Why were they called TF's in the first place if they could not transform?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backstop, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I was watching the epidode were A3 pops through the time window and I got to thinking? The TFS later learned to transform so why were they called tfs? I know the series did not make sense at times but I figure bots like Alpha Trion,Beta, those battle drones in key to vector sigma were all tfs that had no alt mode as these bots do not show any signs in there design.What do you guys think? As if Alpha trion did transform into something I know most of you would say a ship but I just can't see it!

2. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When do they first refer to themselves as Transformers? I thought they called themselves Cybertronians. As I understand "Transformer" was a label that came along after they had already gained the ability.

...of course, Transformers has multiple continuities, and you just have to turn a blind eye to certain things (like scale :p  )

Here's a question- why do they turn into vehicles that appear to have accommodation's for human pilots/drivers, even before they arrive on earth? Why is Bumblebee named after an insect that has yet to be named as such by humans? Why do they speak English?

3. Backstop

News Credits:
    Well I am not 100% sure when they first refer to themselves as Transformers? but if what you say is correct then it does make sense, So then Alpha trion is not a TF but a cybertronian? not saying that the other bots are not also TFS and cybertronians,

4. Destroyer

Destroyer Destruction to all

Check out 2 things.The G1 episode the Gambler with deathcon it is hard to tell what he transforms into but after you see it once it makes since,also check out Transformers ultimate guide.It might help sum things up a bit.As for some of the drones thier only purpose was to defend areas and fight.They had no logic so it would kind of be illogical for them to transform.They do what they are programed for.If you look at the episode Dawn of futers past.The decepticlones transformed into energon cubes.They had a purpose for disguise plus they had some intelligence.Alpha-Trion does turn into a type of cybertronian jet or ship as you would call it.The art was just kinda bad on some of the old 80's stuff.Trion was one of the original 13 he was a wise man (bot)he would not really have to transform much.As for the Cybertronians being created by the Quintasons is propaganda that the quints started.The quintasons might of controlled Cybertron for a bit but that is something that got messed up in the G1 time line.Just like the episode the Call of the Primitives.It stated someone else created Unicron.That would mean that guy aparently created Primus too.Personally I don't see that.Alot of the new writers after the movie screwed alot of stuff up.That is why they had to do the time warp thing with beast wars to mess the story up more so they could try to go back and fix everything.Not everything is meant to figure out that is why it is called entertianment.As long as people sit back and enjoy what they are watching that is all that matters when it comes to the industry.Don't worry Backstop alot of us other fans out there have not figured it out either.I hope some of my opinions help.
    Destroyer

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I think of it this way: as planetary beings, they are technically Cybertronians the same way we are Earthlings, but in more distinctive terms, they are Transformers the same way we are Humans. The only difference is that their definition speaks more about their abilities as Cybertronians rather than a specific species classification since they, I assume, don't really need it that same way we do.

I never thought I would be geeky enough to answer a question like that, but there ya go :) 

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

3. Questions:

1. I believe the "human" pilots were the Diaclones in harmony with Primus. The Quints later murdered them all and then started to believe their own lie about creating the Transformers. It's why today the Autobots find humans so familiar while the Decepticons resent humans because of old racial memories.

2. Teletraan may have imparted Earth information imbedded in the repair beam giving Bumblebee the idea. Bumblebee knew his color was "Bumblebee Yellow" so maybe he just chose that as his name.

3. Transformers have learned all earth languages which they find simple by their binary language standards.

7. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    All english words are actually cybertronian originally. The Transformers language got integrated into human languages many hundreds of years ago by time travelling transformers.

8. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Not time traveling transformers - Autobot Pretenders! ;) 

9. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:

The vehicles no matter if they were cons or bots were military hardware and transport/non militray hardware. The quints sold them as such, it doesn't matter if they created the race they were still creating more of them in these forms for sale according to the toons. Naturally you have to sell it for someone to use and they probebly had a lockout that made them obey the user. The only explanation I have for the name is that like animals exist on different worlds. The best explanation would be star trek. We have dogs and wolves they are K-9's, Klingons have targs they are also K-9's. My guess would be the same with bugs. Targ probebly means dog. I'm not 100% sure about the targ but you get the idea. As far as the english thing goes I would assume that on cybertron they spoke cybertronian and when they got to earth telatraan 1 assimilated the language when it got vehicle modes for the tf's. I mean when it all started would you rather the transformers spoke all crazy. I was 5 that would have been too much for me.

10. nightboomfer

nightboomfer SeƱor Member

They learned to speak English from what we call the world wide web.

Also: Bumblebee's cybertronian name was probably a word that meant small, annoying, and yellow. When he arrived on Earth, the closest thing to that definition would be "Bumblebee."

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I think we're talking about the G1 continuity here, not the Baymation Movie.

12. Backstop

News Credits:
    yes i was talking in terms of G1

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    BB is Cool,he just mute.

14. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Why transformers speak english? Is like asking why the russians speak english between themselves in war movies, or why everyone speak english in Star Wars, they are probably speaking in their own language, but they "speak" english so we can understand them.

15. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:

For all we know, Bumblebee could be cybertronian for Sexual Tyranosaurus or Viking Rock God or little tiny yellow thing or something...........

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Here's the answer to all those questions:

IT'S JUST A CARTOON, and not a very good one at that. There is no real answer to this question other than names made on the fly. Anybody who tries to make up ways to explain all these billions of plot holes and continuity errors needs to seriously get out of the house, or read a book or something.

17. DrPhd

DrPhd Two Servings of Fruit!

Gonna second this opinion.

You're digging too deep into a pretty shallow source material.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey! It's my fantasy universe. Please stay off the clouds. :wink:  :lolol  My imagination gets a good workout filling in the blanks with the Transformers.

19. DrPhd

DrPhd Two Servings of Fruit!

Well if you aren't writing illicit fan fiction stories involving Wheelie then I suppose I can mind your clouds.

20. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ha ha, the questions were actually rhetorical, though if there was an answer, that would be it. My point was that you could ask tons of questions that point to plotholes in the TF Universe, because ultimately it's a silly children's cartoon that was tacked onto a children's toyline, and it shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Some people's replies seemed jokingly fanwanky, so it didn't go over everyone's head at least :)