Why the hate for G1 Season 3?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prowl, May 7, 2008.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    going by memory i think the reason i was put off because of bad animation. me being a visually tuned kid that kinda thing bugged me.

2. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

The animation really killed it for me.

What I don't get, is why everyone hates Galvatron's voice. Megatron had the WORST voice.

Ever.

In the history of animation.

Especially his laugh.

It bloody killed me.

3. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Actually I think Megatron has one of the most memorable and classic voices for ANY Transformer show. Welker is the MAN.

4. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Welker played both Megatron and Galvatron in the TV series actually. Same voice. So if you like one you like the other. They sound identical. Almost.

Nimoy played Galvatron in the movie. Best Galvatron voice EVER!

Ok .. so now to hear my take on it. I LOVED TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE (1986). And not just the parts with Season 1-2 characters, but the whole group old and new. So of course I was stoked to see my new favorite characters continue their adventures in Season 3. Boy did they deliver. Season 3 kicked the crap out of all the other Series/Seasons of Transformers. Maybe for those who didn't like it DARK, hated it. But thats why I love it so much. The movie was dark so it continued the theme. Oh well to each his own I guess.

P.S. The animation was dark but rich. It was the best of the series.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And while there was differences in animation from episode to episode, titles like Call of the Primitives had some interesting animation and style, with a very jagged edged look at the characters, as did Dweller in the Depths, so while consistantly it didn't have good animation, some of the episodes (Return of Optimus) had the best Animation in the series.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I haven't seen season 3. Right now, I'm in the midst of watching season 2, now that I got the boxset to G1 -- the English/Chinese one, which my brother was kind enough to get me for my birthday last month.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Oh yeah, I noticed that a few years ago when I actually had the chance to watch the whole GIJOE movie (not scattered installments like when I was a kid), and by the animation alone, Duke is DEAD DEAD DEAD. Only the voice over at the end really says otherwise. Yeah, right... a "coma".

The sad thing about the decision to pull out of Duke's death at the last minute is the fact that I'm sure very few kids would actually have given a damn if they killed off Duke! They underestimated the appeal of one character (Prime) and overestimated the appeal of another (Duke who?). :) 

Not to mention they lost a chance to make a poignant commentary in GIJOE about the true cost of war. You can shoot up the place all you want, but sooner or later, someone's gonna come along and throw a giant rigid snake into your chest. :) 

SMOG

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    5. Unicron was created by a Munky

6. Dinobots treated as clowns.

7. Rodiumus Prime made some really BAD decisions, not inviting Junkions to Earth to repair fallen Autobots, building a wasteful Funeral Ark, not properly defending the Ark, whining all the time, etc.

I so identify with "Rude Awakening". :lol 

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I love season 3. I find it has a darker tone compared to the rest.

10. Pembroke

Pembroke Good Skyfire. Good boy!

While Welker did both voices Megs and Galvy sound totally different in the TV series. Megs has a unique voice while Galvy sounds like an evil Freddy Jones from Scooby-Doo.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, Scarlett did say he'd dropped into a coma when he lost consciousness, but it's true that if not for that line and the call from Doc at the end, he could easily be (indeed should be, judging by that puncture wound) quite, quite dead.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Even the line from Scarlett was probably changed at the last minute. "Dead" becomes "coma", and then we get a disembodied voice-over from Doc rushing in on the last 5 seconds of the movie. It's pretty obvious.

And of course you have to kill those characters relatively early in the movie so that by the end, it doesn't feel out of place to be cheering for victory. Give the kids time to forget, y'know? :) 

zmog

13. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

[Wreck Gar] And the answer is: "MOMMIIEEEEEE!! WAAAAHH!!!! THEY KILLED OPTIMIUS! THEY KILLED IRONHIDE & PROWL! WAAAAAH!!!"

Now we go for the grand prize in Double Jeapardy! [/Wreck Gar]

At least that's my experience on this topic from chatting about it on other message boards.

Seriously, I find the answer to this topic is just that some people are just way overly conservative and can't handle a developing unniverse with new characters. That and some actually do seem so traumatized by Optimus's death as children they still hold left overs from that. I can't believe it but it seems to be the case.

It's still to this day my favorite season because the story telling was so much better than the previous seasons. They actually starting using a grand overall story arc in that season where as prior to the movie it was mostly just self contained stuff. But in season 3 they remembered what happened in previous episodes and used that in future episodes. For example the entire origins of the Transformers with the Quintessons (This was then used to create The Return of Optimus Prime), Starscreams spirit, as well as Octane's treachury. I also love it because of the grand variety of the characters. We get to see MUCH MUCH more of the Combiners. I just love having all of the Guestalts and Metroplex/Trypticon to watch. That and a much bigger universe to travel and explore. I really enjoyed the depth of it all, especially learning about those origins.

Season 3 is my favorite but I enjoy the previous seasons nearly as much.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Oh I know but good point on the darkness factor of season 3.

15. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

I like the previous 2 seasons better because
    1)dinobots have more character, in s3 they turned into comic relieves, not enough action for them
    2)what happened to devastator? jetfire/omega?
    3)Hated the aliens
    4)some eps just didn't make sense
    5)rodimus wasn't a leader
    7)no s1 and s2 bots
    7)don't like junkions
    8)too many episodes in space, almost all.
    9)hated galvatron

What i liked in s3:
    1)probably some music
    2)the first 5 episodes
    3)ultra magnus and springer

16. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Regarding your comments about Cyclonus, you could say Ultra Magnus was like that too for the Autobots. Rodimus always relied on him for advice and council. The thing is Ultra Magnus tried to encourage Rodimus that he could figure it out for himself. But going back to Cyclonus and Ultra Magnus' roles on their respective sides, I think this is why "The Killing Jar" highlights the depth of writing in season 3. This is the ONLY episode you will see Cyclonus and Magnus work together and shows this dynamic the two have on their respective sides. Actually Cyclonus is alot like Beast War's Dinobot in this episode.

Perceptor, Blaster, Bumblebee and Soundwave are some of my favorite characters so the fact that I got to see plenty more of them is one of the contributing factors that made me like season 3 whole lot.

I saw The Burden Hardest to bear, directly followed by The Return of Optimus Prime as highlighting just how much Rodimus disliked being leader and all the responsibility it put on him. I think he always enjoyed just being Hot Rod and being young. Heck in Dark awakening he couldn't wait to give the Matrix back to Optimus and his first words after giving back the Matrix were, "Alright! Hot Rod is Back! Let's Partyyyy!!!" :D 

Totally agree. Forget talking about season 3, season 4 should have been more than 3 episodes. I was totally bummed when we got such a good story and then that was the end of it all. :(  Still am the same way alot are about OP dying in the movie.

I forgot to mention, one of the biggest things I love about season 3 is the music. So much better. Much like the movie's score. It really helped the darker plots in it.

I also have to agree with Kickback about the animation. When I think back about Season 3 and it's animation I think "good animation". The better episodes stand out for me. The bad animated ones I don't think I have seen much of in my life time, because like I said, my general impression I have about the look of season three (that I've had ever since being a kid) is "good".

17. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Season 3 I like very much? but hey that is me!

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Personally, I like season 3 a lot. It had better stories to me then season 1 & 2. The animation and wheelies voice did get on my nervers a little.

19. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Season 3 is really a mix of bad writing and animation and the opposite the last few episodes were pretty bad in the latter department imo.

20. Pembroke

Pembroke Good Skyfire. Good boy!

Ummm... last I checked, the Dinobots, Bumblebee, Perceptor, Cosmos, Blaster, and Soundwave were all S1 and S2 bots and they appear in S3.