Why the minicons in Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by battlebeasts, Nov 2, 2006.

1. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

Minicons are in the Clasics line because Hasbro owns every one of our souls, and they know it.

2. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Heh. I've got all the Hasbro released MicroMasters from the tail end of G1 (though two sets I had to track down on eBay more recently) plus reissue Star Convoy and the KB Toys Universe combiners, but up until now I hated minicons. I just didn't like the gimmick of the main transformers having to drag along a little guy everywhere just in case they needed to use their big guns. Especially when the alt modes didn't match up well, like StarScream's little race car partner. The cartoon only managed to avoid the issue by having the minicons pop out of subspace or whatever. The only Armada toys I have are Unicron and Sideways.

But I really like the giant planet team and the classics teams, they are a step up from the Armada sets. Mostly because a lot of the Armada trios were tied to having a team-wide gimmick (combine into perceptor or a weapon, transform into guns/weapons for the big robots to use, gears that hook to Cyclonus, firing missiles) and they don't have to restrict themselves with that stuff now. I just have to ignore the little universal hole they all have.

3. Quickswitch

Quickswitch Assault Warrior

Yeah, that's true. Basically Mini-cons were like Micromasters + Powermasters, which wasn't too bad of an idea, but to each his own. I got rid of most of my Armada toys, only ones I have left are Unicron & Terrorsaur.

The combining to form a larger robot I thought was cool, as gestaults at that scale have been done before & not too badly either. The combing to form big weapons seemed kinda weird, but the transforming into a 3rd weapon mode I think is great. G1 had "targetmasters" & even the Seacons had a 3rd weapon mode.

The Giant Planet Team is awesome & the classics teams are also sweet. What I noticed on my Destruction Team is they don't even have the sculpted on Mini-Con logos anymore. Hasbro must've phjased them out of the newer designs, or just altered the sculpts to remove them.

Something weird I noticed the other day involving a Gen 1 micromaster vehicle. I got the Decepticon Micromaster Anti-Aircraft Base (http://www.cobraislandtoys.com/tf/1990/antiaircraft.html) from a local hobby store & since it didn't come with Blackout or Spaceshot & decided to use it for my Destruction team to drive around. Being a little taller then a Micromaster, they still fit inside nicely but while I was putting them in I noticed some pegs on the tank. Now, these pegs serve no purpose according to the instructions but each have a hole in them....just like Mini-con powerlinx points. So I grabbed one of the mini-cons & *POP* it fit right on! :eek: 

I know mini-con pegs are basically just the standard TF size peg with an added hole in it, but what're the odds of a micromaster vehicle made in 1990 having pegs that work with transformers made a decade later? Needless to say my Decepticon Minicons are now driving around in their new/old tank & have a HQ to plan attacks on the autobot minicons.

-Quickswitch

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    You just answered your own... well, it wasn't a question, per se, but you just answered it yourself.

5. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Pretty good, actually. Many other G1 TFs use pegs that can accomodate Mini-Cons, since they're just based on some kind of standard-use peg. I think I'd heard that Ultra Magnus could fit them somewhere, and I know he's not the only one. These sorts of things are around somewhere on the forums...

6. Quickswitch

Quickswitch Assault Warrior

Well the standard-use peg I knew about, it's just that I don't see many of them on G1 toys with the holes already in them. If there's a topic out there about this I'll have to do a search for it or something. Thanks for the info! :rock 

-Quickswitch

7. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    The real answer to the question is: They were meant for Cybertron (pretty obviously looking at them, there's ones to match themes from each planet) and i believe they were originally meant to come out in the 2 packs (hence not sharing common molding sprues which is how we got 1 member of each team with that Primus bonus pack at Wal-Mart)
    Pretty sure Aaron Aarcher said that we'de be getting new mold minicons in the 2 packs at aeither Botcon0 or OTFCC04

i believe they were held over to Classics LITTERALY as filler, simply to Maintain shelf presence at the Basic pricepoint until the movie stuff starts to drop, just like the "classic" LoCs...

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Me Grimlock say more dino Mini-Cons needed!