Why were Animated's insignias off?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sideways77, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    A question has always plagued my mind. That is why Autobot logos were silver, and Decepticons were gold, apposed to the red and purple with white highlights. Takara got it right, why couldn't Hasbro? I suppose the same goes for why Starscream and Skywarp never got the right colors, either.

I know Animated's long gone, but I have always wanted to know an answer.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Partially a carry-over from the movie line (where silver or black were most common). But I also remember reading an interview of some sort where it was said that they were kinda going for a "shimmer" effect, evoking this idea where the sigils would be hidden in vehicle mode, and appear in robot mode. So the metallic insignias make them look "energized".

3. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Yeah they didn't want the symbols to draw attention to themselves as they were robots in disguise.

I thought it was a pretty poor decision and the symbols looked bad on the Animated figures. It worked better on the more realistic figures, not figures that are supposed to jump out at you like Animated did.

Randy

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Takara got the symbols right, but most of the other stuff wrong. :)  I've heard one or two 'official' reasons for the silver/gold symbols (about like what was already stated here) which didn't seem all that satisfactory. I'm guessing on the 'carry-over from movie low-vis style' theory myself.

Can't say exactly for Skywarp. My original theory was that Starscream's toy colors were based on his "nighttime" color model, but it seems more likely that Hasbro gave it a strong blue tint to make the toy stand out better on the shelf, especially with other gray items in the pipeline like Grimlock and Shockwave and Megatron

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    IRRC, that interview was in one of the TCC newsletters a few years ago, and the designer interviewed also said the design team just thought they looked cool.

6. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    They looked really bad if you ask me.

Randy

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Whether it looked good or bad. It really did not impact my Judgement of a toy.

Generations skullgrin works pretty well with the gold symbol.

Maybe the reason is that those two types, gold and silver are metallic, and can blend in with a broader range of paint schemes. Not for disguise. But just so it does'nt disrupt the look of a robots colors with a purple or red brand on their chest.

Granted if your mecha is already Red or Purple. I think you have little excuse not to go classic.

8. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    If you're not happy with them then get some reprolabels symbols and cover them up.

9. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Just trying to mix it up, I guess. I liked it on many of the toys. Sometimes a big huge red or purple blotch on a toy totally clashes with the rest of the colorscheme while a silver or gold is more likely to blend in.

Also,

Not G1 != Wrong

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Some Animated figures did have normally-coloured faction logos, although they were usually Battle Bumpers or the occasional Activators. And, I think, Rodimus. Some repaints had them too, like that horrific yellow Ratchet. Swindle had a purple logo split across his forearms. And, of course, most Elite Guard figures. Dunno if you'd count convention figures, but those too.

11. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Am I the only one that liked the silver Autobot logo and the gold Decepticon logo? To me it made them really look more regal, like the faction the bot belonged to actually meant something. Then again, there was black, white, purple, etc, etc. I know there's always going to be the purists, but I did like the variety. I mean, it's just tampo logos.

12. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    I like the gold and the silver if it works well, I just don't think it worked on most of Animated.

It did work well on Universe Galvatron and e-Hobby Galvatron II for example.

Randy