Why the Hatred for Critics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AutobotAvalanche, Dec 8, 2017.

1. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    The people who don't realize that their subjective opinions are just that, opinions need to take this advice too. You don't get to dictate what is bad art.

• Like Like x 3
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    No, but you should damn well be able to say what you think is bad art without people throwing a tantrum.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    And you should be able to tell people you think they are wrong without them getting over sensitive about it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I've never seen a critic of any kind get upset over public response to their review.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    I was referring to people on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Silvia

Silvia Well-Known Member

The relationship between critics and viewers can be thorny because each group has its way of seeing and understanding cinema. The parameters that critics favor when evaluating a film contrast strongly with those of the respectable. For the first group, the social and human message, as well as other aesthetic and narrative qualities, are the priority when evaluating film works. For a spectator, things go more on the visceral plane: what emotions a film arouses on the big screen without stopping to brood on meanings and metaphors. Both approaches are valid, although for the opposite of their natures they are destined to collide.

The funny thing is that, despite the campaigns carried out by certain Hollywood figures to use the critics as scapegoats for their failures, the latter often coincide with the audiences regarding the quality of several films. However, there are particular cases in which there is a clear disconnection between these sides and what critics love the public is indifferent or vice versa.

[​IMG]

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    You liked Ang Lee's Hulk?

• Like Like x 2
  8. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No no, there is an arrogance with fans. They think their opinion is the correct one, and if you disagree with their 'irrefutable' opinion you're being negative, a shit poster, or a harasser. The problem isn't the critics that judge these movies based on an entirely different metric than the way we judge them. The problem is the fan that lives in a specific bubble and can't deal with opposing opinions. What's worse is that type of mentality is spreading out into the greater lexicon.

Humility and civility is what most fans need.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Speaking as someone who loved these movies growing up, saw more of their faults as I got older, but still doesn't hate them (I genuinely enjoy the odd numbered movies), I definitely agree that the criticism against critics goes way too far, sometimes. I think it all boils down to the feeling of, when someone is finding fault with something you like personally, it can feel like a personal attack for some people. I used to be that way myself. The problem comes from making your opinion known, without bashing the people you disagree with.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know on that one.

I catch a lot of movie reviews because I'm always looking for that great film that is flying under the radar either because the studio doesn't know how to market it or they just don't have the budget to bombard people with advertisements. So I might have missed movies like Your Name or Atomic Blond if there wasn't a film critic out there going hey you might want to give this movie a chance.

In those reviews I haven't really caught that ivory tower vibe you are talking about. Chris Stuckmann just seems like your average Joe that just happens to review movies. Jeremy Jahns strikes me as the dude type. Grace Randolph at Beyond the Trailer and Movie Math might have a ton of movie business knowledge but watching her reaction to films it's like someone who never outgrew the childhood wonder and magic of seeing a movie. With just purely written reviews it's a bit harder to grasp the personality behind the reviews, but the words used in the reviews don't match the words used by the ivory tower types.

I've read works by the hoity toity class for other interest of mine and it just seems like they would find movie reviews pedestrian. With the right magazine aimed at the crusty upper crust I'm sure you can find that look down your nose movie critic but most reviews seem to aimed more at a middle or working class level because that's who tends to go to see movies.

11. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon stuff dreams are made of

there were some good moments, the comic book panels were an interesting touch, and sam elliots thunderbolt was great

12. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

No, I LOVED Ang Lee's Hulk. Like I would rank it up there with Dark Knight as one of the best comic book movies ever made.

13. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy shit. You grew up with Bay? I guess that's now happening.

14. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I got into Transformers because of Transformers Animated, but I was interested because of the movies, and did enjoy them throughout my teen years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Well-Known Member

It's because the Cult of Bay is butthurt over critics laying truthbombs.

16. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    WHY I HATE CRITICS? Ну, ребята, вы зря спросили.

They are unnecessary.
    The Hollywood cinematography exists for 100 years already and major, easy-accessible review and rating services exist only for several years. People lived without them successfully. The cinematography is an art. The most complicated art! All of the movie features are subjective, as in every type of art. ALL FEATURES, including acting, pacing, editing and storytelling, everyone speaking about. You even can't make the normal rating of the car models, because different people like different cars, how we can speak about MOVIES rating ever? In cinematography everything is subjective! For example, many people say that TFs are too fast-paced, but honestly, I never, EVER, suffer from it, even on TF5! But Bladerunner and Avatar look too lazy and boring for me and Gurdians of the Galaxy look truly fast-paced - in the middle of the movie I forgot, who is who and what's happening:lol  Another examples - my mom loves low-budget horror movies, like Piranhas and Anaconda, I said her many times, that they are so empty, but she watches them again and again! And series like Santa Barbara?:lol  Many people ADORE them! We all are different and there are different movies for us. There are no bad movies and good movies - there are ones, you like and don't like, because of your unique perception and individual life experience. The features you don't like can be very important for someone else!

It's essential that movies are filmed not for the analysis of what characters and moments were needed or not and so on. Like Leonardo's Mona Lisa was created not for the analysis of used paints and techniques. The art is created to give viewers the holistic complicated perception, the sincere emotions and rare life experience. It's just ridiculous to read the review after watching some movie - they analyze actors' acting in the moments in which I cried from catharsis. Why? And why people read them? Because having a catharsis is cooler than dry, tasteless analysis or criticizing something! Because the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Because you can't see a forest behind the separate trees. Because you lose its soul, if you decompose the movie.

People says, that in the age of numerous movies being released per year and high prices for tickets, critical services are inevitable. No, that's wrong. First of all, not all tickets are expensive. Secondly, reading the critics you deprive yourself the fascinating moment of discovery, of intuitive choice what the movie you want to watch. I remember, how I just watched TF TV spot in far 2007 and said "Dad, we should go to the theater to this Movie!" And - boom! - I have become a fan! I've received a huge happiness in my life! You have the trailers, director's, actrors', composer's names, brief sinopsis. I really can't understand, why that's not enough to make a choice. But reading the reviews you make a bias in your head and your opinion will never be fresh.

It's interesting, how western society willingly refuses the right of people to have their own opinion. Pluralism of opinions and freedom of speech was the values of Western civilization for a long time. Movie critics convincing you to take their subjective opinion, using subjective and often flimsy arguments make you to refuse your own intuitive perception and mind's opinion, replace it with stereotypes. You are just become brainwashed. They rule your mind. They create a vogue, "standards", fences for art, slowly killing prominent directions in cinematography. How many painters, poets, scientists tragically died being unacknowledged? And how bitter it is to admit now that they were ingenious? There should not be any barriers in the culture except ethical norms and moral.

You say PROFESSIONAL critics. Do you know that most of them are just bloggers without actual education in journalism subject? Even journalists are just writers, expressing their thoughts. Why do you thing that their thoughts are the TRUTH? Because they are numerous? But, it's obvious, that the opinion of the majority is not necessary the truth. Also directors, actors and others have very good education. They are true professionals. They have tons of practice,but critics are just sitting in front of monitors and don't think what enormous efforts filmmakers take to produce the movie. And normal review, if it's really needed, is a deep analysis of all (as many as possible) the aspects film has. Critics should not only criticize. They should analyze. But no, they only blame and bash. All the reviews about TFs I've seen are concentrated on minor features, the ones which mostly don't distract me and don't spoil my perception of the Movie! Critics aren't analyzing even the core characters portrayal, the meaning of their actions, what actually the themes, film is telling about. They never think about TFs as characters at all. I know quite many people HERE who write about these fine aspects in very good understandable manner. Critics NEVER do this. But IT IS THEIR PROFESSIONAL DUTY. Why do you think that they are professionals? What did they do for you, so you consider them as authority? Why do you think that their opinion is truth? Why do you think that their opinion is OBJECTIVE, if there are no objective things in any type of art??? Because they sound convincing? Well that's just because you're lazy to think. You can be convinced in everything. You just became brainwashed. They stole your individuality, the ability to make independent decisions. Think about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017
  17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Look, criticism has been around since there was more than one person on Earth. Where there will be art, there will be art criticism so make peace with that. You don’t like ‘em, don’t listen to ‘em.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    So are films, from a certain point of view. I'd certainly rather see every cent spent on the TF movie put to better use.

But the thing is, neither you nor I have the authority to deem what's unecessary. Clearly critics serve a purpose if they only become more and more mainstream.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with critics on The Last Jedi.

Fandoms can be terrible places where going forward can be met with unnecessary scorn.

• Like Like x 4
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The scorn isn't unnecessary, just misplaced. Minus the nitpicks, the largest, most bitter complaints are a result of the previous film. They should be angry at JJ Abrams for leading them on with his mystery boxes and for painting Rian Johnson into a corner as far as his options on how to handle Luke. The Last Jedi merely exposes that JJ wasn't thinking ahead, but people wanna shoot the messenger.

As for critics, they're a good thing to have, mostly. But they're as susceptible to dogpiling as anyone else, and they don't always judge a work according to what the work was meant to accomplish. If a daytime TV critic said "hey, NBC Nightly News is a terrible soap opera" and proceeded to bash it for bad writing and pacing, we'd laugh.

• Like Like x 2