why pay so much?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Apr 23, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i see something that happens all the time and i can't understand it.
    is it really worth it to buy a figure so damn far ahead of its scheduled release for those high amounts?

I like animated grimlock (kewl). but paying almost 3 times its MSRP just to have it first or something?

or is the plastic crack really that mean a mistress?

2. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

If you have the funds to do it then it shouldn't be a problem. I love having most of the Animated Figures in my collection now rather than in June and later.

3. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

It's a personal preference thing.

Some people just can't wait. I'd be one of them if I could afford it. I'm chomping at the bit for Classics 2.0, but I can't afford them on eBay, so I have to wait. I'm glad I'm interested in the animated stuff, that should help tide me over.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    why?

why not?

why buy toys in the 1st place? its for kids.

i have these monies that im supposed to buy TFs but theres nothing out currently that i want. oh, look at that, it pre release TFs, sure theyre more expensive but there still within my budget, again nothing else to buy. WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO?

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    because i NEED a fix of plastic crack from time to time:D 

6. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

I'm with you, man. 3 months from now, I'm going to have the same toys without having to pay what those guys paid. Patience is a virtue. Wait a couple months.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    For a hardcore collector, times like this are kind of a pain cause all the current product is repaint and rereleases, I'm not buying a toy again just for an upgrade. But to wait upwards of four or five months for figures I can own now? That gets annoying when there's nothing else. When it's not all that much more (three times MSRP isn't as much when you factor out the shipping cost from the other side of the planet, especially if you buy your TFs online anyway) then it's not as big of a deal, especially when a figure is really good like most of Animated is. It's basically an alternative to what is essentially a drought of new product unless you're a completist.

That said, it's down to a two month wait, NOW is when I say "okay, it's too close to pay more than retail." Two months ago when I got Bumblebee? Happy. Now? Foolish.

8. Deathnoble

Deathnoble Aristocratic Assassin

Savings, wise investments, or a lil' bit more in the 401k plan?

/playingdevilsadvocate

9. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah me too, no way I can afford the prices the guys are paying on eBay. But if I had a lot of disposable income I could see myself doing it.

My main reason would be just to avoid driving around the whole city trying to find them before the scalpers do. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm probably going to end up paying that much for the figures anyway once you factor in time and the astronomical gas prices these days.:banghead: 

And while yes, I am looking forward to the new Animated figures, I too am really chomping at the bit for the Classics 2.0's. :drool:  I haven't been this excited about new figures since.....well....Classics 1.0 I guess.:dunce 

10. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Why do people post shit like this?? Get a life and gtfo of these forums. We collect transformers and we pay alot of money for them because we LIKE them. Why don't you go collect stamps, hmmm?

11. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Hey, if you have money to throw away, why not? And you can always have the pleasure that you got em' before anyone else.

12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    why pay so much? Because that's how much they're charging for 'em of course!

13. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    well.. look .. most of us are very very impatient already. That is why people 'd bid /buy them early.
    Sometimes it is really about the "Time" and "desire" one can save... But I am sure that alot of us here have gone too far or they are just able to afford .

Actually Grimlock will be on the wave 3 and I hate to wait even wave 2 to pass... so I did get Grimlock at almost 3x the msrp... but it does look really good. worth it...

Also when we did all these non-sense, it is the best proof to tell HASBRO they should be considering early release packages for fans like us.

14. snappyjacks

snappyjacks Banned

I got Grimlock too. I figure thats where this sprouted from, my post in my custom thread. I had the money, am not going to wait for till who knows when for something I want , and it's to cool to pass up when you get it for under half what everyone else paid. Totally worth it while everyone else waits who wants to. :) 

15. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Well, TBH while i did grab some on Ebay, i managed to get most of them close to the SRP (local SRP, at least). To compare:

SRP deluxe - $SGD26.90
    SRP Voyager - $SGD49.90

Now here are the prices i got the Animated figures for:
    V Starscream - $SGD53
    V Megatron - $SGD48
    D Prime - $SGD28
    V Prime - $SGD97
    D Blackarachnia - $SGD56
    D Prowl - $SGD28
    V Bulkhead - $SGD35

According to this list, only V Prime and BA were near 2x retail prices. The rest are either slightly more, or in BH's case, really cheap. So yeah, I think its a pretty good deal.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We seek knowledge and understanding.
    and your argument is weak. We like them? that's a gimme, but it isn't helpful. all the other responses were pretty genuine and helpful.
    see, if these things were like that Ford supercar that came out a few years back or a Maybach, i would be okay with it. but things that are eventually going to get here en masse was a bit outside my comprehension.

don't knock someone who wants to know something. i won't apologize for asking the question, but i will for my "lack of vision."
    The smartest man in the world is the idiot that asks.
    The dumbest man never does.

guys, thanks for the insight.

17. razorchrist

razorchrist Sniper

I have spent considerable, and often questionable, amounts of money on Transformers, but even with a pretty healthy disposable income and the skewed ability to justify my plastic crack habit, I won't drop over $200-$300 on figures that will soon be available for $15-$30 out of sheer principle. And I don't like the fact that 90% of these stolen items are all loose, often with missing accessories.

I also have to wonder how much (if at all) some of these figures will change by the time they hit retail. I mean, we're already seeing Animated figures that are assumed to be Waves 3 & 4 getting sold while Wave 1 hasn't even hit a store shelf yet. For all we know, Grimlock will have a closed chest update by then. Maybe Blitzwing will have modified longer canons. It's doubtful... but I'm just using it for example sake. I guess what I'm saying is that I view these first waves of stolen product that show up months & months before the official street dates the same way I view new operating systems from Microsoft or whoever - I expect there to be bugs that still need to be worked out by the time they're ready for the general public. Even with money to burn, it's still too risky imo.

18. snappyjacks

snappyjacks Banned

NP, no harm done. There was another guy asking the same thing but in a more demeaning, argumentative sort of way in the Animated toys thread. That may be where tigermask's animosity came from. The toys should have been released a while back and it's Hasbro's fault for listening, though they kinda have to, to the retailers request for more Movie toys. So with all the goodies on ebay who could resist if they had the spare cash? Not I and I'm glad I didn't.

19. snappyjacks

snappyjacks Banned

Grilmock has been sold in the box with, an open chest plate. The majority of mine are not stolen, factory seconds pieced together and I am SURE of that, and they are production run figures. Not Protos, not stolen goods. Just cause someone may run a few extra dozen or more off doesnt mean they are stolen. These are made at independent CHINESE factories. Dont think there is just the seller the only one being involved.

20. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Impatience.

I've given into it several times and paid way more than what the figure's worth, but I still love 'em.