Why was the budget for DOTM lower than ROTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Rusty24, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Why was DOTM's budget lower than ROTF? ROTF made over 800 million worldwide and it had a budget of 200 million dollars while DOTM came after it with a budget of 195 million dollars. 5 million dollars probably wouldn't have mattered much, but shouldn't the budget have gone up? Just imagine a 250 million dollar Transformers movie; that'd be some epic stuff right there.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It could be that they'd found ways to save money filming ROTF, or maybe the costs for some things had gone down, or maybe they were able to reuse some assets from ROTF.

It could also be that DOTM was cheaper to make since it pretty much stayed inside the continental US, compared with the World Tour filming in ROTF.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

what aernaroth said

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This. While a big budget usually means faith in the movie/crew by the studio, a lower budget doesn't necessarily mean less faith. Simply business. Maybe they only had $195 million to use? Maybe that's all they planned on needing?

And also, factor in that while Bay appears to be incapable of telling a tight, coherent story, there's no denying that the man is an efficient businessman. You want a director who won't waste the money the studio has given him? Get Bay. You want your resources used to their fullest potential without going overbudget? Bay's the man. You want your movie delivered on time? Bay will do it. Knowing Michael, he brought the movie in under what the budget could've been...because MICHAEL FRICKIN' BAY, is why.

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The less money the studio spends, the greater their profit potential. Also, as widely panned as ROTF was, the studio was probably wary of a lower box office for DOTM.

6. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always thought it was 'If you give Michael Bay less money, he'll have to work a little harder. If he works a little harder, maybe the movie will have more focus. If the movie has more focus, maybe I'll enjoy it more.'

7. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Since they didn't have Megan Fox they saved 5 Million dollars in hair care products and makeup.

8. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, and Botox.

9. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Actually, there's a question, regardless of budget, how much did the movies COST to make? Were they overbudget? Underbudget? This is important to know in constructing a budget for the next film.

10. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Good points here.
    If a studio can spend lesss money and gain 10x's as much, why not right? I think ROTF was going for the biggest film ever considering there was filming in other parts of the world.

I also heard that The Driller/Colossus was way more difficult to rig compared to Devastator. I always thought there wasn't going to be anything like Devy for a long time.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Maybe with DOTM they knew what they were doing, wheras ROTF was more aimless during production and had a larger budget to compensate for any late changes.

12. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    And the 5 car batteries she runs on. Hot damn she uses a lot of electricity.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bingo. Chances are the studios allocated much more money, but Bay said he could do it X amount instead. Lower budget = more profit potential... which is directly in Bay's best interests since he negotiates a profit percentage take-home rather than a flat fee, which subsequently has raked him in a literal shit ton more money than he ever would have made just taking his directorial fee.

14. 420bot

420bot ******

B/c Bay said in an interview that he could do a better film than ROTF and for even less money, and he was right.

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    And here's another question: Did production of DOTM take more or less time than ROTF? If more, it could be they saved money by not having to rush and pay a premium on work and overtime. If it was less, then that's potentially a smaller payroll budget.