Why no third-party love for Soundwave?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MIDIcons, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Did that make it onto tfwiki or somewhere? Be interested to see more about it.

I should watch that documentary...

Imagine if Takara kept releasing Soundwaves over the years, but always as obsolete video/audio media. Betacord, laserdisc player, discman... maybe even get as far as an original iPod. Or a Zune just to rub it in...

• Like Like x 1
  2. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Because MP-13 is perfect.
    FansToys Acousticwave looked hideous in comparison, so they were smart enough to never make it. If I were a 3P, Soundwave would be the last thing I'd tackle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

Speaking about G1 MP... Everything can be improved. But there are so many characters that are going to sell better because they still need a good representation ...

A completely new SW is probably far down the line. A repaint, well, that is probably imminent

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I hate saying this but I don't think MP Soundwave is great looking,sure he is alright but for me I always thought Soundblaster was way more menacing and eye catching with the black body with the red chest,he looked more evil than Soundwave.I guess I am one of the few to actually think this.I am not against anyone who disagrees I just think if they do decide to make Soundwave they should also do the same for Soundblaster,that is all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GRAW

GRAW Fulfill Your Destiny

News Credits:
    3rd Party do love Soundwave, they love the one that TT made. :D 

We have add-on from them, too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Mp13 is perfection. Well, besides the hip design, the leg kibble and the tape gimmick rarely working.

I want that undersized voyager KO already.

• Like Like x 3
  7. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Sure, and my intent was to answer the OP's question by referencing your post...not actually to explain to you why it's unlikely.

Although maybe you're just ahead of the curve... I always thought MP-10 was overrated when he was being called the gold standard, though I never really felt he "needed" a replacement, I just wasn't nearly as impressed with him as everyone else and thought he had a lot of blatant flaws. Then suddenly most people seemed to feel similarly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RondoCalrissian

RondoCalrissian Well-Known Member

I wish there was a 3rd party offering for Soundwave. All my experiences with 4th party versions have been disappointing. My Robot Heroes version was a train wreck and my THF version is barely any better. Ironically my friend's THF Soundwave copy is amazing. I guess I got a bad batch. I'd love to get a TT version but I don't want to pay the inflated prices and I don't exactly trust Takara or Hasbro's quality. Plus I'm not a big fan of the kibble on the sides of the leg and the shoulder tabs on the official version either.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ozymandias13

Ozymandias13 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
  11. RondoCalrissian

RondoCalrissian Well-Known Member

Good luck. My THF Tape Corps sucked too. I'd love for Cloud 9 to take a stab at Soundwave. Their Shockwave is pretty dope.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chrackalakis

Chrackalakis Astrotrain Engineer

Ebay:
    This. I was a fan of what FT was going to do with FT-02 and really wish it had come to fruition.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Yes, I can't wait for fanstoooys to do soundwave, prime, megatron, bumblebee.

The best company

• Like Like x 1
  14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Why? You'd have to pay way more for this than something that worked equally well, but wasn't a Transformer, and if you used it all the time, it would probably turn into a crappy figure. It's just not a worthwhile gimmick. Do you want a good figure? It would cost much less without being an MP3 player? Do you want a good MP3 player? It would cost much less without it being a toy.

I have this figure, and it's a great figure. It's a garbage MP3 player, though, and I've never bothered using it. Would have much rather paid for a deluxe figure than whatever it cost, I don't even recall, but it was fairly expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ozymandias13

Ozymandias13 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have it too; which is why I want it reissued with good electronics. I don't care about TF 'canon', but there's never gonna be a cooler transformer toy than one which actually works in its altmode.

As if this entire board wouldn't shit its collective pants for a Shockwave that could actually be fired to disintegrate one's enemies!

• Like Like x 1
  16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Disagree on all accounts, but to each their own.

17. GrimLocke

News Credits:
    If you take it around with you, then it’ll show wear. But if it’s just playing tunes on your desk or some such, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

How we haven’t had decent gun bots, Megs, Shockers, Sixxy, that turn into laser tag or foam dart guns... is totally understandable for this world in which we live in. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  18. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I suppose. But as it is, any time TFs have incorporated technology into the figure, it's far below whatever a competitive product would be that serves that function and probably costs more to boot. Not to mention, if it's sitting on a desk not going anywhere, is it at your computer desk? Could your computer not do the same thing for you?

Honestly, at this point I wouldn't care one way of the other. I'm probably not buying it either way. But speaking from the standpoint of old me who probably would have bought it for the sake of the figure, I'd much rather have a more reasonably priced figure and no crappy (or even good) electronics in it. And if I wanted an MP3 player I would just buy a far better one for the same or less than a TF MP player would cost. Never mind that my phone has that capability built in with a superior display and bluetooth to connect to a nice speaker system so an MP3 player is about the last thing I'd ever consider purchasing at this point, but I digress.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There used to be a non-Transforming working tape player Soundwave toy in the 1980s.

How about a Soundwave that has the ability to put a smart phone inside it to make the chest display images ?

• Like Like x 3
  20. GrimLocke

News Credits:
    I’ve got a couple old Zoids with dead motors cause I left batteries in them for a prolonged period of time. I had thought I did take the batteries out of them, but, alas, I did not. So, I am cautious about electronics in toys.

But, Soundwave is a special case.

I’m with @Ozymandias13 in having a desire for a Soundwave that can play song files. Granted, I’d be kinda iffy about plugging that into a pc, if I still had one and didn’t use a tablet and phone.

All the same, it would be sweet to package Soundwave with the files for The Vinyl G1 Soundtrack, though I’d be surprised if many people weren’t distributing FLAC files over P2P the night that released.

Still, at the size of Toy Alliance’s MAS-03, I am surprised that dowsn’t also have a working tape deck and/or MP3 player. Though, that would drive the price closer to $300, when $200 is bad enough.

Then again, there’s the issue of whether the rechargeable lithium ion battery in your figure is removable. If not, that’s a big liability, what with all the damned ewaste to be managed in our lives already.

Yet, that desire remains to have something like MP-13 or MAS-03 that comes bundled with Vince Dicola & co. and the Sunbow score preinstalled on something like a removable iPod Shuffle, following on from @Max Tower. It might be superfluous, but it’s endearing to me. Hell, I’d like tape bots that were basically a Shuffle with a head, limbs and tail, even if I’d be concerned about having even more batteries to monitor.

On the other hand, I would never fucking trust the unlincesed toy companies enough to plug their electronics into a computer. I’d still be twitchy about trusting HasTak or a licensee, but I at least have more of a chance of receiving damages from them after some eventual settlement for privacy invasion... :thumb 

So, on that note, it’s also a missed opportunity if they can’t get Rob Halford and the rest of Judas Priest to put “Screaming for Vengeance” on there, for “Electric Eye” and other good riffs. To boot, there’s a robot bird on the cover, so wink and nod and agree it’s Laserbeak, HasTak... :lol 

• Like Like x 2