Why they're not making Decepticons with more humanoid face structure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NemesisPrime12, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

He was being sarcastic - this has been a topic discussed to death over the past decade.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Because Bay and company relied too much on visuals, rather than characterization, to portray the Decepticons as their evil selves. . .A cheap easy-way-out cop-out which "justifies" them being offed easily. . .

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Well-Known Member

And Prime. Actually it's every TFU. Even Bayverse done this in the later movies.
    I don't mind if the face looks a bit human like to minimum to moderate level, but too human is not good.

4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Jetfire had a normal face.

5. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    I think it really comes down to the expressiveness of a character, and to echo what others have said, the characterization. Lockdown, Sentinel, these guys had a lot more personality to them than say Bonecrusher or Blackout or the Dreads, and the more humanoid faces helped that expressiveness. Characters like the Dreads, the Constucticons, etc, were nothing more than cannon fodder- it's echoed in many other movies too, like in Avengers: IW, Thanos's CGI was toned down to make him look more like Brolin to show more expression, but of course his army was just monstrous aliens to serve as cannon fodder.

With that said, I feel like the Bumblebee movie will change that up a bit- it seems Dropkick, Shatter and Blitzwing all have much more humanoid faces, so time will tell if they have more characterization than the baycepticons.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    When the first movie came out, I read an interview where someone said that the Autobot faces are modeled after the Autobot insignia and the Decepticon faces are based on the Decepticon symbol.

Amazingly, if we go by that theory, Lockdown's face is modeled after the Quintesson insignia:

Lockdown.jpg

The original plan may have been to have Quintessons as The Creators but the Writers' Room changed it to a single Quintessa.

• Like Like x 6
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    How the fuck is Megatron's face not humanoid?

• Like Like x 1
  8. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

Same reason that the armies the Avengers fought in the movies were all aliens or robots - when they're en-masse troops that are there for the heroes to kill, you want them to NOT look human so you can't identify with them. Shatter and Dropkick look slightly more human though, so hopefully they have a little more personality behind them.

9. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

This is probably the perfect response to this thread topic. Bravo!

• Like Like x 1
  10. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dotm_Crowbar_standoff.jpg
    Eh, I'd argue the The Dreads had good facial expressions. Particularly Crowbar during the Mexican Standoff scene.
    That eyebrow motions though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

I'm not sure whether to be impressed since that's way too close to not be what the intention is here...or ever more disappointed because this just is another reason to believe the 'Creators' were always going to be the goddamn Quints like everybody thought and AoE was just blowing smoke up everybody's asses in trying to pretend it wasn't the Quints.

• Like Like x 1
  12. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    A contributing factor is you'll have people crying, "Oh the characters all have the same faces, I can't tell the good guys from the bad guys!"

Anyway, logic wise, there are aspects of the facial designs that doesn't sit right with me. Obviously robots would not need a larynx or mouth to talk, as they'd likely use sound processors. They don't need to breathe air like humans do, so a nose is redundant. Even if sensors are needed to detect elements of the environment, surely it could take other forms instead of a nose. And they certainly don't need to be limited to two eyes. They can have four, six or whatever (I know a few did).

Perhaps it's all down to people's need to relate. It makes me sad that this emotional aspect trumps logic and realism, and also curtails creativity, when it comes to the robot designs. And I hate humanity's pride in thinking that everything should mirror ourselves.

Said it a million times and I'll say it again. It's highly unlikely that an alien lifeform from millions of light years across the galaxy would have the same general body shape and facial features as us. Add to that, said lifeform has an ability to turn themselves into virtually anything, yet they all end up looking like us.

Anyone who can overcome the need for relatability and familiarity, and able to see the bigger picture about extraterrestrial life and the universe, would find this scenario rather absurd.

But hey, I guess one good thing is it's destroyed my interest in collecting Transformers, so I get to save money.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 1:51 AM