Why pay more for less...ram?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Spoiler, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Ok, computer question...I just bought 4 gigs of ram for my computer. Installed them all, and started up my computer to check the system section to indicate the ram part. To my suprise, it is only showing at 2.86 gigs of the supposed 4 gigs that I paid for. Only thing I can even think of at this point, my computer has a PC2-3200 speed, and the memory are PC2-5300, but are compatable with my system. Any thoughts of where the 1.14 gigs went to???

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Are you sure the mobo can support 4 gigs?

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

OS and hardware details plz.

4. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Yes, it has 4 slots and clearly states, can support 4 gigs. I am thinking it may be due to it being diff speed rams, maybe bogging them down a lil on each card?

5. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
  6. RabidYak

Your video card has some of it and your loosing the rest because your using a 32-bit OS, which can only shuffle 4gb worth of memory adressess and the RAM looses out because everything else in the system needs them first.

7. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    So, it isn't the memory that is doing it because of a fault in the actual part. I mean, I only paid $70 for 4 gigs. But, if that is the max I can get because of the different OS...

Also, the video card has been changed to a Geforce 8400 GS card.

I believe this is the link:
    Geforce 8400

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

hmmm...i dont think it should cause a issue...

and 2.86 is a odd number....the closest i could think up was 2x1024, 1x512, 1x256...

...have you tried installing one at a time (with the stock 1G in case), just to see if it sees each stick...i had a issue where it wasn't seeing one so i did this and found that one of them was defective.

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    No, I haven't tried installing 1 at a time. I was told, trying to install the different ram together would possibly be a bad thing, so that was why I didn't just add it to the old ram.

10. RabidYak

Did you disable the onboard video card in the BIOS when you installed the new one? It might still be active and making off with a share even if your not actually using it.

I'll second Omega Scourge on testing the chips one by one as well, it doesen't hurt to be sure.

Regurdless of all that thougth, your never going to get to use more then 3.4 to 3.6 of it unless you install a 64-bit flavor of Windows.

What are you actually using the machine for? I'd think twice before throwing any more money after a machine of that vintage and you don't really need more then 2gb for XP anyway if your not doing anything heavyweight.

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Ok, I did all the individual testing, all were showing at either 1 or 0.99 gig. Than I tested 3 of them together and got the 2.86 again. So, that is that part. They are all working properly. As far as the on board card. I disabled that back when I first bought the comp a few years ago. And had put the new card in. Did it come back on...I don't think so, because if I can recall correctly, the new 3d card didn't even show when the OB was on. Otherwise, if you can give me a refresh on where that menu was to disable it, I can double check.

As far as use. I use it mostly for online gaming, and internet. That's it in a nutshell. I mainly upgrade only the 3d card and the memory. Being I didn't toss a lot of money at the ram, I am not completely upset. I don't toss a lot of money toward the comp because I know, inevitably it will be obsolete.

12. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Rooks Gang Leader

News Credits:
    You're using two different speeds of RAM?

If that's the case, you need to put each speed in every other slot, for example, slot one and three would get 667, while two and four would get the other speed, however regardless of your maximum speed, the RAM will only go the slowest available speed that you have present in your DIMMs.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm running XP pro with 4 gigs of ram; only 3.25 gigs shows up. I wouldn't worry about it, you can only expect to see 3+/- gigs with a 32-bit OS. It's more than enough anyway, I rarely see games and other memory-intensive applications get over 600 mb of usage at any given time.

14. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Onboard, PCI, and PCI Express devices use the same memory ranges also. So they are what is eating up the difference between what you got and 3.2GB which is about the max you can use on 32bit. You are using up quite a bit but not that suprised with a factory built pc. Its still better than 2GB, but your not going to be able to use it all unless you got 64 bit anyway. And the performance increase you pickup from the extra ram is kind of negated by 64 bit performance not usually being quite as good as 32 bit.

15. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    The computer originally ran on PC-3200. The new ram I bought is PC-5300, which is compatable with the old speed. But all the new ram is the 5300 and no old ram is in there.

I am not that worried about it anymore. I am glad it at least is almost 3 times what I had it at.

16. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

You should be seeing at least 3 gigs. Most computers show a maximum of 3.25 (sometimes, depending on the PC, folks have actually had their system information page show the full 4 gigs.)

It always takes away the difference required by the video due to it being shared.

Also, some big box computers (Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc.) lock their boards bios so that the video always has memory going to it. Most of today's PCs do offer the ability to disable the onboard video completely, but there are times when you're stuck with it as is. Even if you have a PCI-e card in place of it.

Oddly enough, I have a 128 integrated Radeon in my laptop and it should say 1920 (or 1.9 gigs) but Vista's system info page clearly says 2.0 gigs of RAM. Also found out that my model will actually show all 4 gigs of RAM when it's installed, so like I said, some do it, others don't.

And no one seems to know why either. (I've asked several times.) But it's a good rule of thumb that you'll never see the maximum amount of RAM in your system.

Makes me wonder...if it's showing all 4 gigs, will Vista access and use all of it?

17. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Simple fact is.. Without a 64-bit system.. Your not going to get it.

Upgrade to a 64 bit system and you'll be fine.

18. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Yep I am running XP X64 just because of that reason.