Why the hate towards Actionmasters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by slugslinger2004, Nov 3, 2006.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just wondering. I see alot of people love Mega SCF's and SCF/ Heroes of Cybertron, but actionmasters usually get the short end of the stick. I know the transformers that don't transform argument, but it doesn't hold up with this. Posability is superb when compared with most of G1 and HOC for that matter. New characters, transports/ vehicles for the bots, and lots of weapons. Plus the classic bots faces actually looked like their representations on the show.

I personally love actionmasters, mostly because I caught the late end of G1 (wasn't born until December of 85). The classic pretenders and actionmasters were my only ties to the beloved season 1 bots I had on video. So does the hate have more to do with most of the fandom growing out of toys by 90, or more to do with the non-transforming part?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I loved action masters.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    One reason I never liked them was that all were essentially the same, nobody's articulation was any better than the others and they all kept the same basic design. They all had different transforming helpers but none were really that inspired in design, they looked out of place to me. I got Soundwave as a kid cause Wing Thing reminded me of Ratbat, but that's all I ever got of the line.

Mega SCFs are alright since they have different features and attachments... Legends I actually only bought two and that was when Walgreens here was getting rid of them for $2 a pop. Actionmasters I will give credit for being good original representations of the cartoons though, and for keeping a lot of classic characters alive after vanishing for so long.

4. Alpha

Alpha I saved the internet.

I have never owned any but it would be cool to see them better represented in Classics.

5. Absurdicus

Absurdicus Ridiculous G2 Combiner

I love em too. FYI- now buying Action Masters. PM me with what ya got. Lets make a deal.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *Looks at Actionmaster Jazz*

Can't say I hate em. They're totally sweet.

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I pretty fond of the little bastards.

What really sucks though, is out of all my childhood Transformers the only one that I ever lost was European Exclusive Actionmaster Charger. I've still got his gun, partner and cardback, but I've never ever ever been able to replace the actual toy. And it makes me sad.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I don't care for them personally. The non-transforming issue is the biggest thing for me.... I guess I just have a problem with Transformers that don't transform (that's why I've resisted buying any of the maquettes, though I like some of them a lot).

But beyond that, I feel the Actionmasters are aesthetically unappealing. Their proportions are kind of wonky. A lot of them have big, over-sized heads, buckled knees, and very stiff postures. I know they can't be held to modern standards of toy design, but they feel only a bit less brick-like than their transforming counterparts. Although I'll admit that a few, like Soundwave, are pretty cool.

Having said all that, the upcoming Revoltech Optimus is going to make me break my "no non-transforming Transformers" rule. :) 

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Judging Actionmasters on their own merit, they're basically an attempt to turn Transformers into GI Joes. The problem there is that they're less posable than Joes. No waist or elbows, shoulders that only move up and down, their o-rings break even easier than the Joes do.

Having said that, however, I actually have nothing against the AMs. In fact, I actually like the new character Actionmasters just because they're new and have interesting designs. Rad and Treadshot especially look cool in my eyes. One day, I plan to own all 5 of the new character Decepticon AMs (not gonna dip into the Euro crowd though. Way too expensive for faulty Joes).

Also, your original argument is that people like SCF's but not Actionmasters. To be honest, I'm the opposite. I never saw any appeal behind SCF's. Couldn't really tell you why, they just dont do anything for me.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They don't transform. That's why I don't collect statues, PVCs of anything else like that either.

11. Alpha

Alpha I saved the internet.

That is what I'm looking for in Classics AMs!
    Super-posable TF figures! Does that sound cool or what!

12. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I like them as well.
    While I havent went out of my way to pick them up, I get them in the occasional figure lot, and as was said above, my only gripe was lack of poseability.
    But to have a few characters stand around on a shelf, or over top my monitor, and not wory about lost parts or breakage, they are perfect.
    Specially since a lot of them seem to have the 'feel' of the toon characters.
    As for me mega PVC's, I positively loved them.
    My only gripe is that they didnt make more of them.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i can understand some of u guys being against non transforming TFs, but i think theres a place for them. given the breadth of TF lore, its an opportunity to explore character pieces e.g. kt devy vs hot rod and arcee.

so while AMs may have been lame intially, there really is a place for that kinda stuff.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I like the look of Actionmasters, but have never been able to find any I want at a decent price. Megatron = £40 WTF?

A draw to them (HOC'S/Mega SCF) for me is that I can have a representation of the original character, that looks 100% like they did in the toon. You would be very hard pressed to find many that looked that close to their animated counterpart, except maybe the Casette Animals to name a few.

An example for statues however:
    I always, always, wanted a G1 Soundwave, as he was one of my Favourite Characters from G1, along with 'Space-Choo-Choo', Blitzwing, and Dirge.
    Looking at the toys, Soundwave looks closest, but still not 100% 'Space-Choo-Choo' is about the second closest, Blitzwing third, But Dirge doesnt really look much like his TV show self at all.

Dirge and Soundwave both got HOC incarnations, and Soundwave got a kickass mini-statue. Unfortunately Astrotrain and Blitzwing never got any love except for with reissues.

So I reckon that, the main reason people buy Action Masters, HOC's, SCF's, etc, Is so they can have a 90%-100% accurate figure on their shelf.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Except they weren't accurate. They were based on the last version of that character to be released. Ever wonder why AM Optimus has blue arms? It's because the Powermaster's cab robot does.

Although the AM Black Zarak, Double Punch, is a very welcome addition, and I like a few of the other all new guys as generic Transformers. Always good to have them stood there to make up numbers.

16. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Fair point on the wrong colours + stuff, but still, they are pretty accurate, some more than other, I mean, Megatron has more resemblance to the toon version than the actual toy, he's even the right colour, whitish-grey, not silver.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Limed for truth!

-Tony!

18. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I love em cause they're so underrated

19. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I just couldn't get into them..or any other tfs around that time.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I still remember getting my first action master, rollout. I had a hard time believing he couldnt transform. I kept trying to wad him up into different shapes. didnt work.

Did anyone else's action master prime's legs fall off unless he was sitting down? I eventually ended up swapping his upper legs for blaster's. looked a lot better, and he could finally stand.

Prowl had the opposite problem. his legs would fall off if he sat down. meaning it was impossible for him to ride his bike.