Why you love the Movie Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Jun 5, 2007.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    1-Except for Megatron, they're ALL realistic vehicles. No more crappy beasts and totally crapastic made up alternate modes.
    2-Automorph is the best gimmick we've had in years.
    3-Complex transformation for pretty much all the figures.
    4-Unique heads.
    5-Cool movie to go with them.

2. Lord Drungar

Lord Drungar professional slacker

except for megatron and scorponok

3. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Right, I forgot about Scorponok. :D 

4. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Dude!
    What is wrong with Alt or Binals for that matter ?!?

5. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Huh? We're talking Movie TFs here, not Alternators. Never said I didn't like Alternators (I really do).

6. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

1) Its a truly bare bones re-imagining of G1, not just a remake.

2) First mainline Jazz figure since G2.

3) I can see elements of every TF series in the various designs.

4) First meaningful and logical human involvement in the story.

5) First time the mainline Autobots are not only real vehicles but to proper scale.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Points at sig. And at Frenzy.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with everything Megatroptimus listed..... and would also add that they are the first significant "change in aesthetic direction" since RID. Which is good. The classic "Transformers Look" is great and all, and I don't think it will ever really go away.... but it's sure nice to give it a rest for a bit and try something new.

I think the movie designs really pushed the toy designers to come up with some creative new solutions, and transformations that we haven't seen before. You can feel the creativity oozing from 80% of the movie toys.

The realistic alt modes and lack of external gimmicks (minus a few missile launchers, but those are so old-school they could hardly be considered a gimmick) really brings the franchise back to its original core idea: robots in disguise.

I hope this thread doesn't take a turn for the ugly....... :( 

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Highly detailed. Intuitive complex transformations(not hard transformations, not transformations that are irritating, but pleasant transformations; ones that most fans would appreciate, these are not overly simple yet not extremely hard, a good balance). Transformations that are a step above classics and the armadaverse trilogy.(transform movie starscream and see what I mean). The automorph gimmick should be a permanent one now, its awesome.

The level of detail along with the complexity(don't get me wrong, these are not difficult transformations) make the entire armadaverse trilogy look very simple in comparison.

Also for example, put robovision Prime next to Classics Prime. Arguably the best Primes in recent years, and some of the best mainline Primes ever made. Yet look at how much they differ not only in transformation but in level of detail. Different purposes, different reasons sure, but there is a huge difference that can be appreciated.

10. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

And the Protoforms. I also call shenanigans on six inch toys being realistic portrayals of entirely fictional robots. :lol : Of course, I jest.

1. Minus the unnecessary beast-hate, yeah, I like them being realistic.

2. More importantly, we're getting realistic and current vehicles, especially unique stuff like the Buffalo and customized cars (and tank, I suppose).

3. Complex transformations on even the Deluxes are great. Looking at the robot mode alone isn't enough these days - I could even do that with Big Convoy, but not Bonecrusher.

4. Too early to call it "best" for me, but Automorph is great.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wonder if automorph will stay in future lines aside the movie line. Like the animated cartoon for next year. Its not so much an automatic transformation, and more like "some parts moving in unison". The label or the way its described is rather misleading, some of my friends were asking if they automatically transform themselves, and they don't. Its something hard to explain but easily realized once you transform one in your hands for the first time.

I grew to like the movie aesthetic and the only sad thing is that by the next 2 movies, the toys we love now might look primitive. In the end, they can be appreciated for the advances they held for this time. At the end of the day they are great toys.

I think the weapons integration is great too. I also found that Starscream has way more homages then people realize. I've gotta do my breakdown of him soon to point all of it out.

This is a good line. I wonder how long it is planned. I wonder if we will see any new unseen movie merchandise at botcon for later this year. I hope we do!

*BTW I am so glad real gears came out too*

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    1) Something new and fresh

2) Unique looks for classic characters, not just regurgitated designs (not that I don't enjoy the homages in past lines)

3) Nice variations of alt modes!

4) Plus NEW, NEVER BEFORE used alt modes!

5) The Automorph gimmick. I wouldn't say it's the best gimmick ever personally, since I've had a few problems with it, but they have been minor so I do like the gimmick overall

6) Bonecrusher=Quasimodo TF!

7) Bonecrusher hates all other TF lines, so I must comply

8) REAL GEAR!

13. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

1. Real vehical alt modes in mainline!
    2. Gimmic doesn't really hinder most of the figures.
    3. Saving lots of money because of bad Decepticon designs.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    completely new. These figures are unlike anything we've seen before. the transformations are completely new, and aesthetics are completely different. We havent seen innovation like this since Beast Wars.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i am really surprised at how ive embraced the movie designs. they just flat out rock.

i dont know if i want the trend to continue (i still like the classic as my fave modern line) but i'm just enjoying the moment. theres so much good stuff out there, from action figures to books to underwears, tis a good time to be a TF fan.

and thx to merch i was meh with the movie but im now really looking fwd to it. yay!

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unlike other movie lines, there's not too much made-up crap, like sea-green water battle Spider-Man with Spiderfish companion and fishing line.

And Leader Prime simply rocks. I might end up taking it to work with me.

-Tony!

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great sculpting and detail. I can nitpick here and there, but at the end of the day the complexity of detail just out does any previous line.

18. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:

*spoilers*

Doesn't Frenzy have a boombox alt mode?

*end Spoiler*

19. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

The excitement of a live-action movie of based on childhood friends is a big part of it. Even though we've had a lot of homages through the years, Alternators/Binaltech, and Classics, this is the first time it really feels like some genuine G1 love. Peter Cullen is back. 'Nuff said!

Though the coolness of the toys can't be denied and is the other big part of this. The designs are refreshing and very unique. The automorph gimmick coupled with the detailed movie-based designs has made for fun toys that look great and capture some of the soul of the old-timers in a completely new and interesting way. It's not the tiny robot in a shell of RID or the blocky forms we're accustomed to since we were kids. Largely great designs (I still wish Starscream looked more like an F-22 all around and that Blackout was bigger but...) that are oodles of fun, tied to something many of us have waited for most of our lives makes for a popular combo.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I don't honestly see how that's a spoiler. It's widely known by now, or should be. All you have to do is look at the FAB Frenzy to tell that. Back on topic, I only have the 3" Titanium Blackout so far, and I think he's great, and I can't wait to get more stuff.