Why the bot modes NEED to change from G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Jul 11, 2006.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I got to thinking today about the speculated movie bot modes vs. the G1 bot modes, and I realized a reason why they wouldn't use the old "blocky" robot modes in a real world setting.

Bumblebee is going to start out as an old, beat up Camaro which will be sold to "Spike". Now, in order for Bumblebee to be TRULY in disguise, Spike would have to be able to open the hood, look at the engine, go underneath the car, and actually believe that it was a car, maybe even work on it. Bumblebee couldn't have a robot head sticking out underneath, or some crazy kibble in the engine compartment.

In order for that very realistic car to be able to turn into a robot, he would have to transform at an almost microscopic level, meaning a transformation so complex that it's almost impossible to envision. Billions of parts would be shifting and milling about in order for him to transform into a robot mode that may not change much in appearance every time he gets formatted with a new alt mode. He would basically be made of alien nanobots.

Now, with that many parts moving everywhere, why would his robot mode resemble his car mode at all? Sure, they could be bits of car body here and there, but he's a robot, first and foremost. He's gonna have parts all over the place.

That always bugged me about G1 Bumblebee, his Cybertronian robot mode STILL looked like he turned into a VW bug, when he really had no right to.

In order for TFs to work in the psudo-real world, and have the ability to be reformatted into new alt modes (like Bumblebee may), the robots have to be super complicated, unlike G1.

Do you see what I'm trying to say here?

2. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Yes. Good post MegaMoonMan. Flip over an alternator and you see a big fat pair of forarms in the engine compartment and a head smiling down at you. And Prime's big fat blue legs don't look anything like the back part of a semi. I don't think we understand just how daunting a task making realistic live-action alt modes and selling the reformatting concept to general audiences really is. I don't think the lego blocks that were G1 would translate effectively into believable live-action robots. But I don't think the robots are going to be as spindly as some people fear; I don't think we've seen enough yet to make that call.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

There should have been different animation models for the robot modes on Cybertron, in G1. That would have cost more money, and they were probably afraid it would confuse the kids.

I really believe that the movie TFs are going to be almost skeletal, with bits of armor on them. Given the animatronic Bumblebee photos that got leaked, and the bot in the teaser. I'm seeing far too much open space. I have a very hard time taking such lightly built robots seriously. That's never going to hold up in combat. Put some freakin armor over it! I could never take the Evas in Evangelion seriously, either. I know those are supposed to be living being in armor, but they still look like they'd get knocked over by a stiff breeeze.

I don't have a problem if they want to change the robot mode asthetic, but endoskeletons in bits of poorly fitting armor isn't the way to go. It just makes them look fragile, and flimsy.

As for the transformation scheme: I don't care how well they've thought out where all the little bits and pieces go. It's still a cheat, to keep them from having to work out a real transformation scheme. It's just a fancy shellformer. It also looses the apeal of seeing the vehicle parts on the bot, and knowing that it can blend in with native vehicles.

4. Dio

Dio Scrapper

*cough cough* Holograms *cough cough*

:D 

Just like how the police logo on Brawl has a Decepticon insignia worked into it, and the tagline "Punish and Enslave" is written on his rear quarterpanel... I think these TFs will enjoy a certain amount of sleight-of-hand when it comes to disguising themselves, which will mean slightly more basic (i.e. toy-compatible) physical attributes, with a bit of visual trickery to complete the facade.

5. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I dunno, the teaser bot looked pretty G1ish and bulky to me...*shrugs*
    [​IMG]

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    We're comparing the movie to G1 again? I thought that was a big no-no now(IT NOT G1!!!!eleveneleven~! etc)

For the toys sake, let's return to this
    [​IMG]

Super articulated while realistic looking in disguise. They also look the most like aliens as opposed to something man could've built.

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I think the best way to look forward to this movie is the fact that they are ALIENS! You are not supposed to understand how they transform!

Think of it this way...this movie COULD be like Aliens...LOTS of action...doom impending, and you have absolutely no idea what the robot aliens are going to do!

I would love to have this film FEEL like the first Alien movie...You don't understand the aliens, lots of people get killed, and at the end the aliens get pushed out for some reason...only to return for....... WAR!

8. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Part of what I love about TFs, specifically G1 and definitely the Alternators, is how the alt-mode parts become armor for the robot mode. The Alts also do a good job of hiding blocky "alien looking" limbs inside realistic curvy vehicles. Any Joe Shmoe looking under the hood for 5 seconds would be fooled...most mechanics would be confused. That's exactly how Sparkplug was with Bumblebee in the 2nd G1 comic back in 1984...he was confused by an "ordinary looking" VW Beetle's unconventional mechanics.

The unspoken fact of having "robots in disguise" is that there must be a compromise...battle-readyness vs. stealth and utility. Now, maybe movie Bumblebee is still a spy (like G1), so having an accurate alt-mode is more important than having armor...hence he has limbs that could be busted apart by wedging in a crowbar. But Prime as Leader and warrior should be fully armored. Since boxy armor is probably the easiest to repair, I see this as a major reason to maintain the "G1 Boxy Asthetic." Sure, Prime's Alt Mode's sleeper section may be filled by armored parts (and his head), but unless some human jumps behind the seats for a nap, nobody is going to notice the sleeper is "fake."

I'm just hopeing that Bumblebee's Alt-Mode parts from the leaked pic are actually from his Cybertronian form...(yeah, I know the paintjob suggests that he's the new Camaro by that point in the film). I don't wanna see superfolding bodypanels just because it trivializes the Transformation process primarily used for the past 22 years...the Alt mode parts shift location BUT NOT SHAPE to become robot armor.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

That's exactly what I'm afraid they're going to look like. the RID toys never did anything for me.

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I don't understand how everyone's saying that Bumblebee's transformation is cheating. When I first saw him I couldn't understand for the life of me how it transformed, but now that I've thought about, it actually makes a lot of sense.

The main part of the hood is definately on the chest, along with parts of the front of the car (the breast guards), while front of the hood shift into the things on the shoulders. The giant things on his arms are definately the front of the car (you can recognize the typical Camaro intakes), and it's probably safe to assume the fingers either curl up against it, or covered by the engine along with the head. The front wheels are probably tucked into the chest (the discs that connect the arms to the torso seem to be the bases for the wheels), while the back wheels are on his hips. It's hard to say what those things on his back are though, maybe parts of the doors? Due to the angle of the pic we couldn't see the rest of the car parts, but I think it's safe to assume that the middle of the car becomes the waist and upper legs, while the back of the car becomes the lower legs.

And then there's the whole 'missing parts' thing, so it could be a lot more armored then we suspect. The whole 'tubes' thing is definately a common feature though, if we can believe that Save Ferris guy. But it might be less obvious with Prime, who has a lot more car parts to bulk him up.

11. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

I would't be too pushed about them being like the G1 robots. I'd actually like to see them going in a bit of a different direction, just to seperate this continuity from the other TF continuities. The only thing I would want from this (and its been the case for every cartoon/comic book depiction through the whole TF history) is that if you have a robot that transforms into a car/plane/whatever, when you get the toy of the character it does the same thing. If the movie makers are desiging the robots with that in mind, then I'm not too worried.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I'm guessing they will look something like RID as well, but more complicated, intricate.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

And hopefully with fewer giant car parts dangling way the hell off of them instead of merely augmenting the robot.

14. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's part of why I have a problem with the junker Bumblebee plot. Someone must have worked on him if he is in a sale lot. Why expose that loophole?

Alternators show how well it can be done. Only someone looking under the hood, or the car would notice something is "different," but I can't imagine many transformers being in the scenario long enough for that to be exposed.

I think the movie toys are going to suffer because of this overanalysed transformation.