Why so many Alternity colors?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, Jun 15, 2011.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wanting to start in on the Alternity series since I loved BT's but I gotta ask...why so many freaking repaints.

I understand the Starscream repaints...perfect sense. Convoy...red, black...great. White...sure all white repaints of convoy are UM. The silver one that's up for preorders? Hmmm. And what about the meg repaints.

Is there any rhyme or reason as to why, or just to milk people who are completionists?

2. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

I'm guessing to make money back on the molds. They will have guaranteed customers who will buy the Black/White repaints.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Use the colors that the vehicle models come in.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    First of all, Alternity doesn't have the luxury of seeing a global release. This means that the single largest cost of making a toy (Making the mold) is harder to recoup because of a smaller production run. To do this, they can either charge Botcon style prices or they can do several smaller runs of the same mold with color differences to entice buyers to purchase the same mold in different colors. This is also why essentially every modern figure gets a redeco. It's what keeps them in business.

The Alternity fiction goes a long way to help sell multiple redecoes as each one is representative of a different character in the fiction.

5. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, that makes a ton more sense then. Is the fiction included with the figures or is it a separate comic/paperback?

6. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I'm sure there are some colors the car companies wanted to see reproduced as well as the classic colors for each mold. So that's why each has 2 or more.

Randy

7. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

I think the fiction is included. It's in Japanese, though.

8. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could have been a great line. Fell short for whatever reason (always seemed like a BT afterthought... Like "what shall we do now with all these licenses we have left over?")

In an ideal world it'd return once Movie 3 is out of the way. Alternity Bumblebee was brilliant and I'd happily buy more like that! (the seeker mold, not so much - though I kind of admire them trying something different there).

Judging by the scale and details, MP-10 could also be Alternity Prime... Which is fine by me.

9. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im wanting to get the UM white....its the last i need... they are allgreat and even though repaints, the different color really adds alot of extra personality to the charcter :) 

10. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you are right there, I've only seen one real Nissan Fairlady that wasn't coloured silver, black or blue.

The only reason I even notice is due to owning Silver Megatron :D 

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Silver Megatron allows for an accurate Megatron, Silver Prime allows for two silver dudes if you wanted it that way. The black one-I think the original Megatron saw a black repaint as well. and the Blue Megs, I figure, is Galvatron lol

12. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. If you notice every single third party (Fansproject, Perfect Effect, etc) also has to play the repaint/recolor game to recoup R&D costs. It's the nature of the business.

Alternity A-01U Nissan GT-R Ultra Magnus - Transformers Alternity Alternity

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    English translations here!
    Transformers Alternity Toys - Japanese Transformers - TFW2005
    (disclaimer: may cause a severe headache)

I'm yet to pick up red Convoy, and have none of Swift moulds. I really need to get back to them before they becomes too scarce :( 

14. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    I was hesitant about picking up the line but they are nice..im not into repaints except for the seekers of course..so i picked up those three,red convoy,silver megatron,and bee and cliffjumper..no need for any else

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^That's a very good price...too bad I'm broke right now :(  :(  I know I'll be sorry one day.

17. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    Don't forget that since the figures are based on real licensed cars, TakTom also wants to appeal to car enthusiasts by offering lots of different colors to choose from, just like the car alt modes themselves.

So far I only have Red Convoy, Silver Megatron, and Starscream but would love to have Black Convoy/Megatron as well as Skywarp and Thundercracker. Black is just sexy, plus I'm also somewhat of a Seeker completionist. XD And if you have the TFC-005 Gear of War accessory pack, it includes a very nifty G1-esque ion rifle for Convoy that really completes his Optimus Prime look.