Why Transformers Film Franchise can't be like Marvel's MCU?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by deathzero23, May 11, 2017.

1. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

Good question, the movies went with a very realistic design less machine more alien, the TF look like aliens. What would a reboot design be, how would they handle the relationship between the two species, I honestly don't know?

I've always felt the best idea for a reboot was a DOFP scenario you don't have to change the designs but you have a clean slate yet the continuity still matters since it brought about that clean slate.

I don't think a live action TV series is even doable people think there's not enough robot focus now I think a live action show might change that belief because I don't see how the TF could have any kind of screen time on a low scale budget.

As I said recently I don't want a TF cinematic universe I just don't think it's a good idea nor do I think it can properly carry itself. Marvel has countless solo titles TF doesn't it's always been more of an ensemble. Bumblebee doesn't have his own comic series, Starscream doesn't have a mini series. TF is not Marvel comics trying to make it like them is not a good idea. Cinematic universes should apply to franchises that fit the idea of them.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Honestly a reboot of the TF movies is bound to happen whatever the TF cinematic Universe takes off or not it'll come to a point where a clean slate will happen. So with that said if there's one thing I don't wish to see happen it's that the reboot series would take a massive dump on the first TF movie series and it's fans as a "F** you" for not being more like G1. It would be very much a cheap shot not to mention that movies like SW TFA and JW never resorted to that when it came to not doing what the past movies did wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    That was a neat trick.
    A clever application of human avatars? A bunch of guys in costumes? Somehow I think that a low budget Transformers live action TV series would be a hit in the 80s, we have higher standards now :lol 
    Yes, TF works best as an ensemble show. I think it's mainly due to the setting. When a superhero walks out of the home they are surrounded by people, so there is no need for a team. Most TF shows happen in an isolated bubble. There are no other characters beside the main cast, so the group dynamic is necessary. Otherwise, there would be no character interactions.

My dream wish is an extended animated universe. Imagine having two interconnected TF series at the same time with a rotational roster of characters (like RID and MTMTE in IDW comics).

4. Lord Tron

That's not a bad idea and it definitely worked with the IDW comics. I actually think that's something they should do maybe even have the season finale be a crossover between both like Dark Cybertron was. A TV show doesn't have the same audience a movie universe does so it could take advantage of the shared universe concept better.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Perhaps one day TV would be able to handle a live action Transformers series.

Part of being a geezer is I can remember back when CBS had to cancel The Flash because the show was just too expensive for even the deep pockets of CBS. Now The Flash is several seasons in on a CW budget with characters the CBS show could never dream about using like Grood or King Shark. The march of TV seems to be getting more and more effects than we could ever dream possible on TV back in ye old days.

Or maybe just some place with really really really deep pockets like HBO. Not sure what the exact cost is per episode but Game of Thrones sure ain't cheap to have movie level effects and locations.

• Like Like x 2
  6. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    reboot..

Spider-Man got rebooted 3 times in just like 15 years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why? Because there was no prior planning and they went with a director who cares more about visuals than substance.

But none of it matters because the transformers are secondary characters.. even in the trailers it seems.

I just don't understand it.. I'd love to see how much total dialogue throughout the entire franchise the transformers have had compared to the robots.. I'd also be interested in how much time the transformers are the main character on screen compared to humans.

You watch an iron man movie and tony stark is the true main character.. you watch captain America and he's the main character in the movie.. etc.

So, at this point, an actual good, well reviewed widely liked movie is way out of reach. The very least they could do is make the transformers the main characters. But seeing how they're introducing more humans, bringing back other humans, and will have to spend time introducing the new ones, then introducing the new ones to the old ones, I have VERY little hope that the movie will mainly focus on the robots.

Age of extinction is on FX right now, it's been on for about 25 minutes and the robots have had about two and a half minutes of screen time. That's just totally unacceptable. Cade's daughter does practically NOTHING in this movie yet she gets more screentime than drift and crosshairs combined.

I don't know why this doesn't piss more people off. Why wouldn't everyone want better movies? Why wouldn't everyone prefer this franchise to not be the laughingstock of the genre? Why wouldn't everyone want the robots to be the stars of the movies?

The MCU doesn't just bring new characters in out of nowhere with zero reasoning for their appearance or gets rid of characters without a proper explanation.

I wasn't a fan of any of the marvel characters when I was a kid, transformers were always what I liked most. But the MCU has REALLY gotten me more interested in the marvel characters especially iron man. I mean, they've been building these movies, stories, and characters for years now. Just imagine how awesome the transformers cinematic universe would be if it had been handled similarly.

But hey, as long as they make a ton of money, poorly reviewed or not, who gives a shit. The die hard fans will lap up most everything and excuse even more. The average movie goer just wants to see some robot action (the limited amount that there actually is). So why bother improving them when doing the bare minimum is profitable?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Alternative: just give Transformers to Marvel Studios. Worked back in 1984, I see no reason why it wouldn't work now.

This is what has puzzled me for so long about those who would defend these movies, especially AoE, as being legitimately good.

There's absolutely no reason for how much humans get fucking thrown into the spotlight in a film not supposed to be about them. Most of the time it's the 'well it's on Earth so humans need to be involved' excuse, but that doesn't cut it. The most that amounts to is humans need to be present as part of the setting, nothing more. Live action so the robots look real next to humans got thrown out when Transformium made all the human made transformers be the bastard children of the T-1000000 (basically a big spider version of the T-1000 from the Universal attraction, it defends the Skynet core) and the Yellow Devil from Megaman 2. And to date, nobody's ever answered my observation of how fucking useless manmade TFs are as weapons sold to wage conventional war given weakness to incindary rounds, technology that's been known to the world since WWII.

An alternative reason that's been popping up is the attraction of alternate human history, because missing the point entirely seems popular. To that I would argue that remove transformers and you just get a generic 'instead of the good guys winning, this actually happened' scenario.

Like Wolfenstien: The New Order where the Nazis won WWII and made shit like the London Monitor
    [​IMG]

But everywhere you go, it seems that the attraction to the direction the films are going in...is to make Transformers as less 'Transformery' as possible. Optimus Prime's sissy redesign to remove the blocky, powerful truck pieces so he looks like some humanoid knight that would get his ass kicked by ROM easily simply by standing in the same room, at the cost of actually looking like something that turns into a truck, is a great example.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lord Tron

Your whole comment is you throwing a temper tantrum. The robots are minor in AOE's opening because it builds up to optimus's awakening as our big reveal. It also dedicates that time to establishing Cade's motivation and the Yaeger's financial issues so Lucas turning optimus in is believable. It established these issues so Tessa and Cade's issues are understandable provided you don't just dismiss Tessa's perspective of the situation completely. These sections exist so our humans aren't plot devices they exist to give them personal issues and motivations to justify their presence in the story. This is why optimus and Cade work because they both have their own story arc with their own personal issues and motivation that relate to each other, this bond wouldn't work if Cade had no arc of his own separate from the transformers.

Once the Autobots reunite the robot focuse gets a lot better. Autobots reunite, camp scene, Galvatron and brains intro, optimus and Cade, bumblebee meets Stinger, the Autobots storm KSI, Chicago chase and Lockdown taking optimus, Lockdown and optimus aboard the ship, Lockdown giving the humans the seed, the Autobots getting on Lockdown's ship, them finding Prime, Bumblebee rescues humans and drone ship chase, Galvatron's plan, Lockdown heading back to Earth, Galvatron bringing the drones under control, have faith Prime. These scenes happen in a little more than the span of an hour. Are humans in those scenes many of them yes but that doesn't negate the robots, human stuff doesn't erase robot stuff from existence. The movies are doing a little thing called balance.

For example the ship rescue you have the Autobots getting aboard and separating from Cade, sabotaging the ship, finding optimus, Bumblebee rescuing the humans, crosshairs and the drone chase, the Autobots separating from the ship. KSI is hardly devoid of robots, Bumblebee meeting stinger, the Autobots seeing ratchet melted down, storming KSI rescuing Cade and confronting Joshua. In truth it's far more of an even split than people realize; the only reason humans appear to have more is because the TF aren't really involved in Sam or Cade's personal life while humans are involved with the Autobots be it working with the military, the government questioning their presence, or being hunted down but those scenes are usually not about the humans they are usually optimus's scenes and focus on him.

This complaint stopped being true a long time ago and I'm seriously surprised that fans still refuse to notice and honestly think these humans dragged into an alien war should have no personal life of their own, that our military should either not do anything or just be useless, that our government and how they feel about alien robots fighting a war on our planet shouldn't be explored. That's where a lot of the human stuff comes from exploring the implications of an alien war coming to our planet which should be a central priority of a live action TF franchise.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

And who the hell cares? I'm sick of Prime at this point - he's not supposed to be the only Autobot worth giving a damn about. Honestly, if the films like pushing the envelope so much, then maybe he should have died in ROTF. Clearly the mass murder of other characters in the vein of 1986 all over again at the beginning of AoE didn't have as much effect, according to you.

And the films make it really hard to root for the humans, given 99% of them are complete assholes and then there's Cade Yeager, the worst TF protag since fucking Energon. Kicker at least had a reason to stick around and not be a liability only. Cade still doesn't and he is a liability.

But what if it was a different alien species altogether? That's how tangental Transformers are. The actual gimmick of Transformation is shortchanged.
    So that's still only 1/3rd of a three hour film. You can't even say TFs take up 50% of the film!

Seriously? Who the fuck cares about balance? Live Action is too limiting if that's the case, that we have to get useless human filler for this 'balance'.

At the same time, by that same logic, removing human screen time in effect would actually give the robots more screen time by shortening the film.

Now make an argument about any other fucking character that isn't Optimus Overrated Prime. Last I checked he's not the only Autobot.

Because it's not about them. In Transformers (2007), Sam's involvement is only so far as getting the glasses, until Sector 7 attacks and grabs him, Megan Fox, and Bumblebee. At that point, he gets further drawn into the situation because then they all go to Hoover Dam where the AllSpark, Megatron, and the S7 base happen to be located at the same time the Decepticons attack...because Frenzy snuck in disguised as the phone.

The entire point of the SOCCENT base attack is to show how OP PLZ NERF just one Decepticon is against a fully loaded American base. Being useless without Autobot support is the intention. Until they figure out the incendiary rounds weakness which you continue to ignore every time I bring it up.

That was fucking DOTM. We've covered this shit already.

Seriously? It's a film trying to sell a toyline about robots beating the snot out of each other. The first film did what you describe, but that should have been the end of it. We get it, they're here, but this government politicing bullshit being more important than the titular robots the film is named after?

You only prove my point in how the films could just replace the Transformers with some entirely different alien race that had the ability to hide in plain sight and absolutely nothing changes after a few name changes to things like the Matrix and AllSpark.

I mean, films like District 9 come to mind.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Heck look at how many people have played Batman since 1989. Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, and Ben Affleck in live action. Plus the 32 voice actors who have been the voice of Batman between cartoons and video games.

But you don't hear people say I'm never going to watch another Batman movie, cartoon, or play another video game because Batman constantly reboots.