Why Tantrum and Headstrong do not have predator animal form?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by galvatron1976, Jul 22, 2011.

1. galvatron1976

galvatron1976 Well-Known Member

Hello,I have a question to ask ,since G1 Predacons are based on predator meat eating carnivors animal form , why Tantrum transform into a bull and and Headstrong into rhino mode,they are based
    On plant eating animal model which are Herbivore animal?

Why not they have carnivore animal mode like Komodo Dragon,wolf,crocodile ,hyeya etc?do you think it better and live up it name

Thanks.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Can't say that I've ever thought of this before, but if there's nothing relevant in their bios (such as those dudes being more passive or whatever), I wouldn't look too far into it. I mean if anything, the designers probably just wanted to go with a group of strong animals that fit the visual bill more than anything, and didn't consider it important that a couple of them weren't based on meat eaters. This is just my speculation, so maybe there's a cool story behind this or something.

Also, why can't plants or the Autobots be the prey?

3. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it more has to do with the creative process.

Those characters (The whole team for that matter) was going to be the Anibots, a cancelled concept used for TF:TM 1986. No doubt the concept then went through it's changes and ended up the Predacons in the end (Originally it was Clump the rhino and Thump the Buffalo).

Either that or they just wanted to alt mode that can really mess stuff up

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Predators or not, Rhinos WILL ruin your shit.

5. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Both them and bulls can get real ugly, real quick.

6. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

To add to a previous statement....

They were designed, originally, to be the Anibots - a group of Autobots in a zoo of sorts at Autobot city in an early draft of the 86 movie. They actually had character designs done and toys in the works when the script changed and the Anibots were out.

They were re-branded as Decepticons, dubbed the Predacons, and released following the movie as they toys were already far enough along that they didn't want to scrap them.

That said.....

Both bulls and rhinos are well-known for being extremely viscious, despite the fact that they are herbivores. Both will attack humans for something to do and with little provocation necessary. Frankly, they are pretty good choices for Predacons from where I sit. In addition, as opponents to the Dinobots, it makes sense that two of the Predacons would be designed to take on Slag and Snarl.

7. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Im quite sure of this....and ive seen some videos of guys being gored....and I know someone who got gored, so I know they will, as so eloquently put "ruin your shit"

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    That and being the last one in line during the Running of the Bulls can turn out to be a real bad day.

Besides, the team names are pretty general. I mean, the Combaticons have a Space Shuttle.

9. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I love the brute force that comes with these characters, the heavy hitters so to speak. I've always though of a rhino as being incredibly stubborn too, fitting to a Decepticon character

10. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    If you have ever been to a Rodeo you would most definitely understand about a bull,I once seen a bull attack a rodeo clown and threw him about 10 or 15 feet in the air,if that ain't a predator I don't know what is,bulls generally hate those clowns.as for headstrong I have seen quite a few nature shows and those boogers are real mean to say the least.also a little known fact that if your in the jungle and have a campfire going and a rhino sees it it will come stomp on it till that fire is out,kinda like a forest fire mascot.

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I never really considered Predacons having to be carnivore predators. Just that they're vicious animals with great offensive capabilities.

12. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

horns man, HORNS

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They are the horns section. Does that make rampage and razorclaw the brass section?

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Y'know... that ALWAYS bugged me as a kid. Now, as an adult, I realize that the toys were probably designed well before the final concept of "Predacon" was slapped on them... as has now been confirmed by earlier posters. I'd heard about the Anibots before, but didn't realize that we had so much detail... Clump and Thump, eh?

Thematically, it's still a bit of a gaff. Even if bulls and rhinos are famously aggressive, dangerous animals... they aren't "predators". But who knows... what do Decepticons know about Earth-animal behaviour?

Also, what do the Predacons have to do with hunting anyway? Have you ever read their Tech Spec bios? Only Razorclaw and Divebomb could be considered to have a predatory instinct, and are probably the only ones who contribute these traits to Predaking's psyche.

Headstrong, Tantrum and Rampage are all quite literally, dumb, noisy, destructive brutes with no hint of a hunter's stealth or patience. I wouldn't say the bio work on the Predacons is the best... considering 3 of the characters have pretty redundant personalities.

zmog

15. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

Predaking vs Abominus would had been a fun match to watch as they were both decipticon animals combiners.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A space shuttle isn't quite irrelevant to the military - it can be used to launch military satellites.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

True... but that's still stretching it pretty far. Blast Off's inclusion in the Combaticon team aesthetic is still not exactly an intuitive choice.

I imagine a big part of it is that they had already designed 4 separate fighter jet Scramble-City combiners for the Aerialbot team, so they didn't want to repeat themselves unnecessarily by having another fighter jet in the Combaticons.

zmog

18. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    their forms are some of the dealiest animal alt forms you can have...water buffalo and rhinos are feared by lions and all other cat predators that live near them...jaguars, tigers, etc.

nothing fucks with those animals unless they are terribly stupid or hungry....so i think that those forms fit the predacons just right...besides five cats would have looks stupid...and they did not go with a bear, wolf or puma so they probably went with the next deadliest forms that invoke strength and fear..

i can understand them not using the same alt forms for all five...they did not want transformer ninja turtles after all.

19. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    They should have went with a hippo..............they're really aggressive!

20. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

ive wondered this a few times and basically dismiss the name as only having a passing reference to their animal alts. the transformers were the predators, they chose alts to further this. as a group, with or without animal forms they hunt and kill, so they were named for this aspect, then they went to earth and picked out the most dangerous animals that suited their skill set rather than be slavish to the title. so they are all predators by personality rather than by form.