Why Not and Why?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Smasher, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Here's an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea, it's just an idea.

State one game that you wonder why it never got a sequel, then state another game that you wonder how in the world it ever merited a sequel.

If you can shed some insight on the games from a previous post, great.
    But please limit any new entries to one game that deserved another entry and then another game that didn't, but got one anyway.

Why Not?
    Dead Rising -not only was the gameplay unlike Resident Evil, it is hella fun and sold unexpectedly well. I understand that Capcom broke up the team, but they still could have pulled another team together and brought out (or at least announced) a second game by now.
    This is one instance where I think the storyline and game sales justify another entry. With the lawsuit I doubt it will happen now. :( 

Why?
    The Legend of Zelda -just kidding. :lolol 
    Sonic Riders -I understand that Sonic games seem to sell regardless of quality, but this one didn't seem to sell well in addition to the mediocre reviews.
    At least, I remember seeing it in the bargain bin before Shadow the Hedgehog.

2. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Why?
    Final Fantasy X. Say what you want about VII but the fact is it was and still is popular as hell but for some reason Square refuse to allow you to kick ass as Cloud again. You can watch. Or maybe have a go as Vincent or Zack but it'll be a cold day in hell before they do that sequel or remake people want.

Why not:
    Legend of Dragoon. I never did finish it but I loved what I played of it.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why Not?
    BioShock - Surprisingly amazing game. I had never really heard of it when I picked it up at Target, and I was shocked at the amazing gameplay and story. Oh, and its plot twists are the best in gaming history for sure.

Why?
    Super Mario Galaxy - I know I'm 100% alone on this one, but oh well. The whole gravity mechanics system just didn't go over well for me. Good game? Maybe. Sequel to Super Mario 64 like it was intended? Try again.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN! HE IS CORRECT!

4. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Why Not?

General Chaos- Loved this game for the Genesis. Fun, action packed and had a bit of strategy too.

Why?

Final Fantasy X-2 - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Onesock, sell me your Galaxy or trade it to me.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Why not?: Alien vs Predator, the arcade game. Quite possibly the crowning jewel of Capcom's scrolling beat-'em-up games, and the one I've seen in more arcades and restaurant game rooms since Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It never got a home console port, probably due to licensing issues, and absolutely needed a sequel.

Why?:Tomb Raider. Sure it was unique at the time, and came when interest in 3D games was building... but the controls were terrible, and the action was simultaneously boring and frustrating. But thanks to Lara's blocky polygon ass and freakish lips being popular for some reason, Eidos churned out sequel after mediocre sequel. Yay.

Onesie, you can talk all day about followups to SM64 as you want them to be, but I don't think anyone 'sides Miyamoto gets to say how they were meant to be.

6. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=94437
    Keep up sock.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Why Not:
    Beyond Good and Evil. One of the best games no one played. A fantastic little game world begging to be expanded. If you never played it the first time out you can get it dirt cheep now.

Why:
    The new Fitty Cent game they are doing. Didn’t they learn from Bulletproof?

Just tossing in an extra Why Not: It got one sequel on the original Xbox but I’m dieing for a current gen Jet Set Radio.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Wow, where the fuck have I been? Bioshock 2 becomes official and I miss it -_-

Why not?
    Eternal Darkness. Probably my all time favorite survivor horror game. The plot is amazing, and very Lovecraftian in nature. The sanity concept was awesome, and implemented very well. Just all in all a solid game, and it could use a next gen adaptation.

Why?
    Rather than use this as an opportunity to throw some hate out for FF :) p), I'll take this a bit more..serious I suppose. I honestly cannot understand there being a sequel to quite a few games. I could name off some obvious ones such as the new Fifty Cent game, Fusion Frenzy 2, True Crime Streets of New York. But I'll just take this as an opportunity to say, why the fuck is Peter Jackson making a new Halo trilogy?

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Why not: Beyond Good and Evil. It was BEGGING for a sequel. So was I. It's never going to happen. Psychonauts: same story

Why: Leisure Suit Larry - any of them in recent history.
    Seriously. The LSL games were kinda cool in a sophomoric way way back when VGA was the cool new thing, and the humor was occasionally clever and there was always the titilating (haw!) promise of 16-color breasts to make them entertaining to a young lad with a love for adventure games. But now... come on. Let Larry die.

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm fully on board with Beyond Good and Evil (see my post a few up :)  )

The Al Lowe written games had a certain corny charm. Anything that came after Love For Sail is just a knock off.

11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Why not?
    Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3. I know there's been sequels, but not a proper one. Legend of mana... sucked. Dawn of Mana... sucked. They need to figure out what made the first three great, and go with it.

Why?
    Saga Frontier/Saga Whatever... Seriously, these games keep getting worse. WHO ACTUALLY ENJOYS THESE THINGS?!

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    why:MADDEN-why do we get a new game every year that is the exact same thing.They add one feature and new rosters and thats it.Every other year or every 3 years would be fine.

why not:the kotor series-Microsoft is sitting on a goldmine with this franchise and are not acting on it.It is a star wars rpg with a awesome storyline for petes sake.Ok 2 wasn't as good as 1 but it still rocked and needs to be a trilogy.(unless i missed something)

13. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Might not count, but Dirge of Cerberus was a sequel, and Advent Children let you watch Cloud kick ass

Why not?
    Simpsons Hit and Run- might not be a worthy game of a sequel, but it was still helluva fun for those that didn't have GTA

Why?
    Most of the Megaman games- Capcom should've let the Original and X series end when Inafune(?) wanted them to. The Battle Network games were crap after 3, the same system over and over with a little change here and there

14. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

why not - tf armada game. you know it all deserves another shot at glory, maybe with animated they'll make a badass tf game.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good Thread

Why the HELL not?

Gunstar Heroes... No not the Single Player Gameboy one.. A full Fledged 3d/2d (Ala Castle Vania) sequel for the PS2/Xbox or current generation. 2 Player coop (maybe 3) with insanity and particle effects galore, and some possible weapon-build up

Why, God Why?

Tom Clansy Games. Sorry, they just don't do it for me.

16. flamepanther

Fully agree with you on X and BN. All of the X games after #4 have been disappointing. The Classic series has always been pretty solid though, with the weakest moments being #6 and RockMan & Forte (MegaMan & Bass), both of which were still very good games and well above average quality for action platform games of the time.

17. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

dude, this game was the only reason i wanted a CPS-2 emulator.

but yeah, i guess its all licensing.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh and I agree with FP's Alien Vs' Predator. I'm really glad that the aliens are making a comeback though.

19. flamepanther

I'd even settle for a follow up that isn't even a full sequel to AvP arcade. Hell, I'd pay to play "Alien Vs. Final Fight" if something like that were made.

20. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Why Not: Metriod Prime side scrollers. I know Dread or something like that was announced in 2006 for the DS, but was canned. I really enjoy the original Metriod formula(not that the Prime series is bad).

Why: Grand Theft Auto. This will probably draw a crapload of hate, but I've never understood why the game series has so much attention. Yes it was the first sandbox game and yes it has some memorable characters, but besides that its just a game were you can do alot of stuff mediocrely(at least to me).