Why was Airachnid made second in command?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Rexidus, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One thing that always bugged me was why did Megatron promote Airachnid to second in command? She was a deserted 'Con with intentions of doing so again.

Clearly I would have given the post to Soundwave but assuming Megatron couldn't or wouldn't I then would have gone to Knockout. At least he's been loyal; or at least as any 'Con seems to be.

In fact, Airachnid would have been my last choice were I Megatron.

Anyone have any theories?

2. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

Because she is a back-stabbing murderer and therefore the first choice for Megatron's second-in command.

On a serious note, just to give her more screen time and to further cement her into the Decepticon ranks.

3. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Megatron apparently found Starscream's attempted backstabbing amusing. Perhaps he's hoping Airachnid does the same thing.

4. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    I don't think she was made second-in-command. She was just put in command of the Nemesis until Megatron's return. If she were made into second-in-command, however, it probably would be based on her intelligence and usefulness.

5. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    She's intelligent, competent, and just as sadistic as Megatron. But he's not stupid: he knows damn well when he has a eat under his command. But he knows she's useful, hence why she was more or less second in command after Starscream jumped ship. That may or may not change, given that Soundwave will no doubt tell Megatron all about how Airachnid tried to abandon him. Megatron may not care as long as Airachnid is useful.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Hate to say it, but she's kind of the logical choice.

Megatron considers Breakdown to be nothing but a clumsy oaf, easily beaten by humans.
    He knows Knockout is a narcicist. (sp?)
    Soundwave's rank seems beyond Second in Command, if that makes any sense.

Airachnid is cunning and intelligent, as well as the right personality for him to have in the roll. By keeping a potential backstabber as his second in command, it helps keep him on his toes-like Cato attacking the Inspector now and then even though they were partners. Not to mention someone of that level of cunning can see things and point out things that Megatron may not have noticed due to his own Megalomania.

7. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I side from a bit of equal oppertunity, I don't think you are far from the mark here. By placing her in charge, in the thick of things, it makes it that much harder to double cross him or their cause.

8. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

She really impressed Megatron when she gave Starscream over to the Autobots, ergo risking complete exposure of all Decepticon Intel. No one is that stupid, so therefore there HAS to be something special about that gal.

9. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

Wasn't Arachnid absent in the welcoming commitee the Cons threw for Megs and Orion? She was either exiled by Soundwave, or gone rogue.

Or too humiliated to be with any Con in the Nemesis for at least 1-2 episodes. Dunno. I seriously doubt that she will now be 2nd in command, with Orion on board.

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would've you used BREAKDOWN or KNOCKOUT as Second in Command?

Airachnid was the best "Not Soundwave because lmao he is the real second in command he is loyal to me and all traitors are fucked" choice.

11. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Because it´ll be funny to Airachnid haters, to see how she is beaten again and again by Megatron for each new failure against the autobots. That´s the "con" side of becoming The Starscream.

Personally I would reaaaaally like to se Megatron´s reaction after discover her deal with MECH or the fact she was outsmarted by "certain" human vermin.:ev: 

12. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soundwave is an extension of Megatron's will and command. Despite being an incredibly competent fighter, he doesn't really think for himself too often. Breakdown and Knock Out wouldn't fit the job too well.

13. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

No matter who Megatron puts in temporary command or even given the title of SIC, Soundwave will always be the REAL second. Because as we saw in the finale when Arachnid tried to take the fleet to some other planet, Soundwave kicked her ass.

We know who REALLY runs that ship.

14. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I think Knockout would have been the better choice. Not an ideal choice mind you but a better one than Airachnid. It's just a bad idea to put someone like Airachnid in a position of power, as was demonstrated.

EDIT: And yeah, Soundwave would be the ideal choice but I'm assuming there is some reason Megatron hasn't done so for some reason.

15. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe he wanted one who could verbally command the troops

16. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because she's a good character, and it's a change from having Starscream there. Seriously, as much as I LOVE G1, one thing that bothered me (as a kid I'm saying) is that Starscream clearly couldn't be trusted, but until the original movie, Megatron just put up with it. In "Prime" Starscream has proven to not be trustworthy or perform his duties, so he was demoted. This adds to his character. As far as Soundwave, I never see him as a second in command, he's more of a go-to-guy for Megatron, but I don't see him having any leaderhsip role. I mean, he doesn't even talk (yet)

17. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

soundwave would clearly be a better choice.

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This.

Soundwave's cool and all, and would typically be the second-in-command, but honestly, does Prime Soundwave have the authority, skill and imposing nature to be at the helm of a Decepticon army? I don't think so. Just because you've been working at a store for 5+ years does not automatically make you a good choice for manager. It takes certain skills to do that. The next logical choice is Knockout, but as DinoFreakUSA pointed out, you can't not have a traitorous second-in-command. Something movie Megatron obviously missed. ;)  Which turned out good for him...

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Megatron made her incharge to make her feel important and piss off Screamer. We all know Soundwave is truly incharge.

20. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I'm not trying to demand Starscream be reinstated as #2. I love that they showed an arch from him being loyal (well as loyal as he gets) to schemer to the consequences. It would be bad if Starscream just came back like that with no rational as to why. Luckily I doubt that will happen.

And honestly in Partners, I don't believe Airachnid was promoted. In my view Megatron was simply talking to her and Starscreams paranoia made the situation worse.

It's after that point that just is little head tilting to me. I find it odd and unwise for Megatron to then give Airachnid the position when her actions to this point indicate she would abuse and abandon such a position.

Don't get me wrong, I still like her character. I'm very glad she isn't Black Arachnia and I'm very pleased with the Airachnid we have. I just question this promotion.