Why you should never expect a good story out of Transformers.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Leather Elbows, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    People always say the stories of the movies suck. Of course they do. Did you ever realize how Transformers ''stories in general are bad and cheesy. G1, Prime, ETC all have very meh storylines. Transformers are awesome because they look, sound and do awesome things. Plus they transform! Think about it. They can have cool characters but none of them are ever developed and all the shows have plot holes(Unicron as Earth ruined TF Prime's what was a so far descent enough story)

2. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

I can't agree with you more, well that can be misunderstood.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Obviously you've never read any of the comics. They can be scattershot, but they're there.

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Uh. Ok. I disagree, but I have a feeling that it is worthless to discuss about it.

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Beast Wars disagrees. As does Animated. And to some extent Prime.

Seriously this is just a baseless and silly statement. Batman and Spiderman have silly origins and are awesome because of action, and somehow, they've managed to get MULTIPLE movies with a good story.

Transformers are no different than any other comic book series. To say we should expect bad stories is just lame. Not to mention with Bay's versions he hacks the story up quite often, or changes things on the fly, which changes the flow of the story.

6. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I really dgaf about story and plot. Im there for the tf's and the action scenes.

7. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A good story is a good story. It doesn't matter what it's about. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Ratatouille win a number of Oscars, a rat that wants to cook. Isn't the Artist nominated for Best Picture? A completely silent, completely black and white film made in 2011.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Ignorant people like the OP, with their stunted imaginations and low standards, are the reason why hacks like Michael Bay can get away with piss-poor storytelling and why no improvement can be made in that department with regards to the live-action TF films.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    DOTM gave us a good story.

A good story doesn't always mean a solid plot or that every scene is great. The plot of DOTM had a few nicks and tears, but the overall story it told was good. Megatron makes a deal with the past Autobot leader to rebuild Cybertron by transporting it with said leader's technology. Meanwhile you have the twists of Soundwave kidnapping Carly, the attack on Chicago and the infiltration of the Decepticon stronghold, the relationship of Optimus and Sentinel and Optimus' regret at unleashing him on their world soley of his own want to save a friend.

10. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Marvel comics (G1), IDW, Dreamwave, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Animated, Exodus, War for Cybertron,Etc.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You can make an action-packed sci fi film that's good a solid story with plenty of twists and turns, like The Fifth Element, or an action movie that is legitimately good from a perspective of cinematic analysis, like Robocop. Even a simple conept like Transformers can be used as a foundation for a more complex story or one that is "deeper" from a metaphorical or thematic perspective.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    How was that a "plot hole"?

13. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh god.....this is one of "those" threads.

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So because Transformers has never had a good story, it should be doomed to never have a good story?

Ok whatever you say.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pffft. Just because it hasn't happened yet, it doesn't mean it still can't or won't.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to disagree that you can't make a good story out of Transformers. When you start breaking down Transformers into it's parts there are lots of classic story telling elements to exploit.

Good vs Evil. The protagonist that must stop the antagonist is about as old as story telling.

War. Plenty of stories set around some great conflict.

Fish out of water. The Autobots are from another planet without organic life so everything on Earth will be new a different.

Discovery. Whoever the humans are for the film you've got that moment when they find out there is more to the universe than the first thought.

Danger around any corner. Played up right you'd never know what's just a car and what's a robot until it was too late.

To say you can't have a good story out of Transformers because G1 had so many weak stories is bit like saying you can't have a good story in sci fi movies because Plan Nine from Outer Space had a bad story. Transformers has all the elements that countless other stories have had they just happen to have thrown in robots as an extra element.

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I'm gonna' have to disagree with this. Beast Wars, Animated and TFP have shown that this franchise can have great storytelling.

Subject matter has virtually no bearing on whether or not a 'good story' can be told from it. Talking ants? A Bug's Life. A 'space opera'? Star Wars. Monsters vs aliens? Monsters vs. Aliens. Transforming alien robots based on toys? Yes, even that.

18. Duffcon

Duffcon Well-Known Member

Read the new ongoings from IDW. Great stuff so far. Many of the comics from Marvel and DW were great too. DOTM had a good story. So did the first TF live action movie. ROTF was pretty bad. TF Prime is an awesome show so far. Just because they've taken a new twist with Unicron, doesn't mean its bad, (or a "plot hole", which doesn't make sense). Beast Wars was phenominal, Beast Machines, (although divergent), was great in of itself. Animated was good.

You have a baseless argument here. If you don't like any of it, why are you a fan?

19. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

Like many others have said, Beast Wars and Prime had good stories, never watched enough Animated to really care.
    DOTM had a solid story, so did TF07, Energon had a good story, it was so good they repeated it about 5 times in the same season.

20. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    You know what I mean. It's ridiculous. ''Your earth isn't filled with magma as your science has suggested''. We would of found out by now if there was a giant robot thing down there