Why the hate for G1 Season 3?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prowl, May 7, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always wondered about this. I see that disliking season 3 is a popular opinion, but I've been watching it recently, and aside from the absence of Optimus Prime, there is some decent storytelling in there (with the exception of Carnage in c-Minor).

Not only do we see Rodimus dealing with his inability to meet his own standards when comparing himself to Prime, but also some classi-ish episodes like Grimlock's new brain.

And while this one definitely doesnt bode well with a lot of people, I find the Quintesson past to be a very interesting take on the Transformer's History, a hellova lot better than the traditional god floating around creating life.

As a matter of fact, the parallels between the Transformers Season 3 History, and the movie The Matrix, are very interesting. Organic creatures create robots to do their bidding. The robots develop feelings, the Robots rebel against their masters and drive them away from their homes and the Organics rebel. It's like, in The Matrix, we are the Quintesons. And this was a back story developed for an 80's kid's TV show. Not bad if you ask me.

The cast was solid, with the sception of Wheelie (and I particularly loved Magnus' wise guidance of Rodimus and Springer's relationship with Arcee).

While I don't think it's the best season of G1, I don't think it was a bad one either.

So why is it hated so much?

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I loved it personally.

Loved the music, and sometimes the animation was top-notch (WebWorld, Grimlock's New Brain, Return of Optimus Prime, Burden Hardest to Bear, Fight or Flee, Ghost in the Machine, Dweller in the Depths, the Ultimate Weapon, Call of the Primitives).

I was more amazed that unlike Season 1 and 2, Season 3 actually FOLLOWED the storyline of the movie. That hooked me. I was like "omg I saw them in the movie!" and I watched more intently. The fact Prime died didn't matter to me as a kid ... I thought it was a great story-device.

I killed Optimus Prime daily in my room.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I think you'll find the reason a lot of people don't like it is because it's almost all about the new guys. After the movie, a lot of the earlier (and favourite) characters were killed off, and replaced with the likes of Rodimus and Wheelie. Not a popular move with a lot of people.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd attribute it to everyone being so butthurt about the loss of Optimus Prime.

However personally I lost interest after the movie because I didn't like any of the new characters. Watching Season 3 after buying it on DVD was a different story though....it gave me a new appreciation for the newcomers, and I think there are some great storylines. Rodimus Prime was a complete waste of potential IMO. The animation is also an issue. Some of the best G1 animation as well as the absolute worst G1 animation can be found in Season 3. I still can't stand Galvatron and the dumbed down Dinobots though lol.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The interesting thing about watching Dweller in the Depths was a very cool realization of "Wow, this is where the Beast Wars started". Experimentation with Technorganic, an old experiement that comes back to us centuries later with the Beast Wars.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Season 3 is my favourite ever. Most of the G1 episodes I enjoy the most are there. :D 

Big love to it for actually pulling off a semblence of a character arc for Rodimus. Small hate to it for having him accept his role like a man and then bring Optimus Prime back THE NEXT EPISODE, nullifying the purpose of the entire season.

Overall I've always found Galvatron and Rodimus a waaay more engaging pair of leaders for various reasons.

7. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Well, lets see here.
    1.Total cast change. The movie killed off nearly every previous character(the characters that everyone got to know and love), and the characters it didn't kill off played very minor rolls in the future.
    2. Maybe adding all the strange aliens had something to do with it, it certainly did for me. I hated all of that.
    3. The new designs were very different from the the previous ones.
    4. It was all around COMPLETELY different than the previous years(storywise and stuff like that), and you know how most TF fans cling to the past.
    5. THE BIG ONE. No OP.

No matter how good it was written; It took out WAY to many key elements of season's 1 & 2.

All of that isn't my personal opinion. Although, nothing about G1 ever appealed to me. Seasons 3 & 4 were just all around bad though.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought Season 3 was the best season of G1 easily

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I should clarify- Return of Optimus Prime bugs me for two major reasons:

-Nullifying the fact of Rodimus Prime manning up in Burden Hardest to Bear, one episode prior
    -Nullifying the epic and emotional impact of Dark Awakening, which should have been the heroic sendoff to prove that even as a zombie, Optimus Prime is a big damn hero.

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    here are the main problems for me
    1.i don't like rodimus(magnus was good though)
    2.all of the pre movie characters disappeared(some cameos but thats it)
    3.I HATE WHEELIE WITH A VENGEANCE
    4.galvatron is annoying even for a crazy robot

i did like the storyline on some of the episodes but most were bad.

they needed more octane episodes:D 

11. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Totally, dude.

12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked season 3 much more then 1 and 2..When I was younger I was so into the movie and Rodimus that my Optimus was forgotten quick. The story telling was much better with real cool shit like Ghost of Star Scream, Grimlocks new Brain even an apperance by Cobrsa Commander.. Classic season 3 was the best.

I like Galvatron way more then megatron as well.

13. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

I prefer the earlier ones as I prefer the eariler characters..

Plus I didn't really like the whole origin of the transformers and unicron thing.... preferred the whole warring god / matrix primus essence etc etc rather than they were simply built.. preferred the comic explaination of it..

14. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I preferred Prime and Megatron over Rodimus and Galvatron. And all the good characters from the first two seasons were gone; no more Jazz (though that was 'cause Scatman died), no more Ironhide, Wheeljack, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Insecticons, (though the latter few appeared as animation errors), no Brawn, no Ratchet, no Prowl, no Shockwave, and not much of Starscream. They killed off all the memorable characters and brought out a whole bunch of new ones to replace them, but I'd rather have had a mix of both.

15. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    No problems here. I personally loved season 3. I had no problem with Op being missing, although I was super excited when he returned.

To me Rodimus Prime was a more interesting character as a leader. He was flawed and I seemed to like that better than Op, who was the John Wayne perfect leader type. Same for Galvatron, he was bat-sh*t crazy and I liked him all the more for it.

Overall it was the characterizations of that season that made it good.

16. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I couldn't have put it better myself. I welcome the new blood, but it was too much of a drastic change. I can see how change was needed at the time seeing as how sales and viewership were taking a hit, but they went too far IMO.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As far as the story, characters and the majority of the episode writing goes, it was fantastic. What killed it for me was:

1. Quints.

2. Horrid animation that as the norm.

3. Every cartoon has it's stinkers, but season 3's STUNK. BAD.

4. Wheelie. Not kidding, the little shit was annoying with the voice and rhymes.

Though really, a lot of my favourite characters of G1 were around and kicking in season 3. Swindle, Astrotrain, Starscream (as a ghost but, hey) and a couple more.

18. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Season 3 honestly holds a special place with me since for most of my youth, that was mostly the only Transformers episodes I had on tape. Just now, when the Transformers season 1 and 2 came on dvd, did I start to like and enjoy Megatron and Optimus Prime. But for years, Rodimus and Galvatron were always the better and more interesting leaders. They were soo different from the normal good guy and bad guy leaders. Rodimus wasnt always perfect and didnt always know what to do but he did what he had to do to get the job done. Plus he had a flaw, living up the ultimate good guy archtype, Optimus Prime. Galvatron was just unpredictable and crazy. And with the power of Unicron behind him, he was the most dangerous Transformer ever. And I like the fact that the writers of Season 3 address these issues (Webworld and Burden Hardest To Bear) in episodes and tried to resolve them. The characters were great. Kup, Springer, Ultra Magnus, Wreck Gar, Cyclonus, Octane, all good characters. Kups old war stories, Springer playboy antics and Cyclonus actually being the leader behind the scenes. I wish that angle was played upon more. Galvatron was more like a figure head only because he was Megatron and that he could vaporize you without thought. We all know that Cyclonus was really holding the Decepticons together. My gripes about Season 3 are:

1) There should have been more connections to the previous seasons. Not just characters appearing even though you have, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Ramjet, Thrust, Dirge, Soundwave Warpath, Powerglide, Bumblebee, Seaspray, Blaster and Perceptor play recurring roles, especially Perceptor, Soundwave and Blaster. But when they got rid of the Ark, I think that was a serious blow to helping kids remind them yea, this is a new era in the show, but some of ya favorites are still here.

2) Bringing Optimus Prime back. Ok fine, you gave us this imperfect leader Rodimus all season and we finally see him get over the fact that he isnt Optimus but still a good leader and then BLAM!! Optimus comes back, and says thanks for keeping the Matrix warm for me. Optimus did seem out of place with the Season 3 cast. Not to mention, in his tensure, things were going back to how they were in Season 1 and 2, Galvatron had control of Cybertron in Rebirth and the Earth would have been destroyed without the help of Spike and the Nebulans. Atleast Rodimus had to keep not just Cybertron, but also Earth and to keep the Quintessons at bay. And he did with flair.

3) Should have had more episodes.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:

^^^truth.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The writing is great, but the character models got less interesting, the animation was sloppier, and the scale errors were worse than ever.