Why was Skorponok even in the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chaos Prime, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

This might count as a SPOILER

It just popped in my head last night. Scorponok was just a useless character. Why was a decent chunk of the movie focused on Scorponok, when the scene could have worked just as well if Bonecrusher was in it instead? I look at it this way; Scorponok is a drone, right? Not only that, but Scorponok doesn't even transform, (I know the toy does, but I'm not talking about that). I mean even Frenzy transforms, and he's just a microscopic spaz! So why focus on nothing more then a attack dog when their were perfectly good Decepticons to fill in for that scene, instead of having them almost wasted, (like Bonecrusher going down in 30 seconds). I know the scene is needed because it tells the humans that they can be hurt. Ok, fine. How about this.
    Bonecrusher goes after the humans, and they start fighting. When the planes come in, and bomb the hell out of him, he's damaged and the retreats. Maybe he even shoots down the planes so he's not followed. Their we have it. And then later in the movie when he fights Prime, he has a good excuse why he sucked, because he's still damaged, and he's not much of a challenge for Prime at that moment. Now how he gets from Qatar to California, I don't know. Leave that one to the writers. :) 

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well, first and foremost - Skorponok's tail gives the US Army dudes some insight into how to hurt the Decepticons.

Secondly...why was Skorponok given so much screen time bustin' up the US army soldiers? Because it sells tickets, makes kids go "COOOOOL!," helps promote the US military, allows for some humor ("would you like to hear about the premium package plan?" etc.) and provides an endpoint for the army team's trip through the desert, as well as, plot-wise, a convenient place where they could hook up with the US military again.

I dunno. Written differently, it could have featured another Decepticon - like Stryker or somebody else tearing over the desert after them. I think, though, in the writing/conceptual phase, Rogers or somebody else must have gotten really hooked on that evil under-the-sand tracker parasite idea and went with it...and the production team must have liked it, so it stuck.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I thoughtthe Scorponok scene rocked! When he impaled that guy the whole theatre gasped! It was awesome. But I agree, it could have been spent on other Decepticons but I more than happy with what we got.

4. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Early on, when Blackout was going to be Soundwave, Scorponok was going to be Ravage. Interesting little tidbit, I think.

5. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

You know how many useless things were in all movies? If we took out every useless thing from every movie, the average movie length would be an hour or less. That, and like someone else said .... it sells tickets. It makes people go "cool". Selling tickets and making money is all that counts.

6. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Because the writers wrote it that way.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    that would've been pretty cool. Probably be revealed similar to Barricade or Starscream. Everybody starts running over yelling for help, treating it like it's a friendly, and then BAM! evil space robot.

8. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

what a pointless rant

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The scene could have played out with another Decepticon, but I liked the Scorponok scenes.

10. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

because skorponok kicks ass

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    And a pointless reply to a pointless rant is much better?

I understand the point of view here, but I actually liked the Scorponok scene too. It made much more sense to have Scorponok in the sene than any of the other Decepticons, save for Starscream...but I think revealing Starscream that soon would have been a letdown. Not that Starscream's actual screentime in the movie wasn't a little disappointing as it was...

12. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Scorponok was great character used to do the big reveal of the WTF is that to the government. Sand being a really tough surface for anything to fight on or move through a burrowing scorpion is a cool and efficiant design. To prove my point has there been one review even questioning a scorpion Robot. I mean wow that i thought would have been the first gripe prior to the movie coming by reviewers but it was just done so well it was just a great setup.

seeing him flip around and just take all that beating from the planes and still live and the reaction of the government is just kick ass. I wonder if he is going to be in the sequal as he really never came back. Maybe he goes and finds blackout and brings him back to life with megs.

13. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

One would think that in a movie called "TRANSFORMERS" Scorponok would have actually transformed.
    One would think that anyhow.

14. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Scorponok was neat. Different from the "DEEESTROOOY! BOOM BOOM" big gun 'cons.

Also, I'd like to see Brawl "escape" when he's surrounded by AWACS jets and A-10s. Blackout can pull it off because he blew everyone up and was gone before anyone knew he was there. Scorponok was "made", as it were. Nothing short of burrowing underground was going to let him get away.

15. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

Scorponok scene=military recruitment piece IMO

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I liked Scorponok alot.

17. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

not really. The movie was one big government bash so i wouldnt think they would do that.

18. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

I liked scorponok allot too but he should have transformed at least once.
    The lame-assed toy at least makes an attempt.

19. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

dude TRUST ME, I am in the military..and all the the little subtle things like coordinating airstrikes..tactical manuevers..etc, also did you not notice not one of the military people showed any signs of fear or incompetence? Sector 7 does not count.

Thats because the actual military would not have particpated had they been portrayed in anything less than a positive light.

It had a "YOU CAN DO THIS TOO KIDS!" vibe to it...

20. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

QFT. Although what if his alternate form is Blackout's pilot? When you think about it, when the hologram glitched out for a second, there was a humanoid robot underneath it instead of just a hologram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.