Why the Camo?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tampalicious, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Ongoing 7, the Megatron one, it kind of bothered me.
    First, the art ...... How does someone that can draw robotics like the Infiltration stuff suddenly start ..... that. I imagined his boss saying, just do it really fast.

2nd, It pissed me off seeing Dreadwind die, and Darkwing supposedly backstabbing him. I always thought they were tighter. But I guess, when you're hungry enough.......

The main complaint is all the CAMOFLOUGE garbage. What is this G2 ???
    This is when Transformers seemed to lose it for me, like back when Action Masters were out.

I just remember thinking: This Sucks....

I am hoping the art does not remain that way. Or I may have to be done. And that would be sad. Was 8 any good? This was the first time since the relaunch I said, Forget it, they will have it in my folder at the shop......

Do they still have the camo???

And is there actually robots, or is it the whole Spike thing?

Also, is it just me, or are the pages seeming less for what you pay for?

Like, its over hella fast.....

2. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

It was just Su trying a new style in homage to Mike Mignola was all. Problem is it doesn't work so well for Transformers.

3. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I used to love that guys artwork. Mignola. Did he do the Classic X-Men covers? Like the Brood issues I think. That dude was cool.

But yea.......I'm just sayin. I liked his Prowl spotlight. This whole issue bothered me though.

All that intensity with Roddy, Magnus......

I know they are showing the Cons, but .........

Idunno.

I need my socks to literally fly off my feet with some Roadimus going to Metroplex for the Magnificence or something.

SOMEthing cool needs to start happening.
    If I want human military, I have GI Joe.......ya know?

4. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    It's not supposed to be camo. It was probably drawn as a way to show some variance in their finishes, but evidently the colorist wasn't up to it.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I found it somewhat distracting.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Was thinking the same thing. Not sure it was intended to be inked/colored as heavy as it was.

7. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I don't know why we continue to discuss the art in the on-going Transformers series by IDW. We go from Don Figueroa's style of art to E.J. Su's style of art, and there is absolutely no consistency between the characters.

In one issue, Bumblebee is reformatted to a camaro, like his movie counterpart. The next issue, he's back to being a VW bug. In one issue, the seekers appear to be styled as E.J. Su had them back when he started with Transformers, and the next they're styled as their Masterpiece figures.

I hear what IDW is saying - "We allow the artists the freedom to draw them as they choose." But what IDW fails to see is that it comes across as editorial sloppiness, confusing casual readers and just annoying dedicated readers.

Pick a damn art style and stick with it. If not a style, then at least character appearances. After being force-fed the style by Figueroa (whom I respect, don't get me wrong, just didn't like the style he went with) and told to deal with it, we're then going in a completely different direction with the artwork and some of the most sloppy coloring I've seen in ages.

Just wish they'd either get behind the brand and give it all their love and support, rather than let it seemingly fall to the wayside with the idea of, "It's Transformers, it'll meet the quota no matter what we do with it".

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Please, Kickback, just forward this post to Chris Ryall.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

As long as their work looks good, I don't really care what kind of decisions the individual artists make about styling the robots. I think we're all sophisticated enough to understand that giving artists that freedom is tantamount to giving them respect, which frees them up to put their hearts into it.

As for the "cammo", at first it distracted me, and then I realized that it was intended to depict shading and lighting on metal. Certainly not the best work I've ever seen by that colorist.

10. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I see it as oxidation due to not having enough energon to maintain their armor.

11. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

As far as changing art styles, look at any other comic and it is pretty similar.

Amazing Spiderman for example has a new artist every story arc. I enjoy seeing different takes on how the Transformers look, as long as they don't get to the point where you can't even recognize the chracters.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Imagine if Spider-Man had a different costume every issue. That's the equivalent of what IDW is allowing to the Transformers.

13. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

^ I think you're analogy is a wee bit exaggerated.

But actually I'm just posting to say, yeah EJ, what the fuck? The 'camo effect' looks awful. Please stop.