Why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hooligan, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Active Member

I've been following Transformers for my entire life really. I love G1, and like most fans I consider that to be the definitive version of Transformers, but there have been MANY different versions over the years. Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise, Armada, Energon, the recent Transformers Animated, and I'm not even going to go into the comics.

So much has changed in the Transformers Universe over the years from the look of the robots to what they can do and what they transform into. Hell we even have a Transformer that turns into a Plant....A PLANT!!! If you really want to see how much Transformers has changed over the years, just line up toys of every single Optimus Prime toy ever made and you'll see it.

So my question is, why does Michael Bay have to do the movies just like G1? Ever other incarnation of Transformers has somehow evolved it or added to the long history of the franchise, so why do fans feel Michael Bay have to restrict himself to following G1 step by step?

This goes back to the first movie. When all the designs started leaking, the fans were PISSED!!! They don't have the blocky look of G1!!! Its totally different! Optimus isn't a flat nose truck! Bumblebee isn't a Volkswagon! OMG!!! Well why can't Bay create his own versions of these characters? Why do they have to be just like they were back in the 80s? I mean like I said, just line up all the Optimus Primes over the years, and you can see the changes: Flat nose truck, Firetruck, Lion, Gorilla, Bat, and God knows what else. Hell I think he was a Bison once...

Now we go into the 2nd movie, and I'm hearing alot of complaints again: Soundwave wasn't done right, Devestator wasn't done right, this character didn't get enough screen time, that character didn't look right and so on and so on.

But why does everything have to be the way it was back in G1? Every other version of Transformers (sans Beast Machines) has been accepted by fans as contributing in some way to the franchise, so instead of nitpicking over what they didn't get right (Right = how well they follow G1 apparently) why don't we just accept this as another step in the evolution of Transformers?

I haven't seen Revenge of the Fallen yet (I'll see that bad boy next week) but I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed the first film and in no way was it a disservice to Transformers, so if Bay manages to entertain me again, I'll be happy.

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    You really think it's just like G1? I mean sure, it includes characters from the series, but exactly like G1 it is not.

Actually, I'm more suprised that someone actually DOESN'T want it to be a G1 copy. It's about damn time...

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Active Member

I thought the first movie had a good number of G1 elements, but I see it as Bay's universe, and basically he can do whatever he wants as long as its entertaining & fun.

4. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I am glad you got what you wanted and are content with this movie. I can understand that you'd like the movie. But can you not understand why others wouldn't like the movie? Its simply their gut reaction that they don't like it - are you one to say what is and what isn't an acceptable reason to like/dislike something?

Personally, I didn't like the first movie for

1) piss poor plot
    2) almost non-existent characterization
    3) shaky cam
    4) use of Decepticons as raging monsters

None of those things have anything to do with G1. I am looking at this as a completely new series. However, if they're going to use a character from a previous series - then I think they should have stuck close to the source material. It is my humble opinion, that they did not.

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    ......I love you.

6. xxsoundwavexx

xxsoundwavexx Well-Known Member

well i grew up with G1 BUT ,and this is 2009 now and me i have no problem with how bay did the robots.. i mean come on do we really wanna see BLOCKS in live action??? if u think for a min how that would look u would stay in horror...and the ppl complaning about the movie and movie time ect ect ect, lets get real AND give a chance to bay, he's trying hes best to do a great movie.BUT he also has a BUDGED to work with... he dont and unlimited ammount of money if he did trust me he would make EVERY TF FAN HAPPY.and i am not saying the film is perfect i know it has it flaws but what movie doesnt???????

7. xxsoundwavexx

xxsoundwavexx Well-Known Member

yep 100% agreed

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's a matter of expectations from a major film compared to the expectations out of a cartoon.

It might have been easier for fans to expect less out of the cartoons because let's face it the really great cartoon series are really few and far between. So a poorly translated imported Transformers series is just rather par for the course.

Get to big movies and fans start expecting something like Spiderman, Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, the good Star Wars movies. We just expect that the flaws we accept in rather cheap to make cartoons aren't going to be in movies that cost millions to make.

So in Transformers cartoon people might be comparing it to say Pokemon and going well relatively speaking it's not that bad then. But with a movie people are going to compare it to the best of the best stuff they can find which makes it harder.

Perhaps ideas like no set number of robots to combiner and the other new ideas would be what we were talking about if it was a cartoon. But since it's a live action movie we tend to spend all our time bashing each other about it either being the greatest film or a horrible film. Middle votes don't count for some odd reason.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

Must have missed a lot of episodes of the cartoon (Kremzeek comes to mind).

I think Ash hit the nail on the head here. With the massive budget and equally massive mainstream publicity that comes with a feature film expectations run high (that and fans tend to think the quality of a movie reflects on themselves somehow, for otherwise being a fan of the franchise). Suddenly people feel they have to be stark black or white on the issue and refuse to hear an "eh, it was alright" or "it could've been better"; it's just for or against.

10. man-frog

man-frog Well-Known Member

Just like G1

You said it yourself Hooligan all the lines have an Optimus character so I guess, under the logic in your post, that all lines are, "Just like G1" in at least one way (if not many).
    I think the mix of indelible, if old, characters and new styling is in the tradition of all Transformers lines to date. Old mixed with new (just like the movie's target audience). It's all buisness as usual for Transformers.

11. vanylapep

vanylapep Well-Known Member

When someone says they prefer G1, why does everyone associate G1 with blocky robots?

You know, they could update the robots to be more 2007 and less blocky, but still keep them recognizable as Transformers G1, not some weird monsters..

Bayformers are extremely distant to G1. Anyone heard the commentary? The reason why Optimus was the only one recognizable is because it was designed by a Japanese artist that was pissed at the initial design (he screamed "this is a disagrace you guys are doing to transformers!") lol.

12. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Hooligan, I agree about how everyone was complaining. I'm happy you made this thread to balance out all the negativity.

13. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    You mean like Classics/Universe kinda aesthetics?

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It just ended up as part of the fighting somehow. Anything G1 is blocky anything movie is Bayformers. When people want to start some sort of fight they need some sort of insult to get it all started. So now blocky and Bayformers has moved from an attempt at being descriptive to being combative.

At least we don't have to come up with words for all the other styles we've gotten over the years.

15. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    well in the second one, the plot is even more piss poor, there is a little more characterisation (moves away from ironhide and ratchet, and onto starscream and jetfire), less shaky cam but infinitely more slow motion and sunsets and jets taking off. it's clear now that in the first movie, they weren't intended as raging monsters, they were just intended as generic footsoldiers. this continues in the second movie, only with some on the autobot side too.

for characters being close to the source material.. ravage is spot on, starscream very far from the mark

16. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

G1 IS The Transformers.
    Every other incarnation is an Elseworld like in the super hero comics.
    There have been dozens of variations for Superman, but the real one is the classic, the original.
    If the movie was based heavily on Beast Wars, it wouldn't have been the real Transformers.
    G1 is the most recognized in the world.
    G1 Optimus Prime is a pop culture icon. Optimus Primal not.
    One day, if a faithful G1 movie will be made, nobody will care anymore of Bayformers.
    It will age horribly and be recognized for what it really is: a poorly written immature comedy with Bionicles.

17. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

Well said. I didn't mind the term 'bayformers' at first, as they were so different it was OK to have a term for them. But now you see it as derogatory, and that's wrong. You don't like the way they look? Fine, it doesn't bother me. But don't make me think you are disgusted at my taste!

18. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

I also hate the term Bayformers. Like it isn't worthy of being caalled transformers..

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He doesn't. Some people just don't liek some aspects of the movie and automatically think that making it G1 would fix it.

It wouldn't.

Well, that makes two of us.

20. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

You are awesome.