Wicked loose Alt. Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Matrix Soul, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Does anyone else who have Alt. Prime have this problem? His joints are ultra loose! Waist, Hip connected to the legs, leg itself, how can I tighten them up? He can barely hold a pose

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Put a little bit of super glue (a small drop or two) in the joints. Let capillary action make the glue seep a little bit into the joints. Keep moving them though every moment or two to make sure they don't get glued stuck. It should add enough onto the joints so that they get tighter. Just keep doing that till they get to the tightness you want them.

'Swhat I do with my tfs. Ball-joints, ratcheting joints, friction joints. It works just as well on them all.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    To add to the previous post...

Take the ball-and-socket joint apart, put the glue in, put it back together, swivel it all around, then take it back apart, and let it dry. Leaving it together while the glue dries is just asking for trouble.

4. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    Good advice, but I can sense that taking Alt Prime's legs apart is going to be a B*tch :( 

5. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Whenever I tighten joints, I prefer to use clear nail polish, myself. I apply a thin layer to the ball joint, let it dry separate from the socket of the figure, and pop it back in when done.

I tried the superglue method, but leaving the parts in the figure together proved fatal for my BW Lazorbeak. His legs became fused together because I couldn't keep the joint moving frequently enough, Just my personal preference, but I wouldn't touch that stuff again.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the super glue method works but as Chosen mentioned...one has to move the joints frequently...one of my ML figures suffered such a fate.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Uhm... no.. It works good if you DISCONNECT THE JOINT AFTER APPLYING. He wouldn't have had that problem had he done it the way I said. Superglue is better than nail polish because it's more permanent and doesnt' wear off after a while of use.

8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    By the way... I got Alt Prime yesterday, and to be blunt, he is a MESS.

A kibbled, loose-jointed mess. Think of the first run of Takara Jazz reissue and you will get a feel for how loose Alt Prime is.

I'll have to dissassemble him completely and tighten every single joint on him.

Then get the Binaltech version when it comes out.

Then sell my Alternators Prime.

:cry 

9. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    Ok, so it's not just me then.... How much of a pain do you think it would be to disassemble him? I see some one way pins on the legs, and I'm not entirely sure on how his leg is assembled, must take a closer look. Did your door keep popping off too?

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At least you HAVE him...

11. Hook

Facebook:
    The left door keeps popping off, and the hood won't close properly in vehicle mode.

I've looked at him carefully and it doesn't seem too complicated to fix him up. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem bo be a balljoint in sigh on him, so it won't be as easy as popping out the balljoint and adding superglue, epoxy or nail polish. It look like the truck bed/legs have to be completely take apart.

I'll give it a try tonight and keep you posted.

12. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    It's funny you say that, because my left door keep popping off too, the right one's not even a problem. If you put the arm back correctly, the hood should close properly, you really have to push the shoulder part in, took me forever to figure it out.

I was thinking, if it's going to be taken completely apart, I should probably give him a fresh coat of paint as well, so the reds are consistent

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The man speaks the truth. Nail polish works fine, but may have to re-apply later on.
    Ive nail polished some Beast Wars & GI Joes then came back with a super glue vengeance. They're all still so nice n tight like new.

Alt Prime sounds like a damn project

14. Hook

Facebook:
    Alrighty. I just finished reassembling him. I've tightened his hip articulations, knees and swivel movement in his legs.

It's a really simple task. The hip area can be opened by removing the two small screws on the back plate. Each leg has 1 screw which holds the hip joints. Add epoxy, superglue or clear nail polish on the post of the hip and leg joints and let dry. Reassemble everything by making hsure each screw goes back where it was before, as there are different sizes of screws.

The legs themselves were a tad trickyer, but not much more. Look at the inside of each leg and locate the two screws. Remove them and put them aside. Now remove the screw holding the spoiler near the tailgate and remove the spoiler. Lastly, flip open the kneecap and you will see a tiny screw.

Now that all 4 screws are removed, gently pry open the leg and remove the leg assembly. Just like the hip section, there's a screw holding the leg assembly. Be careful when opening it, there's a spring inside. Again, add your favorite 'tightener' and let dry. Repeat steps on the second leg.

While your joints are drying, take the rest of the figure and tighten every single screw you can find. My Alt Prime had no less than 6 loose screws on it.

I should have taken pics of the dissasembly process but it's pretty straightforward. Just don't rush it and it'll be fine.

Now my Prime displays great in robot mode, but the hood in vehicle mode is still problematic and won't close properly. I know that the shoulders are properly pushed in and I am thinking that the problem lies in the hood hinges being slightly crooked, as the gap seems wider on one side, similar to the crookedness in the leg assembly of Cybertron Soundwave.

Hopefully the Binaltech version will be fine straight out of the box!

15. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    Thanks for the awesome tutorial, I shall rush my Alt Prime into the operating room as soon as my deadline's over.

Crash cart, Stat!

16. Hook

Facebook: