Why Won't Target Sell The Exclusive 2-Pack Online??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusAutobot, Mar 5, 2007.

1. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

Is there anyone on here who works for Target or anyone for that matter that knows why Target isn't selling the exclusive 2-pack of Ultra Magnus and Skywarp online??

TRU did a nice job of selling the exclusive Soundwave at toysrus.com. I just don't understand why Target doesn't do the same.......it's all about making money right?

I live in the Maryland/Delaware/Pennsylvania area and Target stores are about an hour away from me.

Everytime I go, Target doesn't have any of the 2-packs. I know, I know, they're probably sold out by now. Ramjet and Cliffjumper have been pretty hard to find in this area as well.

I just don't understand why Target doesn't offer the exclusive 2-pack on their website. Is there anyone out there who can enlighten me?

2. TrypticonzByotch

TrypticonzByotch Member

I don't have a solid answer for you, but I have seen that VS. pack going for upwards of $45 on several online toy sites. It is sort of hit or miss in the stores anyway. Some stores only had one or two. Others I visited had a whole end display devoted to nothing but the VS. packs. I'm not sure how the distribution works, but it is always disheartening to have exlcusives that you can't even find in the store that they are exclusive to. (I just shelled out $50 for a reissue Soundwave because I gave up trying to look for it at TRU.) Its a shame that you haven't been able to find it because they did an AWESOME job with Skywarp. Most people could care less about Ultra Magnus, but I think 'Prime' looks better as a white repaint.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I work for Target and the quick answer is that we really don't sell any of our exclusives online. Never have and probably never will. We do have online only exclusives that we sell online, but that's about it.

Of course, it doesn't help that our toy section at our online store never has a whole lot of anything to begin with. It probably boils down to toys -especially exclusives ones- being a secondary priority in sales for Target... I mean, it's not like we're TRU our anything.

4. CyclopianVision

CyclopianVision Banned

I would think it's more that you want people walking into stores for exclusive items. That way they may purchase things that they wouldn't normally purchase just by being in the store or just shopping there in general.

5. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

Sounds like Target has their priorities backwards. Wal-Mart went ahead and declared war on TRU in the toy selling business.

Why even offer an exclusive toy which is obviously aimed at collectors if it's only a secondary priority? Doesn't make much sense but, them again neither does not offering exclusives online and not taking you online toy sales seriously either.

Thanks for the insight.....great to hear from someone who actually works there.

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is true too. Especially when you take into consideration that we (Target) usually sell exclusive items at a loss. Take the current one for example: a $9.99 figure and a $19.99 figure both being sold for $19.99.

Well, another thing to remember and probably a reason we've never declared "war" on TRU, is that Target doesn't really consider themselves in "competition" with anyone. Not even Wal-Mart.

Target -and I'm not trying to sound arrogant or superior here, it's just the way the company's mindset is... whether you agree or not is your own opinion- actually considers themselves a "high end" deparment store and aims themselves at a "higher demographic" than say Wal-Mart, K-Mart and others. I'm not sure what I think about that kind of mindset, but it does seem to be true when you look at the general people shopping in a local Target and than look at how much money they spend.

Again, Target does do a lot of things that seem odd, but we have been beating Wal-Mart out in sales lately so we must be doing something right at some point. :lol 

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's a good question. Target is headquartered here in Minneapolis and this 2-pack is abundant. You can't swing a dead cat in this town without hitting three Target stores. Maybe it would be worth it to collectors if I picked up a few extras to offer in the exchange or ebay? It's not like the locals would miss out.

8. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    OptimusAutobot, do you have PMs disabled on purpose? PM me, I have a surprise for you.

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Another thing - Target.com is almost ran as a different company/store compared to the b&m stores. It has its own set of sales and promotions (will still have b&m weekly sales if its carried online) and has a different stock range compared to the stores. They also have a big tie in with Amazon.com where you can buy products off of Amazon through Target.com.

My local Target still has at least 12 if not more of the magnus/skywarp pack so I'm not thinking its that rare just yet.

10. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

That sounds like a great idea if you can work it out. This area is DRY when it comes to 2-packs.

11. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    there's plenty of two-packs on the shelves down here. nobody at our targets wants them. i hadn't grabbed any extras because it didn't seem like there was a shortage.

12. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

The Target stores in Wilmington, Delaware and Aberdeen, Maryland don't have any.

13. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    I could probably grab one for you if you want. Shouldn't cost much to ship to Maryland from Virginia.

14. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

my store has like 10 of these also.

15. nOObiE do0

nOObiE do0 noobious maximus

They are everywhere in philly.

16. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

does anyone remember the dpci # for the 2-pack? I'll call the toy departments at the Wilmington and Aberdeen stores and see if they have any in stock using the dpci #.

17. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Haha! :lol  That's true. Too bad they're both crapshoots these days for anything good. Online is the way to go to avoid hastle. Except in the case of these exclusives, because they're not sold online for anything under a ridiculous price usually.

I'm glad I picked up the 2-pack as soon as I saw it, because its gone now!

18. Magnus Convoy

Magnus Convoy Active Member

There's about 5 Targets in a 30 minute drive for me and I couldn't find any and the DPCI number shows out of stock or not in stock room. I ended up ordering mine from JRS Toyworld for $34.99 plus shipping. Alot better then driving around and wasting gas.