Why such little articulation in megazords ?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Vincymon, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

Like many of you I am a huge fan of the concept of transforming robots.

So naturally, in addition to tranformers, I also watched gundam and power rangers as a kid.

However even as a kid I always found it frustrating how little articulation megazords had.

I mean seriously, each peice has a one step transformation, yet somehow Bandai just refuses to give the megazord mode, more than 360 shoulder articulation.

I just don't get it. Megazords are designed infinitely simpler than any transformer, or transformer combiner.
    So, why are the megazords repeatedly unarticulated !

2. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Yeah I always wondered that myself.. I'd love to see a super poseable masterpiece-esque Dino Megazord :D 

Oh btw Power Rangers toys are done by Bandai, not Hasbro.

3. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    if you want articulation get the candy toy versions there smaller model kits but have lots of articulation. but from what ive heard the reasoning is so kids can play with them easier....

4. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

play easier ?
    A kid with a wild imagination like I had would be bored of them in like 2 minutes.

In fact after two megazords, I said what the hey, I'd be better off building them from lego.

So i started building my megazords with lego until I was 13. I wish I could show you guys some, but they were all built from the same lego set...
    which is locked in my basement.

5. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    If there were lots of hinges and stuff for articulation the Megazord would likely fall apart. And yes its Bandai not Hasbro that makes Power Rangers toy. But in recent times Megazords/Sentai mech are getting REALLY complicated with 10+ pieces to attach together. Articulating that in that scale would be a disaster.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's hard to do a combining robot with a lot of articulation. There are two main reasons for this: stability in the combined mode and the limitations of the combining components.

A combing robot, be it a Megazord or a TF combiner like Devastator, needs to be able to hold together. Kids don't like to spend a lot of time playing with toys that have pieces falling off every time you move something on it. To make sure that this doesn't happen a combined toy has to make some sacrifices in its basic engineering. This doesn't necessarily limit the articulation, but it is easier to make something hold together if it isn't overly complex.

What really hinders the articulation is the fact that a combined robot is made up of other components, all of which have to transform into at least one other mode (or more in the case of Transformer combiners and some Megazords). Sure, it would be cool if the new verison of the MMPR Megazord had shoulder, elbow, wrist, waist, head, hip, knee, and ankle joints, but you'd have to find a way to build all of those joints into the individual Zords. That would result in smaller toys that have some really weird design elements or more visible panel lines than Universe Ironhide. It's far easier to create simpler Zords (or Transformers) that look good when separated, but transform into limbs with limited poseability.

7. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Microman Robotman Dean is built similar i design to Megazords (four limbs one body) and it is pretty well articulated. Unfortunately he is very top heavy and lots of stuff just loves to fall off. This is probably why Megazords have so little articulation.

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it has to do with the stability of the individual modes. Added articulation is a luxury and not a must-have. I know that a lot of times, the more articulation you put on a toy, the floppier they will be in the long run. Granted, I believe super-articulation isn't needed, but standard articulation is. I think the fact that the new Dino Megazord should have had some type of joint in his arms. Sword poses are now basically impossible, which makes action poses with the megazord all but impossible.

The other thing I think comes into play is the budget factor. If you notice, almost all megazords pre-Operation Overdrive were awesome. I found the megazords to be made with a higher grade of plastic, along with decent articulation. I believe this is because Bandai was selling enough Power Ranger stuff to warrant the better megazords. When Power Rangers started to struggle, they cut back on both the articulation and quality of megazords, and on the role-play weapons. I think if the Power Ranger line had done strong up through RPM, we might see the DX class of megazord, at the $40 price-point.

But when the demand for PR went down, so did the quality and distribution of they toys. On the bright side, though, if we do see a new Dragonzord, it won't need a lot of articulation anyways.

9. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    The DX Drive Max and co was unfortunate but it was still at the 40 range wasnt it so I cant say it was because of them cutting back. It was also BIGGER than the japanese toy but a lot worse (you had to buy 3 sets of Megazords to make a good ultrazord even though it could've been done with only two sets. Bad planning. The failure of the line might be what caused RPM to get downsized toys.

10. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    ....Unfortunately I don't see Bandai (of America) releasing a Super-Articulate Megazord.

11. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    For those looking for Super articulated Megazords should look at the japanese candy toy line (called minipla). The only problem is you'll need to eiyther apply tickers or paint a lot of the details yourself. But they keep ALL of the functionality of the bigger toys just you'll have to build them yourself. Pretty cool but I think the line just started during Abarangers so you wont be finding a well articulated Dino Megazord (though I think there was a candy toy Daijyujin just not that great).

12. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not this late in the game.

13. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    SO, which combining DX megazord out there has the most articulation then?

14. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    Daibouken. but he can be a little pricey to get. but he has knees, hips, shoulders and somewhat of an elbow joint

and do not buy the Drivemax Megazord version the plastic quality and overall quality is shit

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    "stability" only works in some cases, like the most recent ones that just pile on components.

looking at the new Dino Megazord, there's absolutely no reason that thing should be the brick it is.

They could have easily given it elbows, knees, and articulated skirt armor to let the legs move forward, and given it neck articulation.

• the skirt armor would have been easiest, just make the "leg/cannon mount" piece it's own separate part with a long bar between the two gray pieces that snaps into the main body. one more piece of plastic. thats all it would have taken.
    • neck again, easy. I shouldnt have to explain this one.
    • elbows could have been a hinge, that was completely hidden from the front.
    • knees would have required the post that the legs go on be it's own part, that the upper leg and lower leg attach to. the only change we would have seen would be two lines on each side of the post-piece, where it's attached to the legs. and it could/should be a ratcheting joint.

we know everything that goes on this thing. none of these joints would cause problems later on. and they'd barely be visible, and wouldnt take anything away from the look of the toy.

bandai of america just likes to go cheap in recent years. I know why, we all do. they want to keep the toys affordable, compared to what it would cost to keep selling the japanese toys. but the addition of joints to it like mentioned above would maybe push it from 20 to 25. and that wouldnt be a dealbreaker for anyone.

they fixed the proportions, which is great. a lot of people want one of the new megazords because of that alone. if they fixed the articulation too, well, you'd probably get a lot of people like me, who always liked the design of the thing but wont buy it because it's a cheap looking brick to go out and buy it.

but it's stupid to dream like that, after they failed to put wheels on the triceratops, and instead just settled for little bumps, which are painted, so the paint will scrape off. adding four wheels would not have changed the price one bit. Bandai of America is just in this to get as much profit for as little effort as possible.

yes, I'm not a power rangers fan, but I'm a fan of mecha, and the franchise has some cool mecha, so I have always followed it, looking for something so amazing that I would have to embarass myself by putting a power rangers product in my home. I was hoping the new Dino Megazord would be it.

16. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

I haven't seen an actual Megazord for sale in a retail store since Dino Thunder. I may not be living the big city life, but I'm not exactly in the middle of nowhere either. As long as there is next to no push to sell the figures, then there will be absolutely no push to make them any better quality-wise.

17. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    theres a lot to be said about a lack of articulation, i seem to spend way more time messing around with PR megazords than rotf toys. The simple chunky parts and satisfying clicks and hinges plus the fact you can make and break a go onger g12 in a couple of minutes, makes them collect a lot less dust. weirdly i seem to prefer the toys without articulation, unless that are an honest to goodness action figure. I just cant get enough of bricks, i paid an rather large combined ship and item price for that colossal breezeblock mogydaioh, but i love it.

perhaps bandai prefer to make a simpler toy which should mean they are easier to enginer/produce and have less QC issues, i certainly find japanese megazords to be flawless, ive never had a single sigificant QC issue (looseness, ill fitting parts etc) like those present in several tf toys ive had this year.

18. kissmekillme

kissmekillme Well-Known Member

Really, the simplest answer is because they sell.

Same reason Star Wars figures aren't articulated like G.I. Joes, even though they could be.

People still buy them, articulation or not. So why bother adding it?

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/ueken1/sub9.html
    They've had them since at least Turboranger. The most you could expect is the same articulation as the DX versions, though. The added articulation didn't really start until Magiranger.

20. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Right but most of those older ones dont transform exactly like the bigger versions. Thats why I didnt include them. I would love to get that meki/Chrome version of Gorai Senpuujin though. It looks awesome.