why redesigns were necessary:

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kjeevahh, Feb 4, 2007.

1. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    can you seroiusly imagine THIS looking acceptable on the big screen?

[​IMG]

2. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Sexy red cross ftw, or it means I can't view the picture :( 

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's not really why the designs needed to change. I think they did need to change at lest some, but I don't think that animation illustrates the real reasons.

4. matadormi5

matadormi5 Well-Known Member

I agree, for the mainstream audience the original designs would be a joke.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It wasn't so much the tranformations that needed to be changed, but the robots themselves.

6. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ridiculous argument.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well... there are nicer ways to put it but, yeah.

But then again it's not really an argument.

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    just an illustration of how silly g1 really was that's all...

9. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I can understand the moviemakaers need for the change, but I really think the current and final designs are waaaaaaaaayyyyy off line. I think if they would go with the Binal/Alt designs, I would be a happy camper. and probably there wouldn't be any movie nay-sayers.

10. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

If that isn't flame bait, I don't know what is.

This has been discussed to death, and another thread by a fanatic supporter/hater isn't going to change anything. Personally, I feel that while the G1 designs fail on on almost every level, Bay's designs don't exactly strike me as being much better. For me, they simply fail for different reasons. Also, you do realize that you will never to change someone's opinion by mocking them, right?

11. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Who you were reffering to ?

Oh, What make you say that ? Why in your opinion the G1 designs will not work ?

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Not a very good argument. The designs of G1 are old, why even use them now? That is rediculous. They designs HAVE changed over the years already, see Beast Wars/Machines/Alts and BTS etc. There was no need for such a DRASTIC jump.

13. blueandwhite

The topic starter. I appologize if you thought I was referring to you. Posting a pic of Ironhide transforming with the statement: "could you seriously imagine THIS" is certainly a good way to get G1 die-hards fire up.

Allthough I don't like the nature of this thread, I do have to agree that the G1 designs are fundamentally flawed. The G1 cartoon designs (not the toys) essentially morph from one mode to another. There is very little in the way of actual "transforming" when it comes to the original cartoon. Even then, to engineer the G1 designs in a way that fundamentally makes sense in a live-action movie would make them so far removed from the source material that many hard-core G1 fans would still complain.

The orignal transmorphing robots of 1984 simply don't cut it. Even the Alt designs would have to be somewhat modified to function in a non-cartoon environment. Still, I do think some of the Alt/G1 aesthetic could have been retained, however ideas like obvious mass-shifting would in all likelihood fail with general audiences. Making a licenced movie requires a director to walk a fine line between the established material, and material that general audiences can relate to. With some franchises, this may not even be possible. Personally, I feel that Bay's robots are simply too far removed. Of course, how audiences will react remains TBD.

14. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

the cartoon designs would have worked just fine. why wouldn't designs like these look good in the movie?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these look better than any of the movie art we've seen yet.

15. flamepanther

To most Transformers fans, they probably do. I know they look awesome to me. However, we're not the people that will be the hardest sell on this movie, the non-fans will. It's not even a matter of whether they look "good". The designs have to look interesting and appealing to the casual non-fan audience whether they look aesthetically pleasing or not, and to communicate the tone of the film. That call is up to the director and producers to make. As hardcore fans, we're poorly qualified to say what a non-fan would want to see in a Transformer.

16. blueandwhite

Or IF they want to see a Transformer in the first place. At this point, I'm not sure if the very concept of Transformers will appeal to general audiences no matter what incarnation. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like Transformers is a property that the casual viewer is going to rally behind, regardless of the designs.

17. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

idk, i've shown ppl who don't know much about the transformers these photos and the movie designs and they said most of the movie designs are retarded, mostly megatron and starscream and they said they did prefer those that you see above, i just think it would be a matter of tweeking to make them more realistic and appealing. now i'm not saying i don't like the movie designs, but i would have rather of seen these for something like a comic or a new show as opposed to the movie. its like what would you rather see as a movie, G1, or beast wars? as much as i think beast wars is the suppior show in every way, i'd much rather see G1 and more G1 inspired designs and story. but this is just a radicial jump it seems, but who knows, the designs aren't going to make or break this movie, its the story and characters, which is what makes beast wars one the best animated series i've ever seen. and from what i've heard, they aren't approacing these characters with much respect, espically bumble bee.

18. flamepanther

It's the job of the writers, director, producers, and promoters to make general audiences want to see Transformers, whether they previously thought they did or not. That's an incredible task, but one which must be overcome any time some bit of geeky pop culture gets its first Hollywood movie. That's why I think we need to cut the movie staff just a little bit of slack.

19. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    none of the above applies, im no fanatic, i was practicallt weaned on arrival from cybertron.

quite simply i was doing a recolour of ironhide into g1 colours (see fan art section....) and came across this animated gif whilst looking for colour references, and was surprised at how ridiculous it looks after having seen the new designs

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Well, THOSE things can't actually transform into real vehicles without a lot of cheating, just like the G1 show designs.

and there's no reason alien robots would have human faces, either. that whole idea is outrageous.