Why Transformers Animated will be a huge success.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Kickback, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Hello.

I've been thinking about this topic over the last few weeks and haven't come up with a good way to type it out until now. There have been a few threads explaining why people think Animated will be awesome, and plenty of counter-points against it and why it will be a mediocre line at best, and even a few posts that try to detail why it will fail, cause Hasbro to go bankrupt, and ruin the Transformers line forever.

However, please allow me to explain to you, both loyal readers and casual visitors, why I feel Transformers Animated will not only be a huge success, but continue to catapult the Transformers franchise into the top of the Boys line toys and peak the popularity out around levels of Transformers Armada, Robots in Disguise, and quite possibly, G1 and 2007 Movie lines.

Transformers the Movie

In case you've been living in a hole the last three years, a live-action movie was recently released to the masses showing off the hobby we've followed for 20 years or so now. And not only was it shown to the masses, but it can be argued as being one hell of a success, having brought in around $600,000,000 dollars worldwide since it's initial release July 2nd, 2007.

Everyone knows Transformers now. You couldn't escape it this summer. If you didn't watch TV, then it was in magazines. If you didn't watch TV or read magazines, it was all over the Internet (AOL Instant Messenger, ESPN's homepage, an entire theme for MySpace for a week, etc.). If you didn't watch TV, read magazines, or browse the Internet, you probably didn't see the movie because you don't live in our current civilized society.

Walk the toy-aisles. You will notice the movie section, with the exception of non-transforming toys (irony), the Transformers sections are bare. Wal-Mart has even restocked with OLD product just to get something to cover the shelves. Yes, the toys for the movie were under-stocked, but you can blame the overall failure of the Spider-Man 3 toys for that. Considering that Spider-Man 3 and Transformers shared many of the 4-ways that litter the toy aisles, many stores had to wait to put out Transformers toys until Spider-Man 3 toys moved. But the toys themselves have been a huge success, not even minor-restocks last more than a couple of days. Can you find a deluxe Bumblebee in your WalMart on your regular shopping hours (10am to 5pm)? I'm guessing no.

The movie's overall popularity has launched Transformers back to the mainstream. Kids are aware of it. And right when they're about to lose interest, the DVD will come out for Christmas, and the craze will start all over again. And what comes out right after Christmas?

Transformers Animated.

Cartoon Network

Transformers has been airing on Cartoon Network for a number of years now. However, this is the first time Transformers won't be shown at the butt-crack of dawn because this is an in-house project of Cartoon Network coupled with the team from Hasbro. This is a Cartoon Network production. And what does Cartoon Network love more than making money? Making money off their own produced shows, which is what Transformers falls into.

Transformers Animated is being given your Saturday morning cartoon slot. An incredible timeslot for the first time since ROBOTS IN DISGUISE aired on Fox Kids Saturday mornings at 10am, and weekdays at 4pm. And the success of ROBOTS IN DISGUISE paved the way for the success of Transformers Armada, which aired evenings on Cartoon Network's TOONAMI, along with the new and fan-loved MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE.

Coupled with the fact that the show is being given a GREAT timeslot, the show is being animated in Japan but everything else is American produced. Not Canadian, not Australian ... the story is written in Los Angelas by Cartoon Network with assistance from Hasbro in Pawtuckett, Rhode Island. The voice actors all work and live in the Los Angelas area, minus David Kaye, who recently got himself unionized so he could take American produced work in the states, hence his role as Optimus Prime in this cartoon. Susan Blu is involved with the series (see: Beast Wars), and will even be voicing the return cameo of her character, Arcee.

Which brings me to the next point...

Nods to G1 Transformers and ALL NEW Transformers

Perhaps you noticed that the voice actor for Animated Starscream is almost dead-on to Chris Latta, minus the high-pitched whine (though that may be there, we've only heard him speak one set of lines in grainy SDCC video of a video). Perhaps you noticed that Grimlock, Slag, and Swoop are in the series. Perhaps you've seen that Megatron looks like the movie at first, then looks like his G1 self (but a tank) when he reformats. Perhaps you've seen that clip where Arcee is with Ratchet. Or perhaps you remember David Kaye stating that Blurr makes a cameo, with John Moschitta (G1 Blurr) as his voice actor.

Bumblebee is a mix of his G1 character (a fan favorite), as well as his movie appearance (also a fan favorite).

Ratchet is a mix of his G1 character (a fan favorite, sometimes sexual) as well as his movie appearance (not as much a fan favorite but still has fans).

Optimus Prime is a mirror of his G1 self in robot mode, AND COMES WITH A BIG FREAKIN' AXE. I don't know how many of you saw More Than Meets The Eye part 2, where Prime pulls out an axe to fight Megatron on top of Sherman Dam....

But then you also have new characters. You have Bulkhead, who is obviously a throw-back to G1 Hound (green, white stars). You have Prowl, who is a FREAKIN NINJA (ninjas are sweet, we know this, and they end up being popular characters ... Storm Shadow Snakeeyes what?), and then you have even more new characters coming down the pipeline (there's whispers and rumors of Ultra Magnus, first mentioned at BotCon? And he's not a Prime repaint? WHAT?!)

If there's one thing collectors seem to love, it's nods to their previous favorite characters. Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Grimlock, Megatron, Starscream, Bulkhead, Ratchet, Prowl ... they all have 'em. And while you'll argue with me and say you don't like how Bulkhead looks, or Ratchet is a fatty, or Optimus Prime is anarexic and Megatron looks like a shoe with a gun ... you'll buy it. You'll freakin' buy it.

The toys look like the cartoon. And the cartoon airs at the best time possible. That means you'll be fighting with kids to buy your Transformers action figures. Maybe as much as you're fighting them now, since everyone is snagging up new figures as fast as possible with the movie line BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOU'LL EVER SEE IT AGAIN.

And finally...

There's no excessive quantities of lead paint in Transformers

Okay, so that's a stretch, but still.

I'll see you guys in the toy aisle in 2008, and we can talk about this morning's episode of Animated, and how everyone hopes that season 2 of the show brings in more favorites, or that they make toys of these characters making appearances.

The deal-clincher?

The Angry Archer

SOLD!

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm still getting used to the whole Animated aestetic, but I agree with all your points. I never went out of my way to watch any TF TV show in recent years, but I'm definitely going to try to catch this one, and hope it comes out of DVD if I like it. The toys look awesome (with a few reservations I have), and thats why I'm a TF fan so It looks like I'm in for the long haul (no pun intended:redface2:  )

3. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Longhaul rules!

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice work, as always.

Do we have confirmation on the time and frequency the show will air? Weekdays? After school?

5. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I believe they said at BotCon it will air Saturday mornings around 9am-ish, and air every Saturday with new episodes, and eventually be repeated weekday afternoons. I could be wrong on the last part, but if the show is a success, it'll be milked for all it's worth.

The marketing sheet for Animated said the "movie premiere" or also known as "the first 3 episodes" will air in December, but Hasbro said it's now January.

6. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I've been slowly warming up to the aesthetics of the new series. The more I hear about the new series, the more it sounds like it will have a lot of cool stuff going on in it that is going to be great for new people coming in as well as a ton of throwbacks to the original for us older fans. I agree that the movie has a lot to do with this newfound success. People know that Transformers exist again(despite never really going away). Also, it will be nice to finally have a series that doesn't get shafted, although thinking back, post Armada it's not necessarily a bad thing.

7. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Amen buddy! I have very high expectations for this serries. Like Beast Wars I'm going to give it time to flesh out before coming to a definitive conclusion. I'm sure, though, that it's going to kick major ass. I can't wait to buy the toys for my sons; and me of course. :D 

8. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    I'm still up in the air about this series. I can't get passed some of the designs of the 'bots. The same goes for the concept of the Autobots fighting evil humans, if in fact that rumor was true. I do however love the Starscream figure. Granted, hot off the heels of the movie and the movie toys, kids and most of the fan base are going to eat this series alive. I shall reserve final judgement though and not spoil anything for you guys.

Great write-up, by the way!

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Animated is going to have a -bigtime- advantage via its timeslot. And I believe it was mentioned at the Botcon panel that by doing the show in tandem with CN, it basically got guaranteed some prime timeslot real estate.

That alone will be a huge step up from the last couple years. :D 

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    There's precedent for that though, in the G1 Marvel Comics. The humans weren't outright evil but they misunderstood the situation and fought all Transformers regardless of allegiance.

Sector Seven too, now that I think of it.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Let's face it, realistically, there's a bunch of giant robots running loose on the planet. Of course someone is going to sit up and take action.

Heck, it's a key fact of a fanfic idea I've been working on!

Animated is totally going to rule. What I've seen of it impresses me. The animation is slick and smooth, the fight sequences look really good too. Megatron and Prime look like they have a sword VS axe fight early on, which will be a lot of fun to watch.

Every new rumour I hear about this show makes me more and more excited. The toys look fun too. Can't wait to own Starscream and Optimus :) 

12. tapestry100

tapestry100 poke a badger w/a spoon TFW2005 Supporter

I have been excited about this series since the very first teaser image of the Autobots surfaced, and that excitement is growing exponentially with each tidbit that is released. I really don't remember being this excited about any new series. It would seem that the timing is perfect for something like this to happen, and the new look is amazing, something fresh and new! Can't wait!!

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    :lol 

Good points Kickback. I really am excited to watch this show with my daughter. She has been watching my G1 dvds and movie for the last few months. And it will be cool to have toys to go with the show that I am not afraid to let her play with. Poor kid wants to play with G1 Jazz but I won't let her. She does have a ton of Robot Heroes though. And I am guessing those will continue with animated as well.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's definitely precedent for humans versus TFs/Autobots, even tiny bits in the G1 cartoon. Look at it this way - Autobots are generally anti-crime and anti-evil-destruction-whatever. If there was some terrorist or supervillain or just some guy with a gun robbing banks or making a mess of the town, and the police or military aren't on the scene yet, D'ya think the Autobots (most, autobots, anyway) are gonna go "hundreds could be killed here, but that guy shooting up the place is human, so we better not get involved." ?

(and you got the whole 'Decepticons behind the scenes, pulling the strings' angle too)

P.S. I agree Animated is gonna be tons of fun to watch, and is quite probably gonna be a big success.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  15. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its not them fighting humans that bothers me, but the campy super villian type humans i dont like so much. either way im still looking forward to the show and the toys.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I hope we get super villain action figures. Who here can honestly say they wouldn't want an Angry Archer signed by Aaron Archer?

17. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Do I think it will be a success? Yep

Do I think it will sell well in the toy market? Yep

Do I think the toys will be comparable to the show? Sure

Do I think the toys and show are cool looking? Um NO. They are ugly. I really feel like we have taken a step back since the 80s on animation but.....

BIG QUESTION: Will it have a good storyline????? Who knows? I sure hope it does. If it succeeds I can get over the awful animation.

Bottom Line: It will do well regardless due to recent movie hype but I hope it is actually a well-written show and hopefully the storylines are better than the animation :D 

18. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    I won't be buying the toys, but I'm really looking forward to the show! (Might make me buy a few figures if I really get into it.)

19. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    From what I've gathered on the storyline, it starts like this:

- The Autobots are looking for the AllSpark. Upon searching for it, they run in to Decepticons. The Decepticons in this series are a force to be reckoned with, they're not comedy relief cannon fodder like in every other series thus far. Though I'm sure we'll have one or two laughs at of Blitzwing, for example.

- The AllSpark ends up on Earth, and the Autobots show up. The main human character, a young girl, has a father who builds robots for a living (Detroit is now the robot manufacturer of the world, where they were once cars). There seems to be a relationship issue between the father and his concern of his daughter and the relationship she has with the Autobots.

- There are human super villians, just like in real life they are human villians all over the place. These will be the Autobots first challenges, as they're not war-hardened veterans they're simply explorers/maintenance bots.

- As time goes on, the Decepticons arrive, and that's when the "OMG HUMANS!" crying will stop.

There are Dinobots. Blitzwing is here. What more can you ask for?

20. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    One of the recurring human villains needs to be extremely good-looking and sexy (for a cartoon), have a great sense of humor, excellent fashion sense, and wears an aviator cap and goggles.