Why smoking shouldn't be illegal (help for speech class)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DX7879, Nov 5, 2008.

1. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I have a debate speech coming up, and need more reasons on why smoking cigarettes shouldn't be illegal. The other person is arguing why smoking should be illegal of course. So far I got three sources

Patriot: Smoking is Legal! - ReliableAnswers.com
    adn.com | Smoking ban : Keep smoking legal
    ConvinceMe - Should smoking being made illegal?

Kind of hard to find sites that think cigarettes should be legal. The reasons I have already are things such as bringing up the alcohol prohibition, there's already pollution from factories and cars, smoker's rights, and some more

My friend thought up that they would have to ban alcohol too, since drinking and driving kills people more often than smoking and driving. He also thought up the whole good source of state income from taxes.

Although I have a lot of arguments already, I was wondering if anyone by any chance has any other good ideas.

2. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
  3. DX7879

I was assigned the topic, and figured that the smoking should be legal would be easier. I can argue about the whole sales/loss of jobs.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It makes you look cool!

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Native Americans use tobacco in religious ceremonies, so there is the First Amendment freedom of religion argument. Teachers eat that shit up.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    There was an episode of Penn & Teller BULLSH*T about smoking you may want to check out, too. It's got some interesting arguments and research in it, and I think it's in season 2. If this is a college course and your instructor doesn't mind the rampant swearing, a segment of the episode would make a great visual aid.

7. DX7879

It is a college course. No visual aids though. That Native American religious thing is good. I'll need to look into that more

8. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Restricting a persons freedom to do as they please in their own home is just silly.

Case Closed.

(The same goes for smoking in Businesses the decision should be solely up to the business owner/owner of the property).

I am a non-smoker but I think restricting people's freedom in anything such as this (or even marijuana use) is just silly.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

this, and it keeps mosquitoes away, and draws girls in.

girls love guys who smoke - FACT.

10. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

Pro-smoking non-smoker here with some arguments:

1) Second hand and first hand smoke has not been proven to cause cancer. That is why the box specifically says "May contribute to cancer..."., or "Can contribute to cancer or birth defects...". There is equal scientific evidence that cigarette smoke does not 'cause' cancer.

2) More smoking laws means more government bureaucracy and more tax dollars to enforce those laws, ultimately creating criminals out of innocent citizens and hurting small businesses/jobs with higher taxes.

3) Cigarette manufacturers contribute billions of dollars every year to charities including children's cancer research.

11. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I'm a smoker..on the verge of quitting.*Smoking 3 cigarettes a day from a pack a day*
    smoking calms my nerves when im stressed.

If smoking becomes illegal, I'll still smoke.

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    It would kill a multi-billion dollar industry and harm agriculture.

The argument is automatically valid if you claim it will harm the farmers.

EDIT: Throw in something about people being out of jobs, too.

13. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

That argument is not that strong. If I had to counter argue it, I would give an example of a child being affected by the second hand smoke from the parent. The child obviously has nowhere else to go, and his freedom/health is being trampled on by the parent.

14. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

No scientific proof that second smoke is harmful. Also, not your child and not your business. Governments should stay out of people's homes and private business.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Stick with the whole "prohibition didn't work" kick as, well, it's an excellent example of what happens when you try and ban a substance that has been a staple in our culture since the start of our culture.

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I think it's generally accepted that breathing things other than air is usually unhealthy.

17. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a point there. Imagine if smoking became illegal tomorrow. Millions of smokers will suddenly find themselves criminals. I smoke. I know that if I were told that I needed to quit I would probably try to, but people try to quit and fail all the time. Do we lock up all those who can't quit? Do we have the jail capacity to do so if we did? Do we have enough rehab clinics?

Not to mention do we want to deal with a couple million addicts all going through withdrawal at the same time?

18. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Actually it isn't "generally accepted", hell on a good day the air in Los Angeles is worse for you than second hand smoke in a clean home.

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

While generally accepted, it's also a fact that small amounts of smoke won't have any lasting effect. Meaning second hand smoke isn't all that dangerous. Nasty habit and all that, but it doesn't affect anyone other then the smoker.

Again, this is what happened with prohibition. They tried to take away something that was in massive supply and a deep seeded part of our very way of life. It destroyed business and lives and caused a direct increase in crimes of all kinds, especially organized crime, because it made something so incredibly wide spread illegal and made perfectly good and honest citizens into criminals.

Prohibition is an excellent example of what happens when you try and take away something so many are so used to. So make sure to play it up and emphasize how ingrained smoking is, and always has been, to our culture and society.

20. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You better end it with this, otherwise you will get an incomplete.