Why should I pay for exclusives if they become general retail anyway?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by matrixprime, Feb 14, 2010.

1. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Granted it may be considered a dick move by some people I honestly think that this is the coolest thing HASBRO has done for us.

2. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I don't think this was a decision Hasbro made easily or lightly. After all, it took 3 years for them to come out with these.

The Botcon sets are meant to be neat little sideline figures, repaints of existing molds that make them into characters which might not show up otherwise, NOT something that freezes out people from collecting a certain line and ensuring that they can never complete their lineup of popular characters.

The Botcon 2007 set was a major miscalculation. Hasbro didn't expect Classics to be so popular when they agreed to give Botcon Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust, and so I imagine they winced a bit when all us avid Classics collectors found out we could either pony up $400, or NEVER complete our Classics Seekers. The demand for these three is far beyond what would be for a normal repaint, and is closer to what it would be for wholly unique molds.

Hasbro's options are to either create entirely new Seeker molds for Classics 3.0, and render the existing ones obsolete (Which is difficult, since the original Classics Seeker mold is sized to the original G1 toy, and really would require a Voyager-class to convince people to abandon) or choose the lesser of two evils: Make the few hundred who bought the BotCon set angry to make the thousands who will buy the retail Thrust happy.

3. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

Wow, alot of bitching over toys. I get that people are pissed at paying alot of money for an exclusive figure, only for it to be released later on at a way cheeper price. What it comes down too though, is that you people made that choice. No one forced you to waste all that money on a toy.

A fool and his money are so easly parted, and hasbro know this.... it is the botcon business model.

4. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Hell, there's proof that they care right in their name!

5. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

Not really seeing the huge issue. If you're upset over the loss of the exclusive factor, then cheer up, cause it's different. The exclusive is still exclusive, and nothing short of them literally flooding the market with the same exact exclusive figures from 4 years back is going to change that. If you're upset cause now poo' people like myself can buy a classics style Thrust if they so desire, then, well...you're a %&^$. Either way, though, the "investment" in the exclusive version is still intact, cause it is physically different from the version coming out in 2010. Also, probably a hella lot tighter in the joints. If this version is coming straight from the Henkei mould, then getting his arms to stay raised up is gonna require super glue or nail polish gunk, so the exclusive version is probably way better in that regard.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

bahahahhaaa

If you want to buy a $10 exclusive toy for $100 that's fine.
    Not me I waited . Stop being so selfish and be happy for those who don't have a Thrust yet.

Im going to buy 2 of them, with a wrinkly $20 bill, that has boogers on it.
    I love you Hasbro

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I purchased the 2002 set a few months after it was released but didn't know about the Fuchsia/crimson color differences. So, my smoking deal wasn't so hot once I realized my Vipers were Pink......

These 09 Vipers are great because they don't seem to be as popular as their predecessor. I didn't go out and buy the entire 09 set but the Vipers are selling for 8-11 bucks on ebay! Picked up 10 and i'm looking for more. The 2002 set was around 20 bucks a viper on the secondary market and sold out quickly during the convention. This set is still in stock at the convention club which really shows how unpopular this set is.

However, I can see why because Hasbro dropped the ball on them. The Paint applications look sloppy and on some of the Chrome visors, the glue gun most have gone crazy because its everywhere. Plus, one of my Vipers lost an Arm because the elbow joint was fused together. Really sucks but its an easy fix once my junker 25th Viper comes in the mail.

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just be glad that other people are going to get to enjoy the toy.

Thats how I feel on the matter anyway, maybe it's because I'm British and we haven't really had any exclusives that could only be got over one weekend, sure yours is special but shouldn't you be glad that people who didn't get a chance to own the figure can finally hope to own some version of him.

These are after all, only toys.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope they do Thundercracker at some point because my Takara version is balls.

10. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

It's a big thread, so I have no idea if this has been mentioned...

It's the nature of the beast.

Someone's going to sell this stuff for cheaper down the road. I see videogames I bought for full price down to $40 in a month, $20 in three/four. Is it frustrating? Yeah, but it's not something worth fretting about.

I'd argue the experience of GOING to Botcon should amount to something. And you still have a Certificate to prove it's a Botcon exclusive, not a retail one.

And lastly, who cares if I purchase Thrust for retail and you spent X on it? Does that detract from your enjoyment of the toy? Does my purchase nullify your memories of the event in question? If my collecting somehow manages to destroy your love of Transformers collecting, I'd suggest redirecting your priorities.

Finding something for cheaper, later, is a chance you're going to take when you buy ANYTHING. Getting your pants in a wad because something that was supposedly exclusive no longer is, allowing people to collect something they'd love to have at a rice they can afford, is just silly.

11. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    This thread is LOL.

If you spend hundreds of dollars on $10 toys, hey, there is a risk. Like was said, you don't purchases toys as an investment unless you are a scalper. This is different enough anyway, so I don't get the bitching and complaining.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Pol I think you hit it on the head. and there is significant differences between the 2 versions of the mold so i don't get what all the epic butt hurt in this thread is all about. True the Botcon Thrust might lose a bit of value in the short term but long term its gonna recover what it may lose and then some.

13. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Hasbro confirmed for bro tier.

Thrust is my favorite seeker, and I've been waiting 3 years for him. As they say, patience is a virtue. That's also why I'm getting MP Grimlock for half the price of the Takara one. ;) 

14. butz

butz slippery when wet

I didn't read the whole thread, just a few posts, but I'd wager if you spent a lot of money on the exclusives (either going to the con or buying them secondary market) on the assumption that this really expensive route was the only way to get them... only to have a very similar figure come out for general release a few years later, well, that's gotta sting.

15. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

entirely agree. if i buy something expensive, in my own opinion it's mine forever regardless of how much it would be worth ten years down the line. at least i got what i really wanted.

16. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the toys itself only worth the manufacture price and whatever IP/Transport/tax/Margin cost imposed on them. They became SO expensive due to the buyer impose their (buyer) value to the toys :p 

I think I read it here before; if you're still upset over repaints/rerelease/exclusives/whatever then you must haven't been collecting very long :p 

17. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate exclusivity. Everyone that wants it should have access to it. The value of an item should not depend on it's limited availability. The value of an item should depend on the quality and characteristics of the item. This is coming from someone who has both the Botcon Thrust and Henkei Thrust and expects their value to drop as a result of Generations Thrust.

18. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you go to Botcon just for the toys, buy an Iacon package or pay secondary market prices sure it sucks.

I went to have fun, had a tour of Hasbro and saw an advance screening of the movie, went on a whale watching tour, the customising class and got the toys, oh and stuck around for the 4th July in Boston. Not bad for the £2000.

You pay what you pay for the toys. Afterwards you have to acept the price will change and it won't always be increasing.

Another way to look at it is that without this set and its obvious popularity Hasbro and Takara might not have bothered to do the remaining jets, might not have added a gobot homage to the movie line and Darkwing might not have been such an obvious repaint.

19. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will probably never be able to go to a Botcon let alone pick up exclusives there.....so its good for me and ppl like me but I can see why exclusive buyers are pissed but you still got before we could ever lay a finger on one so I don't see any prestige lost.

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    you two both win this thread... game over man, game over...