Why Watch BB Movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Awesomepow, Feb 26, 2018.

1. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    K bye

2. Temenos

Temenos The Last Knight

News Credits:
    That doesn't make sense.

Bay's five movies have made nearly $5 Billion. To be that successful, they must have been entertaining if audiences kept coming back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fpjones3

fpjones3 Well-Known Schmuck

Not exactly. Producers have as much say as the director since they are the ones funding the film.

4. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I dunno. I am a wee bit interested in watching it myself. Pity a lot of people, myself included, are wary of the movieverse stench surrounding it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Dude, TLK. Can't still ride off the success of a 2014 film (that bombed domestically.)

6. Mglaighton120

Mglaighton120 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Travis Knight. His movies are character stories and after seeing Kubo, I have a lot of faith in this movie. Hailee Steinfeld is incredibly talented (she was nominated for an Oscar at 14). All I want is a good movie. Travis is the type of director to leave the movie if he doesn’t get to make the movie he wants to make, so I’m confident in him.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Having the continuity ride on this spinoff does not bode well, because now everyone who really wants a reboot will presumably pass on seeing this in theaters, even if it turns out to be the best live action movie.

Which makes me feel sad for Travis Knight, because I think he's a great pick for a TF director. It's just really unfortunate that he's starting on this movie, and it sounds completely superfluous from what's been told. I got more than enough of Bay's Bumblebee from the previous 5 films, I have no interest in seeing his connection with some girl who we already know is completely irrelevant to the other movies, I'm not buying a ticket just to see the VW beetle mode(empty G1 pandering).

The only other thing this movie has going for it, is the possibility of 2 new Decepticons (and maybe Hot Rod) being handled well under Knight's direction. But it's still Bay and Lorenzo producing(ugh), with a budget $50 million lower than the first movie. It just seems like a speed bump on the road to a reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Temenos

Temenos The Last Knight

News Credits:
    I've no doubt that Bay has a say in the Bumblebee movie, but Jonathan Liebesman was very much guided through all his movies by Bay, he's Bay Jr. if you will.

Travis Knight seems like a competent director on his own.

So what? You can't say they were not successful. It's simply not true. The OVERALL Box Office speaks for that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The overall world wide box office is a tricky number because it really doesn't tell you if a film is profitable or not.

For example lets take two movies that make one billion world wide. The first movie makes $700 million domestic and $300 million overseas. The second movie makes $200 million domestic and $800 million overseas. On the surface it looks like the films are equal because they both got to one billion. But the studio gets a bigger cut domestically than they do internationally so the movie that made $700 million domestically and got to a billion would makes a studio far more money than the film that made $200 domestically and got to a billion.

The problem is rather compounded for Transformers because so much of their box office total was coming from China where a US studio gets the smallest cut of any market. Instead of the healthy growing the domestic numbers and growing the numbers in markets like China Paramount was steadily loosing ticket sells domestically and depending heavily on China to have a limitless market growth to cushion the domestic box office disappointment. Paramount failed to see just how quickly the massive investments Chinese studios were making would pay off and Paramount just could not imagine there would be a day when Chinese audiences would pass on Hollywood films.

The using the overall number to cover up how unhealthy Paramount was as a studio is why they had to have the change in leadership. To the public they could spin they were in good shape because look at our world wide numbers. But corporate had the books to see what was under those numbers and it wasn't pretty.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Why watch any movie?

• Like Like x 2
  11. fpjones3

fpjones3 Well-Known Schmuck

Yep. I enjoyed Kubo. FWIW, I hope the Bee movie is well-made. Doesn't necessarily need to deviate from Bayverse, just give it a good solid story. Some explosions are welcome too. lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Temenos

Temenos The Last Knight

News Credits:
    I haven't been following the Bee production as well as TLK, but I haven't see any huge pyrotechnic videos or much at all, besides a few pics of 80s cars here and there.

13. Necrisha

Necrisha Creative, vindictive-possibly a deception.

Well, Although Bay is on the production team, Knight has awards under his belt for both being involved in direction and animation of critically acclaimed animated movies.

The main writer has only credits for a psychological thriller and a psycho-ex thriller movie. Supposedly Kelly Fremon Craig did a rewrite of the script.(imbd trivia)

I'm watching for the simple fact that this movie could go anywhere in just about any direction and the few known quantities that are in play have talents. Not necessarily the best overall, but making utter shite watchable is a talent (John Cena has done some stinkers, but his parts are watchable no matter the rest of the movie) don't know what I mean, I recommend the nostalgia critic's review of 'Fred the movie' I do not recommend actually trying to watch that movie.

And yeah, you could always use the excuse that it's guaranteed to be more watchable than 'Fred the movie'...

14. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Because it’s a movie. And I like watching movies.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    At this point, I’m just wishing they get to use a couple of songs from Wham!, Tiffany and Debbie Gibson in the movie (“I Think We’re Alone Now”).

16. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Why would I watch it?

Aside from the part I love Transformers, movie tickets where I live are relatively cheap. As low as 8 bucks for a regular screening, and up to 26 for IMAX - the price of a cup of latte, and an average restaurant meal for one person, respectively.

I can't think of anything else that is more worthwhile, or would give me as much gratification, for 8 bucks. That's why I take the family for a movie almost every weekend (except on those times when there's nothing that interests us).

And for CGI heavy films like Transformers, Avengers, Pacific Rim, Star Wars, etc, we'll always go for IMAX because you can really see every little detail in the fantastic worlds that are created.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Loving Transformers doesn't mean everything is going to be of good quality.

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Have you heard that bad movies exist that are a waste of time and money?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Big spender. It cost me $4.80 if I can catch the movie before 6:00pm. Since I usually catch the movies sometime between lunch and supper I don't really need popcorn, and I avoid the soda because with the high blood pressure medication it just increases the odds of needing to pee before the movie is over. No assigned seating at the local theater so I enjoy that. Plus for the most part it is generally a nice crowd so there is still that enjoyment of going out to see a movie over waiting for it to hit Netflix. Then just the nostalgia factor since it's the same theater I saw movies at as a child.

So if the general mood is at least eh it's okay then it is off on the short trip to the local theater. The only road bump I hit is the local theater only has five screens to some weeks there just isn't anything showing that peeks my interests. Kind of like this weekend, I've already seen Black Panther, not interested in Game Night, Peter Rabbit, or Death Wish, and I didn't watch the other Fifty Shades movies so no need to see Fifty Shades Freed.

20. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube:
    I'm going to see it. I'm interested in seeing what Knight can do with the property, and the smaller scale seems like it could avoid some of the problems the bigger films have (dropped plot threads, inconsistencies, et cetera). Plus I like the idea of going back to a time where the Transformers are really hiding and there's an element of secrecy. Also, the potential for 80s cars and music should be great.