Why should I pay for exclusives if they become general retail anyway?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by matrixprime, Feb 14, 2010.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok here's my rant and I am sure people will disagree but I want an honest answer from someone. I drove from St. Louis to Providence to go to Botcon and I paid the fee for the Primus package on the assumption I was getting "exclusive toys", aka Thrust. Now I wasn't too thrilled and yet not too upset about Gentei Thrust because it wasn't exactly the same and it being more rare than say a general release it didn't totally affect the value of the Botcon set which is "supposedly" guaranteed because of low production numbers.

2010 comes and oh we get general release Generations Thrust. Yes its not quite the same as the Botcon figure, but is it really fair to the fans that made that trip and paid that money just for Hasbro to increase their bottom line or because the rest of the fandom bitched because they couldn't make the trip or didn't have the resources to buy Botcon or Gentei figures? Then on top of that there's supposedly MORE seekers coming for Generations? Why should I go to Botcon and buy exclusives if FP and Hasbro can't ensure something is going to stay exclusive? How long will people have to wait before and exclusive Darkmount Megatron becomes regular retail and crushes that figures value? Why not just make the exclusives general retail from the start?

Like I said I know its not the same figure, but if there are general retail versions of Thrust, Thundercracker, and Dirge coming out what was the point of buying the set? The fact is it devalues the set and no one here can honestly say that set is worth it for Bugbite or Dreadwing. I know life isn't fair, but this just doesn't seem right.

Thoughts? Comments?

2. MMarker

MMarker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are all toys.

All toys are meant to be enjoyed.

Exclusive or not.

3. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Agreed

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with you and in all honestly, Hasbro should reorganize the "convention exclusives".

Maybe, instead of buying repaints of figures, why not give people the opportunity to purchase new figures a few months in advance of their actual street release date? I'm kinda upset I blew 60 on Thrust but I really feel for the people who purchased thrust at ebay prices over the past couple of years. YIKES!

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Yeah, why be a part of a mass meeting of people with similar interests to yourself, and get a whole box of stuff the average person can't get, if they're just gonna make one of them available at retail several years later?

6. a-town

a-town Well-Known Member

waiting for this toy for 4 years is not easy

7. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, Hasbro is finally making good for those of us that can't pay $270 for $70 worth of toys. The new version is different so yours is still exclusive. Are you seriously begrudging everyone else the opportunity to have a Classics Thrust in their collection because you're worried it somehow makes yours less special?

8. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I think there is a visual enough difference between the two to where you will still have your exclusive. personally I think the secondary market price for the botcon seekers is ridiculous. I honestly could care less. I'm getting my Thrust.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I don't pay for exclusives so I'm glad I waited.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    some people will go to see Avatar in Imax 3D and pay $15-$20 to do so, maybe even more. other people will wait a while, sacrifice the novelty, and see it on HBO on Demand for no more than they already pay per month.

when Animated Blitzwing first showed up on E-Bay, i think he went for $400. Go to Target now, im sure you could get him for $20, mybe lwss if theres a sale.

Some people went and bought the Exclusive Thrust. others decided to skip it and now will get the opportunity to get him for $10.

its just the way people are.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its not fair to anyone...

1) The Collectors club member who pays fees and attends expensive conventions to buy exclusive toys. Its really an investment keeping up with these things. How much is the hotel, plane ticket, food, rental car, etc?

2) The Average joe (me) that doesn't have the time or money to fly out once a year, pay dues for figures I don't like and then exclude me from figures I really want (Botcon Thrust, Dirge and Thundercracker).

I don't care if your going to create Shattered Glass Hot super pink Primes or Fuschia Megatron's but don't take such core characters like Thundercracker and make them exclusives.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I understand where your coming from, but to me if the monetary value of your collection is more important that your enjoyment of the hobby then perhaps you need to reevaluate why you collect.

I mean no offense to you but I collect for the pleasure of it not how much my collection is worth and to me that is the true purpose of collecting.

to me someone who collects for the value of the item is an Investor first and a collector second.

I am glad to see thrust come out at a decent price.

13. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Why should I buy the toys in the store, if I'm just gonna be able to get them ten years from now at a yardsale for 99% less money?

14. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn right I am. It's not my fault you didn't go to the convention because of whatever reason whether its thrift or you weren't interested. I went. I paid. Are you seriously begrudging the few people who had the opportunity to purchase something unique based on your financial situations, obligations, or personal views? It's no different from that perspective. If Hasbro wanted to release the figure why not come up with a different mold. The Classics seeker mold has been used so many times now the quality is slipping in later releases. Ask people who bought some of the Henkei or Gentei toys. Better yet release figures that people are still asking for like Wheeljack or Trailbreaker. Something that's what fans want but not infringing upon an exclusive.

15. thedrknss48

thedrknss48 Veteran

News Credits:
    I bought my Thrust because Hasbro promised they had no plans to release them since they were Botcon exclusive. Although, Generations Thrust is actually a rerelease of Henkei Thrust, it's still sort of like being lied to.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Meh. I don't feel bad, but the guy who bought my extra bagged Botcon Thrust for hundreds on eBay is likely ticked. :lol 

17. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not a matter of monetary value, it's a matter of business contract. The people who paid for the exclusives paid based on the principle that these figures wouldn't be released anywhere except the convention. Hence the certificate of authenticity. Now several years later that idea is being broken. Ask the people who went through the TFCon Powered Commander and D.I.A. Commander how they feel about it.

18. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

Well there is not much you can do about it really. It's coming out. people are happy about it. A select few of you will cry about it. Same thing happened when the henkei Thundercracker was released.

19. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    You said that Henkei Thrust didn't bother you. Since this is Henkei Thrust mold being released here, what difference does it make?

20. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Such is life I guess. I enjoy my toys for the simple fact they are toys. However, I do also look at them as an investment; an investment of my time and my money. I sell things here and there, but I keep my Botcon exclusives because they are unique and I guess I am just frustrated that they have become less unique.