Why not focus your resources on making a good movie instead of

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Why not focus your resources on making a good movie instead of all this propaganda and misinformation campaign? What does it accomplish? Why not just focus all your attention on the task at hand - making a good movie? What harm would it do if someone found out information about the movie anyways? So long as its a good movie, people will pay to see it no matter what info is out there. I don't understand this entire concept of trying to control other people's thoughts. Why not just let them form an opinion on their own no matter if its negative or positive?

I just don't get why Hasbro puts out so much effort to control how their products are perceived. Controlling other people's thoughts is hard and shouldn't even be done.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    They aren't trying to control peoples thoughts. They just want things to be more of a surprise once people see the movie, instead of people knowing pretty much every detail before they even step into the theater. Makes a much better movie going experience, imo.

3. Putrecon

Putrecon Banned

I agree, as much as love seeing all these pics of concept art and hearing peoples opinions & things they've heard about the film I always end up wishing I'd made it to the cinema WITHOUT knowing that stuff and my suprise and excitement about seeing them was felt while watching the film as opposed to four months previous.

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Agreed.

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    honestly I think they have so much money they can do both. just hire an intern to spread BS it does not cost much and its something that can be done in a launch break

as for why they would do it? simple not to spoil it for every one. even those in the fan base.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This is just my opinion... considering how they found it hard to keep what they were doing in the first movie away from the fans, who literally pounced on every single leaked info, concept art, etc. I could understand why they would throw so much misinformation at us fans... they're trying to make us debate what's really going to happen in ROTF before we see it in theaters.

7. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

From what I saw from the trailer, this movie will definitely be good.

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Isn't that in itself a form of control? They are deciding for someone else whether it should be a surprise or not. Some people like to know beforehand as is witnessed by the masses who opine over leaks.

Control is many things. You can control someone physically by imprisoning them. You can control them mentally also. Is it really fair for them to impose their views on the movie going public?

I really am curious why you think "pouncing on info" is inherently bad. If you're going to answer that "it will spoil the movie" aren't you forcing your opinion of what will or won't spoil the movie on others?

Think about the other thread in the movie section where the mods claimed "copyright infringement" and deleted information because Hasbro wanted it that way. These were people's THOUGHTS. The thoughts were about TFs but they were not the property of Hasbro. Is no one else unsettled by this? They get to tell us when to discuss something and what to discuss? Isn't that the epitome of control?

9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Eh...you can make ANY movie look good via the trailer. That doesn't mean much.

10. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Yeah but it's not like they showed all the good shots. (hopefully)

Edit: Also, it's hard to make giant robots kicking @$$ and explosions not awesome.

11. Putrecon

Putrecon Banned

Let's put things in perspective though...it's a Transformers movie not national secrets. You need to take this to a Pentagon thread or something ;) 

12. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mmmm, how much money is spent by someone typing and saying some wrong info. Seems like a great way to save money. Just this trailer will hold me over. Heck, I would love to see it not knowing anything. It will be epic.

13. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Why? The philosophy is still the same. Does it only count as control if the Pentagon is doing the controlling? I think you're (obviously) trying to side step the issue and lessen it.

Since this is a site to discuss TFs and the TF movie, this is as valid a topic as any.

14. Putrecon

Putrecon Banned

It's definately a valid topic as it's your opinion and you're more than entitled it but the thing is I'm not trying to side-step the issue: all I see is the makers trying to make the film a surpise for us and I'm totally cool with that.

We all need our moneys worth from these cinema trips when you consider the price of them these days.

I apologise if it seemed like I'm knocking you, I mean no text-malice :D 

15. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Ok, but can we agree that its an individual's own choice to decide whether, when, and how to be surprised? Nobody else should be making that decision for them. Just like how people put the word "Spoiler" on threads and those who want to be spoiled, read the articles; while those who don't want to be spoiled, don't read them.

16. Putrecon

Putrecon Banned

Whole-heartedly agree with you sir but the thing is then you have to trust that those people don't choose to ruin it for everyone else because for every one that puts *spoiler* there's ten that will want to tell you just to ruin it for you...so how do you vet who finds out? it's easier for them just to tell no-one at all...and control what is known.

I LOVE finding out stuff like spoilers but I ALWAYS regret it so I'm a contradiction in myself I guess :inquisiti 

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't really know because the only way you could keep a movie surprise these days would be to not have any trailers for the movie at all. Between the trailers and Hollywood's inability to pull something you couldn't see coming there really isn't any surprise to films anymore.

Trailer shows you what stuff will look like. You insert the Hollywood formula for the time of the year it's released and you pretty much have everything already.

Talking about it last night with some friends and we all agreed the last film to really pull the I didn't see that coming was Deep Blue Sea. Yes it wasn't the best film in the world but killing off the big name during the rally speech, and the black guy being the one who didn't get killed, now that was different.

18. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    In a way, the misinformation/concealment campaign is genius. It makes us seek out more information, scouring the depths of forums and news sites across the web for even the tiniest bit of information. It's the next level of viral marketing. It's annoying as hell for many people, and that time could be better spent(especially in the post-production period) but ultimately it's going to have a positive effect on the movie's gross, with people flocking to see whether they were right or wrong about rumours, just how much they managed to keep under wraps etc.
    This marketing strategy has been used before, for the Matrix Sequels, although they didn't control their leaks very well(and the movies were poorly thought out). Bay and co. have so far controlled the leaks in such a way that we get information, but it's very vague, and almost all of it is stuff they want us to know at this point.

19. mikey_ak

mikey_ak Member

On top of all that has been said, Hasbro and company are not "controlling your thoughts." You are allowed to hold and discuss any opinion or conjecture you come up with. What is NOT allowed is people with contractual obligations who have access to inside information or images to blab or show that intellectual property to whomever they wish. They are being paid to keep their mouths shut about their boss's wholy owned personal property. I'm not going to allow you complete access to my home, computer files, medical records, etc. so that you may have unrestricted thought about me. Why should Bay, Hasbro, et. al. allow you unrestricted access to the product of their work for that reason??

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Why not focus your time and effort talking about things you like?