here you go: This is the one they're calling the Macbook Air killer. HP Pavilion dm1 and dm1z series | HP® Official Store

Dual core processing, 2GBs of RAM, can use a USB powered optical drive/burner. Plenty of power for the price and size.

12. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I have an MSI Wind U100. Don't believe those lies about Windows 7 Starter. Yes well it does have a multi-task limit but I've never hit it. Don't believe when they say you can't run VMs in it because you can. Don't believe when they say you can't join domains or access network shares because you can.

Anyways, I only used Starter for a little bit but that one got sold out from under me. My current one, same model, has Win7 Pro on it and I primarily use it to play music. I have used it on the road but a mouse is a definate requirement.