Why so few Autobots in Autobot city in 1986?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Phoenix Blaze, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Right, finding a title was tricky, one that wasn't overly long.

Why were the Autobots so outnumbered at the Battle of Autobot city in the 1986 movie?

I can't remember the exact list, but it goes something like

Hot Rod
    Kup
    Springer
    Arcee
    Windcharger (or is it Trailbreaker?)
    Wheeljack
    Magnus
    Blur Perceptor
    Blaster

And whoever it was helping Kup put up the sign.

Now, I'm saying that's 10 or 11 Autobots.

Cons number around 19 I think (6 seeker, 6 constructicons, 3 'secticons, Blitzwing, soundwave, astrotrain and Megatron) So nearly a 2 to 1 fight. Where are all the other autobots!!!?

Furthermore, how could the autobots possibly lose, in a defended position (a freakin' fortress city) with only half the amount of troops. And where the hell was Metroplex, over the other side of the city arsing about?

So yeah, where were all the other Autobots?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think it has been mentioned before that others, such as Superion were defending the Ark.

Besides, there were other Autobot as the City during the battle, such as Grapple and Mirage (I believe) - although the latter not shown on screen and I was going to say Blaster's 4 cassettes, but if you're just looking in terms of numbers then Soundwave's cassettes would cancel these out.

3. Phoenix Blaze

Is it Grapple who's blasting Cons alongside Perceptor in the long ranged scene, after Devastator has done a number on the Autobots?

But that's even more Bots to add to the numbers.

So my question now becomes, why were the Autobots losing!!!

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yes. The scene with the weird curved laser fire which goes on til the morning.

Gotta say, the one thing that's always bothered me about that battle, is that numbers aside, the Dinobots should NOT have been brushed aside that easily!

5. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah the Dinobots were supposed to be tough, but by that point, they were dumbed down (didn't think THAT was possible!) Devastator cut their ends. Only one to get a good hit in was Slag, and then he just quit....that fight was a major disappointment to me, even as a kid...

6. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Well duh...it was paving the way for Optimus' grand "You got the touch" entrance. I mean, Optimus rolls in there, pew pew pew and the battle is back to 1 on 1.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the writers may have been going for that Alamo sort of plot device.

If the numbers had been even or there were more Autobots than Decepticons then the Autobots aren't in a bad spot because they are in really good defensive position. Being out numbered though puts them in a bad spot so their defensive position seems more like a casket than the thick wall protecting you.

Put the Autobots in a bad spot where it looks like defeat is almost upon them and then boom Primes big entry is the great hero arriving to save the day rather than just the hero shows up to mop things up.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I always figured the Autobots, who were short on numbers for the entire war except on earth, were too spread out in 2005 to leave more than a skeleton crew at Autobot City. As for it being a fortified position, I think the Decepticons using an Autobot shuttle helped them bypass most of the defenses, which were designed to defend against a more full-scale attack than against single 'cons who had infiltrated inside the perimeter (I mean, we saw how useful they were once deployed).

9. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

You also have to remember that some of the forces were on the moon bases and probably defending the Ark. Like others have said, the Autobots were just spread thin by 2005. Also, they were low on energon and probably weren't at peak energy levels, like the Decepticons were.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have often wondered that myself as well why Megatron did not bring along a second combiner team.

But I agree with the idea that the Autobots were spread thin and low on energon and thus could not fight at top efficiency and I have always like to think that some teams may have been out scouting energon sources for the Autobot cause and too far away to recall in time.

I think I have heard said Metroplex was missing his transformation Cog at that time and there for could not transform during the time of the battle.

and yes it was all written to make Prime's last battle most epic and it was and not even close to matched in TF lore until ROTF and to my mind still not fully equalled and certainly not surpassed.

11. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Apparently there was a big gestalt/Omega Supreme battle going on over at the Ark. Menasor and Bruticus versus Omega, Defensor, and Superion.

Tactics also matter when up against a fortified position. Note that Devastator went for the automated defenses right off the bat and the Insecticons were shown eating right into the walls.

The Autobots also couldn't just totally abandon the moon base or the 'cons would just move right up from Cybertron and take it. So assume the base there also has a large enough force to repel a projected assault.

The Decepticon plan was actually pretty good, all things considered. Sneak past any IFF defenses, get one of your biggest weapons (Devastator) right up to the base you're attacking, send "sappers" (the Insecticons) at the walls, establish air superiority, jam their communications so they can't call for help, then hopefully kill them all before anyone can arrive.

Honestly, even with Prime's aid, the Decepticons had effectively won the war. The remaining Autobots were on the run, held no real territory, and had little hope of regaining it in the near future. It was only because Unicron just tore Cybertron up so severely (and by implication, killed a lot of Decepticons, including Shockwave) that they were able to take it back afterwards.

- Coeloptera

12. Phoenix Blaze

I never thought about the Cons winning the war after that fight. Makes a lot of sense and could go in interesting directions for purposes of alternate universes.

A dominant, Decepticon controlled Earth/Cybertron, with the Autobots operating as individual combat cells, trying to claw back a victory.

13. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    huffer was also ther too. and to be honest the autobots out number the decepticons.
    from 1984 cartoon season 1 to 1986 movie battle on the city: 68 autobots > 38 decepticons.

14. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hmm... 'ALL HAIL MEGATRON', Anybody?

sounds like it, tho i've never actually read a whole issue...

15. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    to be honest, if you throw in all the generic seekers, drones, and clone insecticons, the cons outnumber the bots bigtime.

i remember reading here awhile ago that the movie was planned and written just after season 1, and that is why we dont see the other combiners, omega supreme, metroplex, and so on. it was primarily the season 1 cast + a few.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The whole Superion defending the Ark is just a retcon to explain away characters not being present, but the real reason was that they didn't exist when the movie was written. Same with Metroplex. While S3 said the city was Metroplex with a broken cog, it was just a city in the movie.

Megatron's plan to get past their defenses was blown once Hot Rod began shooting at it

17. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

Ultra Magnus was in charge.... bad management I say.

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The complete reverse of what happened in Animated. Interesting, hmm?

19. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Actually, the final battle in Armada came close!!

20. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Cuz Hasbro wanted all 1984-85 characters to die (not all cuz few survived lol) :p