Why would anybody want Dinobot counterfeits/KOs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Ok so I am highly against it and don't think people can even say they are getting 'Transformers' (as in the brand) when they buy the look-alike counterfeit KOs, but I can almost understand if someone wants something resembling a Wheeljack or a Sunstreaker but doesn't want to pay $100 (though $70 really isn't THAT much cheaper).

But with the news of the dinobots (the rest other than swoop) coming, I really don't get the appeal. Other than Swoop, you can buy a NM and complete of any of the other 4 dinobots for $50 tops. A new fakie I imagine will cost $70 + (swoop was over $100 for a few months when it came out). So why buy a fake and illegal imitation over the vintage real thing? Without the 'I can't afford the real thing' argument I really don't get it at all...

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my guess would be because every time there is a poll for g1 reissues dinobots gett mentioned alot

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    to spite vintage owners of course.

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

But these aren't G1 reissues. And even funnier, if they were real reissues, they'd be cheaper than the fake ones, way cheaper.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes but some people who bought the figures back in the day destroyed or lost them. They want what they had back then. Some fans always wanted them but never got them. They could go the ebay route, but that might get too expensive or they could end up with crappy loose toys. This way while it may not be a real re-issue it's close to the real thing. Myself I just want the wst versions because I'm obsessed with the size.

6. KingForm

KingForm Banned

Because they're MISB, and MISB makes everything better.

7. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    In an equally as compelling argument, who wouldn't? It's all a matter of personal taste.

8. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    Thats my opinion as well.
    I just can't understand why someone pays hunderds of dollars for a crappy MIB.
    I really don't give a you know what if something is vintage or not, as long as the sealed box gives me the feeling back of 20+ years ago. And as long as Hasbro doesn't listen to the collectors, these chinese people will serve us.
    LONG LIVE CHINA!!!

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Maybe its because we're Transformers fans, not Hasbro/TakaraTomy fans? Maybe its because those companies don't care enough about the fandom to reissue these highly desirable figures? Maybe because its MISB and opening a fresh toy is just better?

Face it, Hasbro does not care about these old toys. If they did, there would have been a flurry of reissues out when the movie hit. But they sat by and gave the long time fans the giant middle finger.

Even when Hasbro started their own reissues, they didn't give a shit. They made them near impossible for many people to get without resorting to the secondary market. They sold them at near the same price it cost to import a superior Japanese product. Then when nobody was buying the toys because of their own blunders, they decided to cut back on reissues because apparently nobody was interested anymore.

Takara seems to care more about us fans, but they lost me when they started reissuing Kup and Wheelie.

Also, in my book, these are just as much Transformers as my real things as long they are of good quality. They would be just as welcome with my authentic G1s as my reissues are.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    a ko can never compare to the real thing, i can not justifie myself having a ko amongs the originals. i rather wait and get a real g1 mib then a misb ko.

11. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I don't want counterfeits of toys I had from when I was a kid, I want the REAL toys I had when I was a kid.. if I could, I would buy the EXACT ones I had. But I can't so I have to go with the next best thing, and buy a vintage toy of someone elses

these are my memories from when I was a kid, I don't want them replaced by counterfeit rip off's, I want the real thing! restoring my childhood memories is worth the extra money and the extra wait!

Original Transformers, if they could only talk. those toys have a life, and a history. I can pick up a vintage astrotain, beating to hell, and say look. This toy's seen some great days, and the kid that played with it will probably remember that for the rest of his life.

counterfeits don't got that man, they're only plastic. they're only substitutes for the real deal.

I don't want em. I want the real thing.. the ones I had. REAL transformers

12. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    I get your sentiment and I can certainly share your passion for old figures. Truth be told though, it's all plastic. No two ways about it. Some people accept the imitations. Other vehemently refuse them as trash. No one is changing anyone else's opinion. Live and let die folks.

13. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    That is also a question about how much you're willing to spend on your hobby. I'm not willing to spend around $200-300 on as MISB Mirage, when I can get a K.O MISB Mirage for around $60. The box may not be 100% authentic, but it doesn't matter to me. I have an orginal Mirage and a K.O Mirage and quality wise they are both at the very same level. Some K.O's are really really good. My K.O Mirage has even fixed the typical alignment problem with Mirage.
    Now you can then dicuss who's hurting the market ? the "serious" collectors who are willing to pay hughe sums for the original toy and keeping the prices skyhigh and above the rest, or the collectors who are equally "serious" but dont want to pay a zillion $ for a toy (or who hasn't the funds just to do so), because at the end of the day it's "only" a toy.
    Personally I'm in the latter group, but I don't just buy any K.O's I want them in good quality.

14. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    If you collect for VALUE I can see getting bent out of shape, but if you collect for the toy itself ,or for the character, I don't see it as a big deal.

Heck I FULLY EXPECT a red Mirage to be produced, I own a Diaclone red Mirage so will it affect the value of my toy? Maybe, do I care? NOPE...they can go about making any rare TF they want...Dinocassettes, white Headmaster heads, Diaclone colors...hell if they REALLY want to get my attention how 'bout some unreleased G2 while they are at it...I will ignore what I allready own, and I'll buy from them what I don't have :)  I am buying the clear Mirage and if they put out a Diaclone Swoop or a G2 color Swoop I'll buy those too...Is it affecting Hasbro? Nope, they have no intention of putting these out or they would have pursued it allready...

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :rock 

bottomline is, for some of us, we dont care whether its an original or a knockoff. a cool toy is just that, a cool toy, regardless whether its official or not.

as long as we know what were buying into, its all good. whay hate on others for liking something you dont? thats just snobbery.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    A C10 MISB Wheeljack or Sunstreaker for $100? Hook us up pronto PLEASE.
    No?
    OK then.

Hasbro/Takara KNOW there is a demand for these figures, and they still have no plans fo reissue them. Until they do (or until ebay prices hit the same level as these things) the extremely good quality, accurate KOs will do just fine.

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Yes, Hasbro decided to sell the toys as TRU exclusives instead of making them available at mass retail. And then they lied about it and claimed that other retailers weren't interested.

I guess Hasbro also decided to make Alternators Ravage and Rumble Wal*Mart exclusives just to piss off fans. Totally worth it even when it means less profit. :rolleyes2 

Well, guess what. Earlier this year I was interviewing George Dunsay, who had been involved with Hasbro during the early days of the G1 line. He had quit Hasbro during the early stages of the Armada line and had some very negative views on the current state of the toy industry as a whole. So I don't expect him to twist anything in the favor of modern-day Hasbro. And yet when we talked about reissues of G1 toys, he gave me an estimate whhat a reissue of one of the G1 Autobot Cars would cost if it were produced in large numbers and sold at mass retail. The projected price was pretty much exactly what TRU was asking. And Dunsay even suggested that the expensive diecast parts would have to go. Yikes.

Yeah, Takara. Half of their reissues are Optimus Prime. Awesome.

18. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I buy them because I want them MISB and like the look of the original boxes. Brings back memories. An original dinobot that is MISB is WAY out of my price range.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Here we go again...

I for one like certain KOs, the WSTF Dinorobots from Justitoys are really good. (Better than the originals IMO)

20. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Are the WSTF Dinobots even considered knockoffs? There is no official Transformers product that is comparable.

Note the differences in scale, paint, and transformations.