Why the hell did they call the line Generations?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, May 27, 2011.

1. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Maybe if this was planned out from the start, but it wasn't. The "Classics" line was a filler line because of the delay of the first film. It was never inteded to be anything more, until popularity demanded for the line to continue (read: Hasbro saw dollar signs... more dollar signs, after the hit the first movie line was).

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hahaha me too!

I'm so glad they mainly focus on G1 ;)  ...... What?

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    With the exception of "video game", Universe has actually encompased some of those things:

Comics - Dropshot showed up in AHM as early as issue #4 in alt. mode (the giveaway was the Vehicle numbering being the exact same as on the toy), then transformed towards the end and got his ass kicked by Kup.

film - Technically, Galvatron since he was introduced in the movie. Oh, and the Mini-bot legends also included Wheelie.

T.V. - Acid Storm. He showed up in ONE EPISODE and was not named, instead just being part of the Rainmaker seeker group. He had even less of a chance of getting a toy than Straxus did, yet greenscream got a toy long before Straxus.

Voyager Inferno was also technically a G2 figure, as he as the water cannon instead of the ladder, plus the branding on the box states as much.

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

word

5. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

"Instead". Why does everyone say "instead"? G2 Inferno had both the water cannon and a ladder.

More reason why I wish Uni. Inferno had a ladder. Seriously the only flaw of the toy.

6. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because a War For Cybertron line would not have been as popular?

7. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I am not really sure why it matters what they are called, but for the sake of discussion, the line is theoretically not "finished" yet. We will get confirmation at Botcon, but it was my understanding that Generations line would be ongoing even after the movie, so there would be more opportunity to have more "generations" in the line.

To be honest, marketing always dictates these things though. They may have the figures already made, but if their marketing department says, "we need a new name for the line to advertise" then they just change it, but who really cares, just as long as we get the toys :) 

8. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I always thought it was called' Generations' as people who were children in the early 80s are now introducing the modern versions of their toys to their offspring, as well as the fact different generations generations were covered. A simple play on words.

9. Nemesis Liger

Nemesis Liger Well-Known Member

Perhaps the "Generations" in the title pertains to the the Seasons and continuities they were from. I mean, the line started out with a WfC theme and then for Wave 6 we had a set of Season 1 G1 characters and by 7 we got a taste of Season 3. Most of what came before was a combination of IDW and Season 2.

Example:

Wave 3

* Cybertronian Soundwave -- WfC
    * Red Alert -- Season 2

Wave 4

* Blurr (Season 3/IDW)
    * Dirge (Season 2)

Plus characters like Thunderwing, Skullgrin, and Darkmount, while essentially G1, were mostly faces familiar to the Marvel Comics Continuity.

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generations makes sense. It's a continuation of the Universe line but marketing law demanded that the name be changed to trick stores into ordering it.

11. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i believe in the Q & A in one of the earlier sessions hasbro said they had plans to "include many lines and characters into the Generations brand" which would suggest they will get to G2/Beast wars /RID eventually