Why the TRNS-03 Alicon is AWESOME

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Botch, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Botch

Botch Decepticon Intelligence

Ebay:
    Let me briefly tell you why the new third-party Alicon is AWESOME (despite what some reviewers have been saying).

First let me begin by saying that I love pretty much all the third-party toys I own. From FansProject Crossfire (Bruticus) to iGear Rager (Huffer), from TFC Toys Hercules (Devastator) to ToyWorld Hegemon (Megatron)... I love my third-party toys. Each of them sit in my TF Classics case and make my "modernized" G1 collection that much more complete and perfect.

But my Alicon won't be joining them. Why? Because he's not a Classics-style Transformer; he's a G1-style Transformer! Everything about him -- the colors, the angles and contours, the feel of the plastic, the style of transformation -- screams GEEWUN. An improved G1, to be sure: he has greater articulation in his arms and legs than most any G1 toy ever had. He comes with no instructions, but that's okay because his transformation is fairly intuitive. (His box art effectively answers any question about where certain pieces should go.) He has a very little bit of accessory kibble, just enough to be G1-endearing. (It did take me a little while to figure out I had to remove the forward-facing spikes on his shoulders.) He is a soul brother and companion to my G1 Sharkticon. They were made for each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was compelled to write this review because I was shocked to learn that this toy was getting a mess of negative reviews. By contrast, I felt I got exactly the toy I expected: a toy that should have been made in 1986 but wasn't, that would fit in my G1 cabinet, and that was very 1986 in feel while having modern articulation. It doesn't feel cheap. My toy's joints aren't loose. The coloring looks pretty flawless. His spears (two for good measure) are happily pointy and detailed.

This toy is AWESOME! Everyone should buy it.

(It doesn't hurt that my wife has an affection for alligators and crocodiles, and that she specifically called out the Alicons in her review of TF:TM. It doesn't hurt at all.)

~ Botch

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    he does look great next to Gnaw, there!

3. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    g1 had sharkticon toys? I thought those were 3rd party too.

4. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Looks decent.

5. C-109

C-109 Targetmaster

I think a lot of the negativity you are seeing regarding this figure comes down to the buyer's perceived value of what they paid for.

Is it a great G1 style figure? You betcha! Is it worth $80 when that same amount can snag you an FP Insecticon and FWI Ironhide Upgrade? Both A & B sets of TFC's Iron Army? Add a few dollars more and pick up PE's Arcee, MMC's Starscream or A Herc or Uranus figure/Limb or any other combination of third party products that give you more bang for the buck? Probably not.

I think that's the real issue, not the quality of the figure itself.

6. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had thought about buying one, but pics like yours is what changed my mind. It really is meant for a G1 display. I can get away with having the Quints in with my Classics figures and not having it look that off, but seeing how similar this is in aesthetics with other 1986 toys confirmed my decision to pass.

7. Botch

Ebay:
    I can totally see not wanting the figure because it's more appropriate for G1 than Classics. I can also totally understand not thinking it's worth $80 compared to other third-party (Classics-style) toys.

But price aside, I can't understand why anyone would bash this toy. Judged on its own merit as a "neo-G1" toy, I think it's fabulous.

8. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The quality control sounds like it sucks. Hell, watch Vange1us review . . . the in-hand copy is flawed and his prior one was so bad it was exchanged.

Impossible Toys joins Xovergen in the DO NOT BUY list

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    and yet G1 toys in "fair/good" condition go for about the same

hmm.....

yeah, yeah. nostalgia and all that but. you're still knockin down $80 or so for a bricky toy, whether its new or not

either way, this thing does look awesome. if i was rich enough to be a hardcore G1 collector i'd be all over this :p 
    [Alicons were so awesome in TFTM. i loved em <3]

10. X Nightmare

X Nightmare Your Worst Nightmare

News Credits:
    I bought 3 of these from Tfsource. 2 of them are almost perfect in QC. The third one has some bad paint apps and loose joints. The joints were easy to fix. My only complaint is the price. Would of been happier to pay $60 for each.

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    To the OP I'm going to make this figure even better for you. You know those double spears? Look in the Alligator mouth, there is a connector piece to make it one big spear for bot mode. In Alt mode he can hold each half of the spear and the spikes that you remove are attached to the bottom of each half.

I for one support the figure but agree, it is more of a $50 piece than an $80 piece. But you did hit one very important nail on the head, G1. This is a total and complete G1 figure. This is not a repurpose Classics figure but G1, G1, G1. If you buy this knowing that you will add this to your G1 collection you will be very pleased. If you buy this for whatever else reason, you will not be happy with your purchase.

The negative review came from someone that got the " 4:55pm Friday night special" were the paint was a mess, screws stripped and two of the same Alt mode hands. Mine was very much like yours....prefect, tight joints aside from ONE loose bicep swivel.

[​IMG]

12. Botch

Ebay:
    Damn! Thanks for the tip, I can't wait to get home and try this.

13. periL75

periL75 Soft Fleshy Bi-Ped

Ebay:
    I am buying this toy. And it will go right into my G1 display where there's a spot waiting for it.
    I can understand the dislike for it from anyone who isn't looking for a G1 toy. But I think it's a must buy for collectors with a G1 collection. It really does fill a void there and I'm so happy to see a company actually putting something like this out 20 some-odd years after the fact. I agree the price is a little steep, but I'll support them on this one.
    Thanks for letting me play with yours Adam and for putting up good words on this fig :) 

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  14. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Punched a squirrel.

News Credits:
    I was pretty happy to find the connector piece inside the Alicon's mouth.

So, I bought two and have opened one. Overall, I've very happy with the Alicon but I do have a few issues. First mine came out of the box with a messed up taill hinge. If you have one, you know the connection between sections is hinged, one of mine was stretched and has massive stress wear in it. Second, the tail being hollow bothers me. I know, but it does. They could've easily popped a second piece into each section to fill it in.

Still, they are pretty neat. And the original post is right, they are very much a G1 style two. That said, putting them in your classics won't be an issue either. They're big, blocky and primative so they aren't supposed to be the sleek Generations style.

Finally, I would also support a lower price tag.

15. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I just opened up mine. I love him. He fits G1 perfectly! I like this one much more then all the 'static' non transforming Quintessons. And this thing is BIG!

[​IMG]

iDD

16. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Legal stuff first as always, Alicon is not an official Transformer from Hasbro or Takara-Tomy, but rather a figure produced by third party company Impossible Toys. It's clearly meant to resemble the Quintesson guards seen in the third season of the G1 Transformers cartoon, but it's not officialy sanctioned.

Robot Mode: Let's start with what is - for me at least - the greatest thing about this figure: it looks like it was released in 1986 as part of the G1 season 3 toys, right alongside toys like Wreck-Gar and Kup. He has a very G1-like feeling to him and looks very much like the Quintesson henchmen from the cartoon series. Very nicely done, it warms my G1-fanatic heart.

Despite looking like a typical G1 figure, though, Alicon has the articulation of a modern-day (non-official) Transformer. Okay, due to his bulkiness one would never call him a contortionist, but he has all the necessary joints and despite being a bit back-heavy, he can pull off quite a few nice poses. One little downside: his head tends to slip downward into his torso sometimes, as there is no solid connection to keep the plate where it's on in place, but that's just a minor thing. No other downsides I can think of.

For a weapon Alicon carries two spears that can combine into one long spear via a connecting piece that's stored inside the mouth of his beast mode. Seeing as the toy came without an instruction manual, I had to look that up online, by the way. At first I thought they forgot the connecting piece with mine. Anyway, the spear looks good, very much like the weapon the Quintesson guards carried in the cartoon. So bottom line, a very nice robot mode with a very nice G1-feel to it.

Beast Mode: The Alicon transforms into a robotic beast that looks like the love child between an alligator and Trypticon. It's basically a huge alligator head with a tail, skinny arms and stubby legs. It sure doesn't resemble any natural beast I know, but it's not supposed to, either. It's supposed to look like the big robotic beasts the Quintessons used to execute whatever sentients displeased them and it does that job very well. The beast can open and close its mouth, the skinny arms have shoulder and elbow joints, and the legs (basically just the lower legs of the robot mode) still retain some articulation as well. Also, you can bend the long tail at numerous places (upwards only).

Only two slight downsides to this mode. One, you have to remove two of the spikes on the robot's shoulders in order to transform him into beast mode. Those spikes can be put on the other end of the two spears (with the connecting piece going back into the Alicon's mouth), but this leads to the second downside, that there's nowhere to store the spears. You can put them into Alicon's hands in beast mode, too, but that looks kinda strange to me. I'd have preferred to store them in his back somehow, but that doesn't work. Then again, this is pretty much a new G1 toy and G1 toys usually had left-over parts in at least one mode, so I can let this one go for nostalgia reason. No other complaints, an awesome beast mode.

Quality: Remember the last Impossible Toys figure I reviewed, the TRNS-01 Valkyrie aka Not-Arcee? Remember how the quality of that toy was truly abysmal? Well, you can rest easy. While I wouldn't call Alicon the sturdiest or best-made toy ever, he's a far cry from the fragile mess Valkyrie was. I wouldn't hand him to a small kid, but then again, I wouldn't hand any of my TFs to a small kid. So what I'm saying: the quality is fully okay here. No problems at all.

Remarks: In many ways the Quintessons were the main bad guys of the third season of the original Transformers series, with the Decepticons reduced to a minor terrorist threat. And since the Quintessons never did much fighting themselves, they had henchmen for that. One type, the Sharkticons, got a toy in G1 named Gnaw. The other type, though, which never got a proper name in the cartoon (only referred to as Quintesson Guards) never did, though. It was only in the Dreamwave comics that they got a name, Allicons, and it took third party provider Impossible Toys to finally give them a toy. And make no mistake, it's a G1 toy through and through.

Which brings me to the main thing you need to keep in mind when you consider buying this toy: it does not fit among Classics / Universe / Generations figures. It needs to be among G1 toys. So if you are an old-school G1 fanatic like me, go and buy it! If you are not, then you might be better served leaving this one on the side.

Rating: A-

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'm stoked to add this to my g1 display

18. philipjreed

philipjreed Well-Known Member

Alicon Is Fun!

Here are some pics from my Alicon review. It's not perfect, but it is a fun toy. Now I wanna take some time to illustrate this beast.

Attached Files: