Why the Hatred for Critics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AutobotAvalanche, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Are your fan edits including the best movieverse "Gimme ur face" and "We kill them all!" moments? Those are of the highest mark and should be never edited out!

2. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

A lot of people can’t emotionally handle opposing opinions, which is exacerbated even more when a significant amount of their identity is tied to a movie/brand. They, in turn, personalize the opinion they disagree with as an attack on them and lash out at the critic as a adolescent defense mechanism.

• Like Like x 2
  3. backhawkdown

Maybe he is confusing the deliberate attempt to subvert the audience’s expectations with being bold in their choices.

Unfortunately Johnson’s intention is pretty evident in his decisions, and the intent wasn’t to be bold.

4. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Critics have far too much sway on public opinion. On top of that, since YouTube and other social media platforms , now EVERYONE is a critic suddenly.

On top of THAT TOO, since misery loves company, before you know it, all you have is a negative sh*tstorm of hatred, bashing, knee jerk reactions and overall negative press on something that the non vocal, non internet posting people actually enjoyed.

Don't believe me?

Try and find one single positive review of The Last Jedi. YouTube is nothing but a hornests nest of people over reacting to a movie that is actually very, very good.

• Like Like x 2
  5. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Subverting Star Wars fans expectations a huge fandom with a notoriously fickle, loud, and vitriolic "hardcore" group isn't a bold choice in and of itself?

• Like Like x 1
  6. backhawkdown

No, it’s simply being contrary because you have been given the ability to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  7. backhawkdown

YouTube is filled with those videos because people who like the Last Jedi either aren’t compelled to make videos defending it, or perhaps can’t really verbalize how Poe Dameron believing he wouldn’t have been blown out of space approaching the FO fleet, and then throwing a yo momma joke, other than with the character knowing he isn’t real, isn’t in any real danger, and that his writer has contrived a ridiculous scenario that he will survive despite any plausibility of the scenario, makes for good drama or story telling.

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    If 'The Last Jedi' was a better film, then there'd be a lot less unhappiness.

Don't blame those with an opinion; blame that which they have an opinion about.

9. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I try and cut out all the stuff that is not essential to the plot, though avoiding cutting any robot screen time. There is barely any "the parents" in my cuts. And no Sam job search

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I do think the critics have become rather out of touch with the common audience.

I mean they aren't exactly wrong about the Transformers movies but they are giving too much pass of certain franchises. I mean I love the MCU but even I can admit some of the movies don't deserve the fresh rating.

The Last Jedi is anything but a fresh rated movie IMO.

I haven't seen Bright yet but for whatever reason they all dogpiled on that one.

Basically it's best to think for yourself and give it a shot and form your own thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I feel quite a few of the major plot points with Luke, Rey and Kylo Ren were not what I was expecting: I assumed Luke was mourning Han at the end of TFA, but as it turns out he wasn't and he's turned into a bitter, anti-social arsehole rather than the wise holy man in isolation I assumed he was; ditto for his passing - totally not expecting that. Kylo Ren getting to fridge Snoke hardcore was like the LAST thing I thought was going to happen. As for Rey, while I was hoping for it I was pretty stoked to have it that her parents were a bunch of fuckin' nobodies - real shit pieces in fact. Plus I think it was cool that she made a super dumb decision to try and redeem Kylo Ren. Mind, I'd have been really impressed if she'd joined him and left the Resistance without a Jedi and the First Order with two of them.

But boldness only gets you so far. There is every possibility that they'll fumble this shit in Episode IX and it'll be for nothing and end up looking either AS dumb as everyone has been saying or worse, DUMBER.

So, you pulled of a pretty sick jump stunt, Mr. Johnson. Just make sure you stick the landing.

I"m more than happy for that to be your opinion, but don't be so arrogant as to imply I'm confused about my own opinion.

No, now more people (functionally everybody) has a platform for their voice. That isn't the same thing. Also, critics are not Charles Xavier so if they have sway over you then its either because they've made a convincing enough case that you agree with it, or you're not as psychologically or intellectually powerful as you think you are.

So, which is it?

You'll get no argument from me that the internet review scene trends toward the hyperbolic negative but considering the inane bullshit that gets pulled from the internet's collective arse when something is widely praised - see the Disney paid off critics to give all the MCU films journalistic blowjobs nonsense that crops up - I can't say that it isn't what we deserve.

No, as a matter of fact I don't.

Boom. Done.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    What MCU movies do you think don't deserve to be Fresh? There are a few I don't love, but none I think would deserve the 60% of critics giving it a failing grade that is required to earn a Rotten rating.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well if I had to pick, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange are movies I'd call good or 7/10, nothing mind-blowing but put together with enough skill and surface level charm that watching them is enjoyable.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I’ve seen most of the MCU films, - Dr. Strange and Thor Dark World.

IMO the only film not deserving a Fresh rating was Iron Man 2.

I didn’t like Iron Man 3, but can still give it credit for being made decently.

15. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Cautious Optimist

This x1000. You don't have to listen to critics, mainly because you are the judge of what constitutes a good movie. Take Thor Ragnarok and The Last Jedi. Both looked lame to me (for many reasons), so I skipped. Critics raved. Didn't really see what there was to rave about, so I stand my ground. I liked Justice League for some of the reasons critics didn't. Liked the TLK, and many critics didn't. What good does it do me if I take their opinion as fact? TL;DR: I don't like movie critics, so I avoid them. I don't hate the players, just hate the game.

Just watch the trailers, talk to your friends and family, and decide to see or not. Maybe if you regret skipping, find it at Redbox or Netflix or whatever. Buy it on Blu-ray or see it again if you love it. If you don't, warn your friends and family.

EDIT: Lmao at this thread.

Also,
    +1

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

Look, I'm a HUGE Bayformers fan! I grew up with it, and without it I wouldn't be a part of this awesome fandom. And I realize everyone has their own opinions, especially on these films. Considering how old I am to others in this fandom (no offense!), it baffles me how far people go when announcing their opinions.

Now, I don't mind what the critics say, because, let's be honest, they always say the same things regarding these movies. But I will admit that when I saw that article on Rolling Stones, I was a bit angered. I mean come on! Most toxic movie of the year! Like what?! Now, my mom was eh on the TLK and even she thought that was out of proportion!

I don't care what critics say, I only get angered when it's blown way out of control. But I would never threaten anyone's life over a film. In fact, all these people that are sending death threats at each other over a film piss me off more than what the critics say! I hate when people joke about life or throw the term around like it's not important.

Sorry, got a bit off topic. I don't like people to threaten others' lives. (I've recently been dealing with helping a friend stop herself from doing something life threatening and it's been taking a toll on me..)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    The hatred for critics is there because most of the psychopaths working in the entertainment industry at least try to put up a front of humanity.
    And the great majority of them succeeds all too well in convincing most people that they aren't dangerous amoral individuals.
    Critics don't even try.

18. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ignore the fools known as critics, make your own opinions and decisions

• Like Like x 3
  19. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

Believe it or not, IHateEverything actually liked the movie a lot. Which predictably got his comments section in a tizzle.

I'd rather have an honest critic lambasting a shit movie for being a shit movie, than the usual corporate doublespeak from industry spokespersons.

20. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

Something that really grinds my gears is when people not only tell their opinion, but continue to say it and force it down others' throats.

If you hate the movies, don't go to a thread where people are excited for the movie and be that one ass hole who ruins the fun. I suppose critics watch the movies cause they it's either they're job, or they're looking for something to hate until it's long gone.

I found out about this site in late 2014- early 2015, by wich AOE was already out of theaters. So, when I saw how many hated the films, I was a bit taken aback. However, after reading people's reasoning as to why they don't like the movies, I started to understand, but out of all those comments I read as a non-member, only 1/4 actually said some thing positive, another 1/4 made valid points, while the rest just showed hatred with no reason.

Over time, I realized to not let it get to me. I wasn't mad that others didn't like what I like, I was mad at those who blatantly told others what was "trash and a disgrace to the fandom" to those who found something to enjoy from the films. Hell, there were so many people complaining about TLK that when the film came out, I couldn't get those thoughts out of my head, and it put a damper on my enjoyment. I most likely would of loved TLK if I just never read a single thread about it, and that's what annoys me. People who can't let others enjoy what they do, because they won't just accept others opinions and think their words are final when judging a film.

I apologize for deviating from the main topic, but that's my problem with critics. And if you think I misinterpreted everything, well IDK, but that's my perspective on the whole thing.

• Like Like x 1