Why so many Generations next year?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hollywood Hoist, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any theories at why Hasbro is making a push with Generations? Prime should still be on the air so why wouldn't that continue to be the focus?

Is it a continuation of FOC figures, finally bringing us dinobots and what not.

Do they plan some sort of direct to video project focusing on a new continuity.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I wonder if the Generations line just sold well; better than we thought. The Generations line always has been somewhat concurrent with a mainline, hasn't it? I don't mind the number of Generations slots, but I hope it continues the trend of running along side a mainline such as Prime and not stealing the thunder.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe it's a combination of that Hasbro's planning to do more FOC toys or that the Generations toy line is doing well that they decide to up the number of toys being released under the Generations banner?

4. Nemesis Maximus

Nemesis Maximus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My theory is that the answer lies in the title: 'Generations' means they can release figures representing characters from many different lines. This would include not only the G1 universes, but RID/Car Robots (plenty of easy repaint molds will be available by then), Armada (which willl have an anniversary approaching) and the movie lines (a chance to release unreleased molds, that they don't want to release now so they can push only a couple of lines to retailers). Hopefully we will also see unreleased molds like Scout Rumble and Frenzy too.

Just a theory, but maybe some solace to the weeping movie figures fans (i dont care about those lines myself)? After all, if I were Hasbro, I wouldnt want to be pushing more lines than i could properly get behind onto the shelves: Prime and FOC generations this year, a more pan-Generational approach under one banner next year....

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    My guess is they've added another size class, hopefully voyager :) 

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It means that Prime's days are numbered. :ev: 

7. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    I could see it being something like 28 Deluxes and 12 Voyagers or something to that effect. But definitely more than just G1.

8. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Maybe Generations has sold better than expected? Sure it wasn't ordered as much as the movie figures, but maybe the sell through percentage is quite good.

9. HopelessHavoc

HopelessHavoc Junior Spaceman

"Why so many Generations next year?"

Why Not? :lol 

10. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'd prefer Scout, just so that they can get Rumble and Frenzy out in the US.

Alternatively, a Voyager-sized exclusive three-pack with Rumble, Frenzy, and Buzzsaw (Booster X10 redeco).

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I think there are a few reasons.

-Obviously Generations sell well. We knwo this because Classics (which is Generations) was a trail line with 8 releases. IF The line sold well we would get more. Looking at my Classics shelf now I think it sold very well. So for this reason Hasbro is investing in one of their money makers.

- FOC, I think a lot of this over 40 figures mentioned will be from FOC. Hasbro did not get behind WfC because it was an unknown. And we all know TF games generally "suck" and WfC what like the break through TF game that was actually amazing. They see a part two to a very popular game so they are supporting it fully with a large line release.

-An attack on 3rd party (this is just my personal thought) 3rd parties make money selling G1 Classic styled figures that fill the holes Hasbro leaves. If Hasbro fills all the holes then they leave 3rd party groups without figures to produce. If you can't stop them legally you stop them by taking away what sells.

12. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

2014 is the 30th anniversary, wonder if it has something to do with that?

13. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the majority of all the new Generations figures were FoC stuff.

Yeah, there like 3x more toys for FoC than there were for WfC but the game is a sequel and the WfC must have sold decently.

I am missing something, because I haven't heard of anything being released in Generations that is outside fo the FoC stuff.

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

@ Hollywood Hoist. Are all those Bumblebees in your sig different? I'm counting 25. Slag it, that could have been a whole series of new characters.

On topic:

I'd love to see some of what you guys are saying come true. A cross generation line and the return of Scouts. I'd love Scout versions of Armada Sideswipe, Energon Prowl and Movie Bumblebee. It's teh only size class I wanted him in and the only size class he wasn't available.

15. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    My guess? Because the generations toys sold a thousand times better than the DotM toys.

I don't get what Hasbro is doing with the Prime show toys. This show is going into a second season with the first real push of toys arriving now. Makes zero sense. Why they aren't marketing it like MLP makes no sense unless you take into account the movie. I think the movies are what's screwing up everything, tbh. So another stab at the added generations question would be that without a movie for 2012-13 they need to fill the shelves. Makes it a good time to be a fan.

16. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Unless those two are shipped in the same case, distribution is always going to be uneven.

Make it a two pack. If that means store exclusive, so be it.

Spread. Over. Four. Years.

But why let facts get in the way of a good whinge.

17. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The answer will depend entirely on what the new Generations line actually carries.

18. Nemesis Maximus

Nemesis Maximus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Absolutely. Staple this fine point onto my 'pan-generational' theory and you have a bit of a 'celebration of transformers history' thing going on...

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:

coulda gotten the rest of the ROTF and DOTM guys we DIDNT get.

Psyched for more generations guys!

20. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How could the Generations toys sell that much better than the DotM toys which were on most shelves at a 5-1 ratio?