Fan Art: Why Not....?????

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Simian, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Ok Ok...I know this is crazy...There are so many talented artists (illustrative, CG, writing) on this site both professional to the amateur... Who would be up for a huge collaborative project...A totally fan created CG Transformers movie....!!!! We have all the assets necessary to do it from what I can see...It could be done from the 'Bot' point of view instead of the human point of view...A total straight up Transformers mythos type of flick...no BS!!!!...It can be done!!! Anyone want to give it a shot...?

storyboardists
    writers
    musicians
    modelers
    animators
    texture/shader artist
    programmers

We got all the time in the world...

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I could maybe do some of the script and do some concept drawings for the TF's, but that's about it. That and I would want to do something completely different, and not have anything to do with G1. Basically I would want to go all origional on it. I'm not sure everybody that you could gather up would agree with eachother on what to do for it. We seem to have a wide range of opinions here. Peace out.

3. Simian

News Credits:
    No doubt...it would definetly have to be a democratic system from start to finish...

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I would help, but I'm already working on pretty much exactly what you said.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This actually got brought up a couple years ago.

Main problems and reasons why it DOESN'T happen are...

-clashing egos/creative decisions meaning potentially more time spent deciding what to do than actually doing it (this is not meant a slight to anyone, simply a reality of how things are :D )
    -working as a studio unit for no money
    -various different 2D/3D programs meaning no standardized media format (or causing some artists to have to purchase costly programs to ensure standardization)

Is a cool idea, I just don't think a grand artist unification project would happen anytime soon. At least, for free. ;) 

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

Should check out "Redemption". If only the guy who made that were around here somewhere ... ;) 

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to join I can draw pretty good. But first it should be clear what should be done like its it going to be G1? Then if G1 then only G1 fanatic should join-in to avoid clashes and creative differences

8. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

before you try to build a movie, merely try to do, say, a 30 seconds animation collaboratively. This way, you'll get to face all the problems you'd encounter for a longer project, yet you still retain a chance to actually finish it.

9. Simian

News Credits:
    All great points..hummm...I'll keep an eye on this thread...maybe the 30 sec thing isnt a bad Idea...

10. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

that would be brilliant but im not realy a drawer or anything realy compared with the other people on this site but mabey i could do storyboards or something????? and yes i think it should only be g1 and mabey people could make new tf's to go in it????

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I completely agree with this. One of the mistakes I made when I started Redemption was severly underestimating how long it would take to do. The rendering time alone on a full episode can run into months (believe me I know, I'm doing it right now). Add to that modelling, lighting development, animating, scoring, dialogue recording/editing, and doing the final edit, and you suddenly realise you have nothing short of a monster on your hands.
    30 seconds is doable; but you do need a few things set in stone. Visually you need a style; not just for the designs, but for the direction. Camera angles, that sort of thing. Colours (work out some sort of reference pallette for your sets, that sort of thing, and stick to it). And most of all you need a concept that everyone on board is totally happy with. Not just mostly, but totally. You get someone who's not all the way down with what you're aiming for, and it will cause problems.

Think small, start small, become bigger. That is the best advice I can give. Whatever you settle on, good luck with it. Doing something like this is a lot of work, but it's definitely worth it.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    The other handicap that Transformers fans suffer when it comes to doing their own fan film is that the subject matter doesn't exist in a readily available form in real life, aside from the toys. Star Wars fanfics are (well, relatively) easily doable due to the fact that you can put any semi-good actor in Jedi robes, build a stormtrooper costume for a few $100 and have a "CGI friend" do in some ships in the background. (Okay, it's not THAT simple, but compared to doing something live-action TF, it is.)

Regardless, unless you're planning to film a long-sequence stop-motion TF film, this takes a LOT of work. Are you prepared to act as producer and director and keep a bunch of fanboys both organized and committed to the task of creating a fan film? People gain and lose interest, come and go, etc.

13. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Take it from the pros, especially Draven. You don't want to bite off more than you can chew and doing a movie that takes place on Earth, no doubt will take A LOT of time and effort.

And in the beginning, planning is an absolute essential to a project of this sort. Artistic style and direction is paramount, but also how the workload is to be broken up. Sure, everyone knows that the transformers themselves will have to be CG, but how about environments, props, and the humans? Integrating all of that will be one hell of a chore. In fact the only way you could really pull of a TF movie on Earth without having battles in cities and the like, would be to pull a Beast Wars or in the distant future if humanity has wiped itself out.

So you definitely need to think things through story-wise and then see what's do-able, revise, and repeat until you're set.

Another aspect that's been overlooked is concept art. This is essential in order to create the environments and characters. If this can be planned out in advance, it will save you from the trouble of getting stuck in the modeling and texture phase.

And yet another thing, compositors. These guys will be essential in bringing everything together, especially because not everyone can render out an entire scene pending their computer capabilities. Even rendering will be a science in itself to ensure speed and quality control.

And yes, quality control brings me to another point. Depending on the style that's chosen, we have people here that are at different levels. Some are novices, others are pros, and then there are us who are intermediate.

My advice would be to setup a thread for posting demo shots of an artist's best work to see what positions they would be able to fill for those who are interested. Also, it would be good to request the amount of time it took them to build something.

Last thing, consider setting up a pow-wow on AIM for all who are interested in participating tp voice their opinions and get instant feedback.

If you're really serious about doing this, I might be up for helping in some capacity depending on what my work schedule allows.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Good points, Starcracker, every one of them.
    LIke I said I won't be able to contribute actual rendered stuff or anything like that, but if you do go ahead with it (and I hope you do) and need any technical advice (expecially for any Lightwave users, or music help), I'll be happy to try and help.

15. Star Cracker

There is but one other thing I forgot to mention, and that's the emotional aspect.
    Be prepared to have lots of bruised egos and hurt feelings from people that can't accept critiques. This is in part of what it means to be a team. To sometimes sacrifice your ego for the good of the team can be a somewhat difficult thing to do if you're emotionally attatched to your work (IMO, "she or he is my baby").

If someone crits your work, don't take it as a personal attack, but see what you can learn from it and make it better. Which is the other thing; in a project like this people need to be honest with each other and not tip-toe to avoid from ruffling any feathers. Yes, this might suck, but it just goes to show how far you are willing to keep stepping up to the plate. If it helps any, even the pros feel that there's always something wrong with their work (whether it's lighting, modeling, edgeflow, color saturation, etc.)

The other thing is the ranking system. I know that if I were heading up a project, I would NOT be delegating complex character models to people I felt weren't up to that level. In other words, Novice A says "I'll model Bumblebee!" and then gets disappointed because the Director chooses Expert B to model him instead and delegates the task of simple prop creation like stop signs or telephone poles to Novice A.

If Novice A is really serious about modeling Bumblebee or at least getting into the complex modeling in general, he damn well better show good props before he gets placed in a position with higher demands.

Let's put it another way. If you're the Director and Novice A can't model worth crap, would YOU want him to be working on a complex model? I wouldn't.

Just my two cents.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    VERY good point. People will get upset, hurt and annoyed over this sort of thing. Hell, I even had "screw you" emails from people who didn't get voice acting parts in Redemption.

17. Star Cracker

btw, you don't happen to have any VA openings do you? :D 

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I might well do, for Episode III :) 

19. Simian

News Credits:
    I have listened and learned....now comes the thinking of what to do...I appreciate everyones input and advice on this...And I shall heed it....