Why so few Fembots???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prime's Pappa, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

I recently got the Medic and Chromia KO repaints and got to thinking why so few fembots...and dont give me that crap about it being a boys toy becuase I had lots of GI Joes and there were plenty kick ass women soldiers in the bunch and with the Arcee fig and repaints and the ATF black arachnia Hasbro has shown it can make some great female bots and make them look feminine which would maybe attract more female fans so Im still wondering whats the problem????

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Girl robots don't sell as well as boy robots. Count how many GI Joes were females relative to the number of dudes, it's a lot more than transformers, but it's still something of a sausage fest. It's improved in recent years somewhat, but there's still a pretty strong male bias.

3. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a self fulfilling prophecy; girl toys don't sell well, so girl characters tend to get relegated to the background, which in turn causes their toys not to sell well.

Prime Arcee will be an interesting case study. She's been given equal billing to her male cast members, and has been shown to be just as cool and badass, so I'll be keen to find out how her well her toy sells.

4. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True, even we femmes prefer to buy the boy bots. :lol 

I do have the 3 cyclebots from ROTF, but yick, they are not much to look at in their vehicle or robotic modes.
    TFPrime's Arcee may just be the exception, I think it won't matter to fans and collectors for her toy.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've always felt that Transformers having "gender" was pretty useless.

6. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

^This might be kinda why.

It's a little harder to justify having females around considering new transformers are not made through sexual reproduction. I love femmebots, I really do, but the gender thing and TF is kindaaaa

yeah.

7. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

1/ Gender in Transformers is something to ignore along with scale, otherwise my brain vomits all over my skull.

2/ If you don't want to believe the theory that masculine action figures sell better to boys than do feminine ones, I'm not sure anybody can really give you an answer.

3/ Hopefully, Arcee and Airachnid (especially Airachnid) will be a turning point.

4/ Rosanna will save TFs.

8. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't understand why the concept of gender in Transformers irk people so much.

Transformers are anthropomorphized as all hell. They have human body types, facial features and mannerisms despite no reason for alien, mechanical lifeforms to do so (Yes, I realize there are exceptions, but they are in the vast minority). In fact, they communicate using verbal language, which is nonsensical given how they should be able to communicate by sending pure data to each other instead of having to first encode it in language.

So really, if we're going to give them all these human traits, why is gender suddenly a no no?

Back on topic, I for one am really looking forward to toys for both Arcee and Airachnid. Hopefully Slipstream, Strika and a few more will one day make it into the Primeverse.

9. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

It's a no-no because Gender in nature only really exists for sexual reproduction, which Transformers don't do.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I totally see your point and am with you to an extent, as I would actually like to see less anthropomorphized attributes with TFs. Transforming into a car isn't exactly "human". I enjoy Transformers with 3 arms on one side, or having lasers for appendages. I think faceplates and visors are cool and tank treads for feet pretty neat.

I think one issue I have with gender is that once the female aspect is introduced into Transformers, there's an automatic inclination to see some type of romantic or sexual relationship from that point. I think a cool idea would be to simply have "fembot" Transformers as simply another "type". Also, I've always thought it kind of cool for Transformers to be able to choose their personality development.

Also, it seems like people (fans and/or writers/artists) want to pass on their worldviews and ideas into things like this. Despite anything of what I've discussed above reflect very little on how I believe such things applies to humans. What it does say about my worldview is that I don't engage in Transformers simply to find the token few fembots to sexually objectify, nor do I want to see any botmance or "shipping" taking place. I'm perfectly content with Transformers either being friends or foes. I'd think there are better places to look in entertainment should I want to see such things.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The problem is that even with female bots being produced, the expected spike in female fans doesn't happen.

12. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everyone else pretty much hit it... I couldn't stand the Season 2 female Autobots. I didn't really care for Arcee either. Yet I loved G1 Minerva and BW Blackarachnia... and now thanks to TFP, I love TFP Arcee and Airachnid. I can't WAIT for the toys!

Now give me semi-show accurate CHUG Minerva and BW Blackarachnia toys... :D 

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I collect both GI Joe and the Marvel Universe figures and trust me that there isn't any flood of female figures released for those line either.

Since GI Joe started their 25th line in 2007 we've only gotten Scarlett, Baroness, and Lady Jaye in that style. Sad by the stinky movie line had more female figures than you'd see in the regular releases.

Marvel Universe hasn't been much better with the endless reuse of the same female mold to just touch on the vast number of female characters in the Marvel Universe. You couldn't even complete your Fantastic Four set because they released Thing, Human Torch, and Mr. Fantastic, but no Invisible Woman. Green Hulk, grey Hulk, red Hulk, and World War Hulk, but no She-Hulk. Ouch and it's insane how many cup sizes Shadow Cat went up because Hasbro will not go with more than one chest mold.

Oddly though for figures that Hasbro claims don't sell the female figures are the hardest figures to find on a shelf. The horrible Rise of Cobra line has been about the only line where it's wasn't down to just luck finding the female figures before the dreaded scalpers could strike.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't mind gender in TFs, I just hate when people try to explain it. It never, ever ends well.

Also there's more fembots than you might think, but they almost never get brought back or put in the spotlight. Instead they just rehash Arcee or Blackarachnia.

15. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Speaking of the season two female Autobots, I just thought of something. Why did the season two regular Autobots act like they hadn't seen the female Autobots in such a long time? I mean it couldn't have been that long, unless they hadn't run in to each other in a long time even while they were still on Cybertron.

But as far as the actual topic at hand, I don't have a problem with female Transformers. I mean I understand why there isn't a very large amount of them, as Transformers is targeted more towards boys than girls. But Blackarachnia was one of my favorite Transformers characters ever, and I really like the current version of Arcee in Transformers Prime.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Four million years isn't long?

17. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Inferno and Powerglide weren't a part of the Autobot team that crashed on Earth four million years earlier. I've always been under the impression that the season two Autobots arrived after the conclusion of season one.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There were only 4 GIJoe women & 2 Cobra women out of 100s of men. Don't think that counts as plenty.

And it is because Transformers is a boy related toyline. Boys don't tend to want to play with the girl figures. Just be happy with the ones they do have.

19. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Weren't the fembots considered evolved robots, with Arcee being the first? At least per the Energon series (not sure about the others). If fembots are the evolved version, then that's oh so opposite their earthly counterparts. :) 

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really like that one of the 13 Primes is female. That right there tells me why there are female Transformers. It has nothing to do with sex. It's a line traced back to the 13.