Why so much hate for the haters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Starscream NZ, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now, before you start flaming me, i'm going to flat out admit that I DO like film franchise. Sure it's not perfect but the 2007 movie was damned entertaining.

However, I have to admit I was not amazed by Revenge of the Fallen. And I disappointed to see that anyone here who says the slightest unfavorable comment about it gets flamed and bashed. Also, the unjustified hatred towards crictis is appalling.

Yes, critics can be assholes. But at the end of the day, Revenge of the Fallen is a very flawed movie. The plot is left for dead 2/3 of the way through the film. Some of the jokes are totally inappropriate/unwarranted. Characterization was left at the bottom of the ocean like Megatron. To be fair, the critics made valid points 85% of the time. I don't think that they should be given so much abuse.

From my point of view - Revenge of the Fallen had some high points, and some very low points. Arcee and Sideswipe were totally wasted characters. Jetfire, while amusing, did little and died pretty much straight away. I'll admit that I did like the Twins but i'd have happily stuck them on the backburner for more Arcee/Sideswipe/Ironhide/Ratchet.

The constructicons were a disaster - no one knew which are real, which are possible clones, what was the point in Devastator etc.

The Matrix of Leadership had *nothing* to do with leadership - just used to power the Sun Harvester

Wheelie disappears inexplicably shortly before seeing the Twins take on Dev, who we then never see again either...

My point is, there are some very big flaws in this film, you cannot use the 'it's a summer blockbuster so it doesn't matter' as justifiable for such issues. So why is it whenever someone says 'ROTF doesn't please me, as a movie' - they get their head ripped off? Surely people can realise that there's many reasons to dislike this film.

Final note: ROTF Jetfire is personally, my favourite incarnation of the character.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Except, of course, that he had more screentime than most other Transformers have had (counting both movies, in fact).

And he pretty much spelled out what was going on with the plot.

And he personally killed 2 Decepticons.

And he sacrificed himself to allow Optimus to defeat The Fallen.

3. Vengeance1701

Vengeance1701 Well-Known Member

It's a strange new era this summer.

Critics of both RotF and Star Trek are being lashed out at with anger and virulence.

4. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

I have to say that I don't like the films, but I have never felt flamed, attacked or that I have had my head bitten off. At least not yet.
    I know many are content with a mindless BANG & CLANG blockbuster, but like you say, many others also expect more.
    That shouldn't be grounds for getting a hammering from the movies' fans.
    My reasons for being dissatisfied with the first film lie in the cinematography, characterisation, story and the overt silliness.
    Its just not a good movie in my eyes and from what I hear ROTF is more of the same. Still, I'd love to be proven wrong.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    People need to stop feeling antagonized when others don't share the same thoughts as them on matters of personal taste. You like a movie someone else doesn't or vice versa, who cares, it doesn't matter in the least. There's no right/wrong here. You like it or not, that's all.

6. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I don't mind people who dislike the movie, its their choice so I'm fine with it.

But what I truly hate, are people who dislike the movie, consider their preferences the ultimate gold standard, and expect everyone else to share their opinion. If someone likes the movie, these holier-than-thou bunch will automatically consider them brainless turds with no taste.

Those are the kind of people I hate with a vengeance. As long as one maintains his opinion to himself, and doesn't try to dictate how others should feel about something, then I'm fine with it.

I have my own preferences, other people have their own. No one is right, and no one is wrong. Hence, I do not take too kindly when people tell me I'm wrong for liking something, and the only 'right' way is to hate it like they do.

7. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bonecrusher hates haters :( 

8. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    people who like the film are allowed to be dissappointed in the sequel and still like the movies in general

9. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Here, here. My thoughts exactly. Its an opinion.
    An opinion is a belief that may or may not be backed up with evidence, but which cannot be proved or disproved with that evidence. It is normally a subjective statement and may be the result of an emotion or an interpretation of facts; people may draw opposing opinions from the same facts.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Positive atmosphere > negative atmosphere

Now that's not to say that people should be afraid to voice their opinion (be it positive or negative), but people are likely to be warmer to a positive look at things than a negative one.

There are trolls on both side, yes. You have people that have some personal vendetta against the movie, the people that made it, everything it stands for, etc. And these people voice their opinion in a very destructive way, and it just creates a negative presence on the board that really doesn't do any good. Now that's not to say everyone that dislikes the movie is like that, not at all, there are people with reasonable complaints that give their opinion in a reasonable, and appropriate manner. Unfortunately, there are people that do like the movie that sees anything negative about the movie as some kind of attack against them, and so they will lash out at anyone that didn't like the film, and that's definitely not cool.

If you dislike something and post on a message board dedicated to that something to say as such, you can expect to be met with some resistance. Now if you present your opinion in a respectful manner (which admit it, a lot of the people posting against the movie don't), you may still get some from the diehards, but most people will accept your opinion for what it is, maybe even agree with some of your points, and that's that. It just comes down to, people would rather post on and read a forum that has a positive attitude about things, especially if its something they personally enjoy. Negativity just puts people in a bad mood.

11. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

some very good replies here, good points made.

From what I've seen this week it's pretty simple, and sad and stupid at the same time.

Some people have said, "This movie is shit, if you like the movie you're retarded." **paraphrased**

Some people have said, "This movie is shit, if you like the movie you're a Bayformer." **paraphrased**

Some people have said, "This movie is shit, if you like the movie you're a brownshirt." **paraphrased**

Some people have said, "If you don't like the movie you're a Geewunner!" **paraphrased**

Some people have said, "If you don't like the movie you're a Snob!" **paraphrased**

Some people have said, "If you don't like the movie you're Old and stuck in the past!" **paraphrased**

Pretty obvious huh? People don't like being called names. Makes them lash out, act mean and miserable.

And the sad stupid part of this whole scene lately, is all you people know damn well if we all got together and hung out somewhere we'd have a kickass time, sit back drink some beer, eat some Bbq and talk mad shit about how awesome Transformers are. We'd talk about our favorite toys, favorite moments, which series we liked and which ones we didn't. And we'd all have a good time and nobody would be acting like a big mouthed, tough guy asshole. It would be fun, good times.

This fandom is the best, it can also be the crankiest. Lets all try and get along online as well as we would face to face. ((*Except for that Malikon guy, that asshole really pisses me off!!!*))

12. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad that so far all the responses have been positive, as I did say, I DID enjoy ROTF - but I also left disappointed. (I had higher expectations than I should've set myself).

I'll concede that Jetfire did do the things pointed out above - but he was introduced late into the film and died shortly after. As for his killing of Mixmaster/Scorponok - they weren't very 'glorious' which was disappointing. Mixy getting sliced inhalf was a bit anti-climatic (but then again, Mixmaster in general was disappointing) though I did enjoy Scorponok going squish.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I love the first one, but I hate the second one..

it's funny how the first time around some people accused me of being an idiot for loving it, and now the second time some people are calling me a geewunner or a hater. :) 

Luckily it's not that bad for me on this forum right now..yet.

I don't really care if somebody likes or hates the movies though, as long as there's valid reasons and not hating for the sake of hating. :) 

14. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

^ This. On another forum I'm on (non-TF related) someone has actually posted something to the effect of "I'm glad to see that people have posted that they hate it as much as I do."

I mean, seriously? Your hatred of a MOVIE requires that much validation that you want people to join in your little revolution, Spartacus-style?

"I hate RotF!" "No, I hate RotF!" "No, I'M Brian!", and so on...

I've already been told I have no taste in movies because I like RotF, and that pees me off no end. I watch all different kinds of movie, why should liking this make me any less of a person? I mean, seriously.

I couldn't care less if people apart from myself like the damn film or not. However, I do take exception to people telling me to 'avoid' this movie, because they personally don't like it. Seriously folks, your opinion just isn't that important that you should be telling people to either go or not go to ANY movie. Just tell people whether you liked it or not, and then let people make up their own minds from there.

15. aeligature

aeligature aka zynordar TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't get why people would hate on the hate on the haters.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Because they are not true fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111
    :mad 

17. Vengeance1701

It's okay to be critical AND a fan!

Really! I am:) 

Malikon...cheers to that!

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

^This. Mystery solved. Case closed.

Tell me you didn't enjoy the movie, and even give a bunch of reasons I don't agree with, and I'll tell you that's a pity and I'm sorry you didn't get the same fun out of it that I did. I might tell you why I did enjoy it. Tell me the movie was worthless and nobody--let alone a fan--should put up with it? Well then we might need to have some words. It's common sense for anyone who isn't totally self-absorbed and doesn't worship their own opinions.

19. Vengeance1701

But that's what the Internet empowers people to believe. That since nobody's there to give them a bloody good smack or the evil eye for being insufferably over-the-top...they can get away with it.

I'm probably guilty of it on occasion. I try not to be. There's been plenty of times I've wanted to say... 'are you fucking serious, man, get a life!' but have restrained myself because...it's not worth getting worked up over.

Not much is, really.

20. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

just now watching the local news on TV they reviewed RotF. 2 Hosts one male one female, (Jeremy Hubbard
    Venita Miear (*may have spelled that wrong) the male reviewed the movie and at the end said:

"I give it 2 Kernels, a little too long and a little too vulgar" The female immediately said,
    "I think you're the only one who thinks that."

That was awesome, he was rebuked on tv by his anchorwoman.

(just sharing, thought it was funny)