Why were nuclear threats never addressed in G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by icanfly, Mar 21, 2011.

1. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi

In light of the events in Japan, and after seeing an awesome custom Acidstorm (who to me looked radioactive), I began to wonder why there was never a transformer that could harness nuclear weaponry. I seem to remember that Shockwave could harness it as a power source, but with a cartoon and comic series that started in the cold war era, why wasnt there ever this threat. Admittedly im not overly familiar with the original comic series, but I would have thought this would be a major weapon
    Does anyone have any ideas?

JL

2. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

D= it isn't energy effeciant enough, besides Howard the Duck already did that shtick

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Probably for the same reason Macross/Robotech never addressed it. Instead of "nuclear" weapons, they called them "reactionary" weapons. I guess talking about nukes were still a sore spot of some sorts. I had a insert in the macross saga (japanese edition) dvd set that more or less explained this I think. I'll go look it up here in a bit.

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, there was Autobot Spike, I thought those missiles were supposedly nuclear.

Besides, there were a lot of fears about a possible nuclear war back then so some people might have had a problem with it. Not to mention that besides being a power source nuclear weapons are incredibly dirty things and not half as effective as a cannon powered by a ruby crystal :lol .

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a matter of fact, this topic was one that there was a genuine embargo on for the show - they weren't even allowed to SAY "nuclear", precisely because it was the Cold War, and people were afraid of that.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Megatron's fusion cannon is a nuclear weapon of sorts.

7. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There were bans on these things? I can understand not wanting to scare kids with it I guess. Were there any other things banned? I mean Carbomya? Surely that ruffled some feathers?

8. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Nothing else particularly unique I can think of, just the basic stuff you couldn't show in a cartoon back then - human death, profanity, sexy times, that sort of thing (those may sound very much like "well, no duh!" subjects, but they spelled these things out in the paperwork for writers all the same). The "no nuke" rule was very much a product of the time. It was also a rule on G.I. Joe - take a look at this original writer's guide document from the production of the Joe cartoon written by Steve Gerber for an idea of the attitudes that went into making these shows. You can see how Joe had another rule or two to work with because it was dealing with human terrorists that ran the risk of being accidentally associated with real people and places if they weren't careful - Transformers had less of a problem with that because the bad guys were giant robots, so they could get away with setting things in real cities, and do things like Carbombya.

(It's generally held, for instance, that Devcon got that "misspelled" name instead of the properly-spelled "Defcon" because that's the word for national alertness that was being widely bandied about in the public media amidst the nuclear scare.)

9. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

yeah, carbomia was pretty bad... for the most part both gi joe and transformers did a great job of not doing that stuff, but that is one failure that comes to mind...

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    More specifically:

Never Say Die - Television Tropes & Idioms

11. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

Hey I liked the whole Carbomia thing! :) 

12. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm of the belief in real world situations anywhere the tfs went would cause radiation sickness. Energon had an eerie glow much like plutonium when used.

13. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Most continuities that address the subject identify energon as a clean energy source that has no harmful effect on organic life.

14. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey Chris, I just pulled out an insert from the Japanese version of Macross (from dvd #8) which basically states what you did:

15. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    In a similar vein, Robotech substituted that with (the rather cooler-sounding, IMO) "Reflex Weaponry".

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'd think if Decepticons got their hands on nuclear weaponry, it would've been the end of the Autobots. Too powerful, too easy, wouldn't make for long lasting stories. Plus with the idiocy of Starscream, they'd blow themselves up anyway.

17. skywarp1016

skywarp1016 Banned

Ebay:
    they have no problem metioning nukes now in idws all hail megatron the decpticons get there hands on one and in international incident they have more nukes being launched by i believe russia on the location of i believe north korea chinese boarders on the autobots ,the 3 combaticons that are there and the predaking robots

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Because it was a kids' show.

Oh my gosh, yes. The Super Friends show, from a decade earlier, couldn't show any form of physical violence. You see that and you wonder why bother making the show at all. If Superman can't deal with an evil supervillain by smashing him in the face, how the @#$% does he defeat him?

Why, through "peaceful and reasonable discussion," of course!

Bruce Timm once drew a hilarious image in response to the the ridiculous hoops they had to jump through to comply with FCC regulations on Batman: The Animated Series.

I can't find that anyone's posted Timm's image that appeared in the book "Batman Animated", so here's a tattoo artist's rendering of it:

Batman v The FCC – Tattoo Picture at CheckoutMyInk.com

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Because a three-year-old comic aimed at a nostalgia fandom audience is totally the same thing as a 25-year-old cartoon from the 1980s aimed at children.

Also, punctuation and capital letters are free today, feel free to use them!

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Oh yes, the old cartoons were hilarious for that sort of thing. Didn't Heman have a restriction on showing the big guy using his weapons and hitting people, hence the infamous "punch the screen / cut to bad guy falling down" stock footage?

All things considered, shows like Batman and Gargoyles which were allowed real guns and some fairly brutal fights were pretty much pushing the envelope. I know Bruce Timm got really good at working around the restrictions like the infamous "Batgirl dies" scene in the late series episode "Over the Edge".